Not going to the bathroom regulary

Options
I've been on this lifestyle change road five weeks tomorrow, doing moderate exercising and eating healthy, lots of whole grains, fruits, greens, proteins and so far have lost 11 lbs which is great. But I'm not having regular bowel movements as I should. I only go like 2-3 times a week and its very concerning because I thought that once I started eating differently than what I used to I would become regular.

I've had this problems as far back as I can remember but I had bad eating habits, so now I don't know what the deal is. All I drink is water, green tea and natural juice (once a day), I also have been taking a fiber sup and pro biotic sup and I'm still not regular. Has anyone dealt with this?

Replies

• auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Me all my life I take Swiss Kriss every night....
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I take a stool softener every day. That helps a lot. That, and hot coffee every morning. Drinking LOTS of water will also help
    especially if you're taking in more fiber than you would have in the past.

Stool softeners are available over the counter. They are inexpensive and don't have the "laxative" effect or dependency issues.
  • ohiomom1010
    Options
    When you increase your fiber intake you must also increase your water intake. I know they say you need to drink at least 8-8oz. glasses of water each day, but that is not for everyone. My mother deals with the same problem you have. Once I convinced her to increase her water intake everyday, she has been regular every since. Also try not drinking anything with caffiene in it. Goodluck!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I had that problem at first. I bought some lemons and put the juice of half the lemon in my glass of water. I didn't just drink it all at once but put ice in it and drank it all morning at work, I guess I'm not a big drinker but it did help. I did it for about a week. Now I don't have a problem. Good luck.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    All I can say is for some folks Regular does not mean every single day. Each person is different. Bowel habits change as our diets change, our bodies change and unfortunately our ages change. I found the activia yogurt is helpful for me, but only eat it several times a week (not daily). As long as you are still eliminating with some regularity I would not worry too much. Make sure you get plenty of fluids along with the fiber etc.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've found that pulses and beans help a lot, mixing the insoluble with soluble fibres, plus drinking loads of water. If all else fails I take aloe vera capsules - not 'aggressive' for the want of better words! Good luck :-)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    What's Normal you ask ???

Many people think that normal means having one bowel movement every day, but that's not always true. People are different, and so are their bowels. Normal for one person might be three bowel movements a day, and normal for another might be three bowel movements a week. If your bowel movements fit somewhere in that range, then you're on a normal schedule. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken ! Congrats on your weight loss ... Your doing amazing ! :)
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Not an issue I have ;)
    But remember, 'normal' is different for everyone. If you've always gone 3 times a week, that IS normal for you and nothing to worry about x
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else said, 3x a week could just be your regular schedule.
    I only go about every other day and I eat pretty healthy and drink a lot of water, etc. However, then there's my boyfriend who only goes once or twice a week, and has for as long as he can remember.
    So it really just depends on your body. Try a stool softener or foods with more fiber in them if it's concerning to you.
  • Lazlocats
    Lazlocats Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try supplementing your diet with magnesium. Very important mineral for the body that most, up 90% of people are low in, that will also regulate you. If things get to loose just use less. Start with 400 mg and see how you feel up it or lower it depending on what happens. You can try Senna teas and other natural remedies. Keep up the good work with the new eating; drink spring water unless you can get Kangen water. :flowerforyou:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If this is something you are really worried about, ask your doctor the next time you are in. I just had a nice discussion with mine about how food, hormones, etc affect my system.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Most people do not know this but you are supposed to have at least 3 healthy bowel movements daily. We each have 10-12 lbs of fecal waste sitting in our colons.... it's pretty gross. My doctor suggested Dr. Shultze's Intestinal Formula #1. It is all natural and has helped me become regular. Nothing has helped me besides this. Good luck
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Laney540 is actually correct. Before changing things or ingesting OTC medicines or adding things to your diet that you may not need, I would suggest speaking with a doctor first if you really need to. It may not seem 'regular' or 'normal', but your body might be on a very healthy pace as it is with only 2-3 movements per week. I worried about the same thing and did a little research with it, and nearly everything you find (that *isn't* trying to sell you something) will reassure that it's absolutely fine to be on that kind of an irregular schedule. Depends on your body, what you're eating, and what you're drinking.

Also, unless it's causing you some kind of discomfort beyond just worrying about it, odds are that you are absolutely fine. If it's causing a problem, though (i.e. pain), a doctor should be your first stop. I would just hate to see you jump onto a regimen that might be great an necessary for someone else but really isn't appropriate for you. Most adults do not need to supplement or take anything simply to "regulate" their bowels.

Just putting my two cents in. :)
  • Lazlocats
    Lazlocats Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Laney540 is actually correct. Before changing things or ingesting OTC medicines or adding things to your diet that you may not need, I would suggest speaking with a doctor first if you really need to. It may not seem 'regular' or 'normal', but your body might be on a very healthy pace as it is with only 2-3 movements per week. I worried about the same thing and did a little research with it, and nearly everything you find (that *isn't* trying to sell you something) will reassure that it's absolutely fine to be on that kind of an irregular schedule. Depends on your body, what you're eating, and what you're drinking.

Also, unless it's causing you some kind of discomfort beyond just worrying about it, odds are that you are absolutely fine. If it's causing a problem, though (i.e. pain), a doctor should be your first stop. I would just hate to see you jump onto a regimen that might be great an necessary for someone else but really isn't appropriate for you. Most adults do not need to supplement or take anything simply to "regulate" their bowels.

IF you are keeping waste in your body for long periods of time even a day or two you are toxic. Its not a good thing. Simple things like magnesium which is not an otc is great and a necessity of life.

Just putting my two cents in. :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? If your pee is almost clear, then yes, you are getting enough water. If it is a dark yellow, you need more.

Personally, I find my intestines love a clean water. I try to get 2-3 quarts a day of just plain water, and then I find my bathroom breaks go a lot smoother. If I drink too much pop, coffee, or liquids that aren't water, or just don't drink enough period, I tend to have to push harder and sometimes deal with other issues related to pushing too hard.

I discovered this after a doctor visit where we discussed some issues I was having. She told me to get a lot of fiber, but before I get a lot of fiber, I must drink lots of water. Fiber alone can back you up even worse, so you absolutely must have lots of water. After you've consumed a lot of water, you can add more fiber.

I agree though, that going 3 times a week isn't necessarily a bad thing if that's how often you've always gone. I do know that magnesium can give people diarrhea if taken too much, but for some of us, a runny stool isn't such a bad thing. Personally, I've never had that side effect, but some folks do.
  • Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem when I started eating healthy. Right now I am taking fiber therapy tablets (walmart brand). It's 6 a day and it's 10 cal. On the package you're suppose to take 6 at one time but I divide them. I take 3 in the morning with breakfast and 3 in the evening with dinner. I use to do 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 2 in the evening.