SUGAR!!!!

Options
No matter how much label reading I do; I am ALWAYS over in my sugars! Is My Fitness Pal's sugar requirments off for a 24 year old female? I know that there is hidden sugar in everything, and I have seriously been trying my hardest to eat things with only a few grams of sugar in them, but no matter what I do I cannot meet or stay close to the recommendation! Anyone have any tips on keeping your sugar intake low?? I get so frustrated about it, that theres a lot of times where I say screw it, and dont' even bother looking at the sugar cause it is not going to make a difference anyway!

Replies

• ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I gave up in the sugar department (I still try to be careful though). Just eating a yogurt and a banana puts me over for the whole day! That's ridiculous!
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar cause it was driving me so crazy. I know many people won't agree, but it's impossible to get any healthy fruits in and still stay under in sugar. I think it's good to incorporate fresh, raw fruits. I don't wanna give that up. I don't eat a lot of candy, or soda's or any sweetened drinks, nor do I do many desserts. Most of my sugars come from milk and fruits, so I don't worry about it as much.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    No matter how much label reading I do; I am ALWAYS over in my sugars! Is My Fitness Pal's sugar requirments off for a 24 year old female? I know that there is hidden sugar in everything, and I have seriously been trying my hardest to eat things with only a few grams of sugar in them, but no matter what I do I cannot meet or stay close to the recommendation! Anyone have any tips on keeping your sugar intake low?? I get so frustrated about it, that theres a lot of times where I say screw it, and dont' even bother looking at the sugar cause it is not going to make a difference anyway!

I've had the same post in the past. I too have a sugar issue. It's not that I'm eating unhealthy all the time. I've complained about it a number of times to my boyfriend and he says I shouldn't stress over it. Now, I just try to pay attention to it when I know I've eaten 'bad' food and try to control how much of that I eat. For instance, sugar from raisins... not a horrible food for us sooo... don't count the sugar from that. Sugar from the cookie you craved-- count that! Make sense? :-)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about sugar because of the whole "sugar turns to fat" you can relax. You can continue successfully losing weight as long as you have a calorie deficit. I wouldn't not eat a piece of fruit because of it's sugar content.
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS over on sugar too.. and it's because I eat a ton of fresh fruit everyday. That's the unfortunate part about the sugar allotment.. it doesn't differentiate between natural/fruit sugars and the processed stuff. Like a lot of people, I ignore it and try to focus on where I'm getting my sugar from instead of how much I'm over.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    First of all....Breathe! It's gonna be fine. The sugar recommendation is a little low, IMHO, but I think the intention is good. Look at your diary and examine where the sugar is actually coming from. Is it added sugar in processed breads/cereals etc, or is naturally occuring sugar in fruits and veggies?

I don't beat myself up if my sugar is over by 14 grams and I had an apple today...I think the nutrient benefit evens it out. Just be mindful of your choices and do your best.
  • Jessyrabbit
    Jessyrabbit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'm not to worried about it turning to fat. Just trying to be as healthy as possible and diabetes runs in my family :) nip it in the bud now. I just feel like the myfitnesspal requirements may be off or somehting if all of you guys agree that you can't meet your sugar goals. It just seems weird that they would have such an unattainable number. but O well, thank you!
  • Vulnerable64
    Vulnerable64 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I thought i was the only one!! This thread just made my day!!
  • rarou12
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    Glad it isn't just me having the issue. I wish that there was a way on the food log to track only added sugar. That way fruits wouldn't throw you over your sugar goal for the day.