Advice needed ASAP :)

Options
So, I am almost done with cycle 2 of 30 Day Shred and wanna try the Get Ripped in 30 and Killer Buns and Thighs, anybody have any feedback as to their results with either of these programs. I really want some abs or at least a more tone midsection.

Replies

• Korda
    Korda Posts: 1
    Options
    Do you have a link to some information on this 30 day shred?

I am doing the 30 day Paleo challenge at the moment, wonder if it's similar?

:)
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Do you have a link to some information on this 30 day shred?

I am doing the 30 day Paleo challenge at the moment, wonder if it's similar?

:)

The 30 Day Shred is done by Jillian Michaels, a former trainer on the tv show The Biggest Loser. It's based on 3 levels with each one getting more intense. The reviews for it are great and most people report wonderful results. I'm currently doing it myself for the first time and am on day 4 of the first level. I recommend it!
  • ecarlste
    ecarlste Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fundamentally, "tone" comes down to only 2 things. The amount of body fat you have, and the size of the muscles you underneath the fat. If you have a very low body fat percentage you are going to look "toned". For men typically when they pinch a their fat layer over their six pack, if there is more than a half inch of fat over the muscle won't show up. However, if you have 1/2 inch or less of thickness when pinching the fat layer and your abs still don't show, then you need to build more mass in the abs. I am unfamiliar with what a good judge of thickness for stomach fat before more ab mass is needed to show a six pack, but if all you want is to look fit and trim then the mass of your ab muscles isn't a concern.

This being said, the only say to lose body fat is to burn calories!!! A good way to figure out which cardio routine will give you a better fat burn is to use a heart rate monitor that counts calories burned. Do all of your workouts with as MUCH INTENSITY as you possibly can, and see how many calories you burn doing each of them. Whichever burns the most calories in a given amount of time will help you get toned faster.

Another thing... unless you are using weights and increasing the amount you are using, you will primarily be working your Type I muscle fibers (endurance) and not working your Type II muscle fibers. This means you won't build a significant amount of muscle mass. This is a great thing if you don't want to get any larger and just want to slim down. However, something to keep in mind is that the more muscle mass you have, the more calories it takes your body to fuel those muscles even when you are doing absolutely nothing. So, having a higher muscle mass will raise your metabolism and also your resting metabolic rate, so increasing weights for women is absolutely perfect for getting toned. Don't worry, without steroids or growth hormones it's simply not possible for women to get BIG, since your body has incredibly small amounts of testosterone compared to men.

If you want a quick read that has a ton of good info on burning fat as fast as possible check out Body for Life.

Also, bodybuilding.com has a spectacular section for women with a ton of great information on nutrition and exercise.

Don't forget to fuel your body well too so your energy levels are as high as possible to get maximal intensity from your workouts and burn the most calories you can!!!

Hope this helped a bit, sorry I don't have any personal experience with the actual videos you are using.
  • sdmcbride10
    sdmcbride10 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks, very helpful information.
  • stardust91
    Options
    So, I am almost done with cycle 2 of 30 Day Shred and wanna try the Get Ripped in 30 and Killer Buns and Thighs, anybody have any feedback as to their results with either of these programs. I really want some abs or at least a more tone midsection.

I think you should definitley go for it! i absolutely love the Jillian DVDs. I lost inches within 2 weeks of starting it. :D
  • Dr_Farru
    Dr_Farru Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Fundamentally, "tone" comes down to only 2 things. The amount of body fat you have, and the size of the muscles you underneath the fat. If you have a very low body fat percentage you are going to look "toned". For men typically when they pinch a their fat layer over their six pack, if there is more than a half inch of fat over the muscle won't show up. However, if you have 1/2 inch or less of thickness when pinching the fat layer and your abs still don't show, then you need to build more mass in the abs. I am unfamiliar with what a good judge of thickness for stomach fat before more ab mass is needed to show a six pack, but if all you want is to look fit and trim then the mass of your ab muscles isn't a concern.

This being said, the only say to lose body fat is to burn calories!!! A good way to figure out which cardio routine will give you a better fat burn is to use a heart rate monitor that counts calories burned. Do all of your workouts with as MUCH INTENSITY as you possibly can, and see how many calories you burn doing each of them. Whichever burns the most calories in a given amount of time will help you get toned faster.

Another thing... unless you are using weights and increasing the amount you are using, you will primarily be working your Type I muscle fibers (endurance) and not working your Type II muscle fibers. This means you won't build a significant amount of muscle mass. This is a great thing if you don't want to get any larger and just want to slim down. However, something to keep in mind is that the more muscle mass you have, the more calories it takes your body to fuel those muscles even when you are doing absolutely nothing. So, having a higher muscle mass will raise your metabolism and also your resting metabolic rate, so increasing weights for women is absolutely perfect for getting toned. Don't worry, without steroids or growth hormones it's simply not possible for women to get BIG, since your body has incredibly small amounts of testosterone compared to men.

If you want a quick read that has a ton of good info on burning fat as fast as possible check out Body for Life.

Also, bodybuilding.com has a spectacular section for women with a ton of great information on nutrition and exercise.

Don't forget to fuel your body well too so your energy levels are as high as possible to get maximal intensity from your workouts and burn the most calories you can!!!

Hope this helped a bit, sorry I don't have any personal experience with the actual videos you are using.
    very informative post.. thx :-)