Slim Fast?

Options
Whats your take on the Slim fast 3-2-1 ??
Have you done it, if yes has it worked? what did you do?

Im thinking of doing just the shakes for breakfast cause that is the one part of my day i cant get wrapped around.

Replies

• jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's all sugar!! I'd recommend using sugar-free Protein Powder and making your own shakes. I drink Muscle Milk Light. You can buy a 4-pack for around $6.50, they have no sugar and they're only 100 calories. I drink them after my work outs when I'm STARVING but don't want to waste calories on a big protein packed meal.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have not done the whole program, but have replaced meals with the shakes before....usually breakfast or sometimes lunch. I did lose on it! Just be sure that when you stop drinking them that you are really watching what you're eating. It will be easy to gain it back. It is a great tool to use if you need a super quick breakfast!
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have used the shakes previously (no success there). They taste pretty good, and I enjoyed the convenience. I think they have too much sugar (compared to the other nutrients)for me though, and they didn't make me feel full very long. I would advise having them with something if they don't keep you full like slimfast + carrots?
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    my husband did slim fast. worked brilliantly if you can stick to it, however as soon as he stared eating 'normally' again the weight went back on plus more! Looking into it you can get much more variety with a calorie controlled diet instead of limiting yourself to shakes all day.
  • CherylM2015
    CherylM2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Slim fast is pretty junky - not great for you at all.

If I were you, I would buy some good quality whey protein and make your own shakes in the morning. Mix with some skim milk and some fruit - pair with a piece of WW toast and you have yourself a complete breakfast in about 5 mins.
  • AmyJo54915
    Options
    I have not done the whole program, but have replaced meals with the shakes before....usually breakfast or sometimes lunch. I did lose on it! Just be sure that when you stop drinking them that you are really watching what you're eating. It will be easy to gain it back. It is a great tool to use if you need a super quick breakfast!

I used them for a while...couldn't stick to the whole plan...you can only have just so much chocolate (never thought I'd say that!). One for breakfast is ok, I did lose some weight on it, but I wouldn't do it again...
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    I tried it with no success mainly because all the sugar gave me such a headache I couldn't stay on it for long enough to let it work I guess.. Sorry I'm not much help
  • mrzpeep1
    mrzpeep1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I bought a can of the carnation breakfast and mixed that in skim milk. Drink with apple. easy fast 300 cal breakfast!
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've tried the drinks both french and chocolate and they were yuck! I waste money on them. I never tried the nutrition bars though
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've done slim fast. I lost an excruciating 30 pounds, even though I had binges frequently because I was hungry all the time. When I stopped it and ate actual food and meals again, I gained 40. Try something you can maintain for life and you will be much happier during and after your weight loss- this goes to everyone, not just OP, since she's mostly talking breakfast.. They're just not really good for you.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hmm, if you want something fast I'd think Naked smoothies, especially the fruit + veg would be a good option (though lots more expensive). You can take them on the go, there's no sugar in them, and no synthetic stuff that leaves you craving more of it... and you get more used to fruits and vegetables, so that you actually start craving those more. :D Or, if you have the time, you could just make your own breakfast smoothies for cheaper.

I tried slim fast and it was okay, but it didn't feel like a real step towards being healthy in the long-term. *Edit/add:* Drinking more smoothies *did* feel like a positive step, because I actually crave smoothies now - drinking a banana/spinach smoothie for lunch right now! Yum!! :D
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    It's a rip off. From what I hear it's basically a 1200 calorie diet full of sugar. You could put yourself on a 1200 calorie diet that is a lot cheaper and healthier. I don't see a problem with meal replacements now and again when you're on the run, but I have no idea why someone would want to do meal replacements all the time....I couldn't imagine it being satisfying.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Slimfast but I sometimes get those shakes or instant breakfast because sometimes I don't feel like eating but I know I need the nutrients. I don't think they helped me lose any weight though...

If you have a few minutes to throw something together I would go for smoothies. Green smoothies are awesome!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I tried doing the Slim Fast plan right before I found out I was pregnant with my second child; I lost 2-3lbs then had to stop. I have to admit I was hungry all the time. It sucked.

Then I used Slim Fast shakes to teach me to eat breakfast again. It worked fantastic for that and since I wasn't used to having anything in the morning, I was pretty full.

Now I could probably have one and it wouldn't satisfy any hunger. I imagine it would make a great substitute for a chocolate shake if I ever find myself craving one.