Halp - Sorta bad NSV and some advice..

Options
...so I went and ordered some clothes last week - for the shirts, i ordered my usual size.. 3x.. however, they're all tooooo big for me.. Which is like "w00t, NSV..let's go!!!" and then "crap.. got these nice clothes and they look frumpy on me.. :( " ..

The button up shirt i'm not too worried about, but the 2 sweaters, I'd like to shrink them one size down.. I've seen 3 different combinations of how to achieve this..

1. Wash Hot / dry high heat
2. Wash Hot / flat dry
3. Wash Warm / Hot dry

Now the last thing I want to do is overshrink the things, (then I guess I'd have an NSV for once I could fit into those..!! lol ) so any suggestions would be appreciated..!!

M

Replies

• jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I want to shrink things I wash them on cold and dry on high heat. It usually shrinks enough to fit right, but not too much that I can't wear it.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Don't try to shrink them. You WILL over shrink them and then they WILL stretch out and look awful. You're going to be much better off exchanging them and just paying the shipping over again.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Can't you return them and order smaller sizes?
    Most stores let you return things that don't fit, especially catalog orders, because its such a guessing game.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The problem with shrinking is, they may shrink in length, but not around, which I'm guessing you need. No chance of exchanging them for a smaller size?
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I would just exchange them. Even if you shrink them they will never lay right.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Exchange! If you can. :)
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Don't try to shrink them. You WILL over shrink them and then they WILL stretch out and look awful. You're going to be much better off exchanging them and just paying the shipping over again.

I agree. They will warp into funny shapes. Treat yourself to some new ones in the proper size. :wink:
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Can't you return them and order smaller sizes?
    Most stores let you return things that don't fit, especially catalog orders, because its such a guessing game.

This would have been what I would have done...
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Send them back and get the right size. If you mess them up you just wasted all that money! Most every retailer will take returns.
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    And the votes for exchange/return wins!! I just haaaate waiting.. but perhaps they have the smaller size (2x) in a local store and can exchange there.. *crosses fingers*

Thanks ya'll..
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Depending on what the sweaters are made of...they may not shrink. I have made the mistake of trying to shrink sweaters and have had them get BIGGER! Or you get the opposite....they shrink beyond wearablilty by anyone. If you can't return them, first try using a spray bottle and water to just dampen the sweater and throw it in the dryer on MEDIUM for 20 minutes or so. If it shrinks too much you can toss it in the washer rinse cycle with liquid fabric softener. When you get it out lay it flat and stretch it to shape and let it dry. Once it is dry you can soften it up by putting it in the dryer with a couple tennis balls (or dryer balls) on air fluff.
  • Hollirot
    Hollirot Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wash in cold, and dry them in hot. I'm unsure if that method would shrink them down an entire size though.
  • andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'll purchase them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Return them and exchange for a smaller size.
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Find a tailor if you don't want to go through the hassle of returning them. It's always nice to have custom fit clothes!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I would return them too! :) Seems like when you want something to shrink it doesn't.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Send them back!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    As I've been shrinking I've run across the same issue. I just decided to buy stuff that is normally 1 size smaller than usual. Currently 2XL, and just use it as motivation for when I lose more weight it will fit...eventually. lol.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    As I've been shrinking I've run across the same issue. I just decided to buy stuff that is normally 1 size smaller than usual. Currently 2XL, and just use it as motivation for when I lose more weight it will fit...eventually. lol.
    I went through my closet at the weekend, trying to find clothes I could wear to work - most of my "old" clothes are now too big. :smile: However, the problem is to try to find clothes to fit, whilst your body keeps on changing!

I was thinking its a pity that we can set up some sort of "clothes exchange" - the way friends do with their children's clothes as they are outgrown.

I end up giving my "old" clothes to charity, so at least someone else is benefiting from them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!