body fat at 21% but cant lose any more weight

Options
I have lost 63lbs and gave myself a target weight which i am 6-8lb from. Problem is i cant lose it, tried lowering calories, tried increasing calories and every week i get on the scales and its always more than the previous week so matter how much i eat or exercise.

i walk 4 miles every other day to help lower my calories, but recently i stopped because i have lost ALL motivation and to see if this would have an effect on the weight lose.

It seems no matter how good i am or how much i exercise i am literally hitting a brick wall.

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You have made AMAZING progress, and 21% is in the healthy range.

Perhaps maintaining for a while would let your body settle in before the final stretch.
  • ElleEmmeKay
    Options
    When ever I hit a plateau, I mix things up with a detox for a few days. Like juicing or the master cleanse. I know these types of diets are very controversal but I only do it for 3-5 days and it really gets my metabolism going. Today is actually day one of me detoxing with a juice fast.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya...except its been three months. I keep losing and gaining the same three pounds and I am sick of it. I am thinking my body is telling me "that's enough" but my mind is arguing! Keep at it. One day at a time. Remember this is a life long adventure, not a sprint to the finish. (But I agree it is not nearly as fun when the numbers and clothing sizes are no longer going down)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you-- last night I finally ordered an exercise video to try. I'm pretty limited in what I can do but I think my workout needs a change up. But I've been the same-- 3 months now with no change at all no matter how "good" I am. I finally decided that without some other type of exercise my body is content to stay at this size; it is in my healthy range but just barely.
  • sdoherty1000
    sdoherty1000 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i have done the mastercleanse before and lasted a week. I am not happy with my body ( my wife calls it fatarexia- she believes my mind is still in fat mode)

if i spend a few weeks at 1200 calories i dont loose- if i increase to 1800 calories i dont loose so im at a total lose now. Maybe the mastercleanse for a week is a good idea??
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    If you're hitting a plateau, you probably need to mix things up.

Our bodies are designed to adapt, so it's very normal for our bodies to become accustomed to your exercise regiment.

I'm not sure what you have access to, but try different things. It sounds like you're only doing cardio, so try to mix something new. (biking, the elliptical or treadmill, power waking, jogging, etc...) You can even change frequency, duration or distance.

Good luck!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump your calories back up to 1800 and start lifting weights along with cardio. Concentrate on inches gone instead of pounds gone.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    How many days/week do you lift?
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have lost 63lbs and gave myself a target weight which i am 6-8lb from. Problem is i cant lose it, tried lowering calories, tried increasing calories and every week i get on the scales and its always more than the previous week so matter how much i eat or exercise.

i walk 4 miles every other day to help lower my calories, but recently i stopped because i have lost ALL motivation and to see if this would have an effect on the weight lose.

It seems no matter how good i am or how much i exercise i am literally hitting a brick wall.

Sdoherty1000, have you been working the formula each time you did a weigh in to see how much fat you have lost? Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing.

21% body fat percentage is a good percentage, it might be the place you need to be, because if you get any lower than that, you can start losing lean body mass.

If you don't mind me asking. What was your original weight and body fat percentage?
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    have you tried the zigzag calorie thing? eat very few calories one day, then splurge a little the next, and alternate? this can help break a plateau because eating fewer cals for a while will make your metabolism slow down and this will reset it. try!
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

You should be busting your *kitten* in the gym and not just walk 4 miles every other day. Also 1200 calories for a male?? Damn aren't you starving bru?
  • fastmethod
    fastmethod Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i would take 2 weeks off
    this has happened to me before.
    I took 2 weeks off switched up everything
    when i went back my progress was even faster.
    unfortunatly last time i took a 2 week break it ended up being 2 years! hence the current fatness lol
    can i ask are you doing any resistance training?
  • sdoherty1000
    Options
    Due to knee problems and lack of motivation all gym work has stopped to see if that gets the weight off (sadly NO)

Yes 1200 a day is a little like starving myself ( hence the increase to 1800)

I havent logged for 3 weeks to give my body a reset.

I didnt look at my percentages when i started back in January but looking back at the photos I was MASSIVE!! so Im guessing they were high.

Although I have increased my calories to 1800 (ish) a day im not having regualr bowel movements (sorry) and feel hungry about every 2 hours (except when i sleep)

Thanks guys

Steve x
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Due to knee problems and lack of motivation all gym work has stopped to see if that gets the weight off (sadly NO)

Yes 1200 a day is a little like starving myself ( hence the increase to 1800)

I havent logged for 3 weeks to give my body a reset.

I didnt look at my percentages when i started back in January but looking back at the photos I was MASSIVE!! so Im guessing they were high.

Although I have increased my calories to 1800 (ish) a day im not having regualr bowel movements (sorry) and feel hungry about every 2 hours (except when i sleep)

Thanks guys

Steve x

Okay, your body fat percentage is 21%. If you don't mind me asking, what is your current weight?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Steve,

It is absolutely critical for you to lift weights (or do something that provides progressive resistance) and increase your intake if your goal is to be "lean". Even if you did manage (somehow) to get into the low teens by just doing cardio, it won't look pretty, trust me.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Steve,

It is absolutely critical for you to lift weights (or do something that provides progressive resistance) and increase your intake if your goal is to be "lean". Even if you did manage (somehow) to get into the low teens by just doing cardio, it won't look pretty, trust me.

Steve this is solid advice^
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Check all of your settings and change your weight loss goal to lose 0.5 lbs. per week and see how many calories MFP suggests. Stick to that for at least 3-4 weeks. Continue to eat clean foods and add strength training 2-3x per week.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

21% body fat percentage is a good percentage, it might be the place you need to be, because if you get any lower than that, you can start losing lean body mass.

:bigsmile:
  • sdoherty1000
    Options
    Okay, your body fat percentage is 21%. If you don't mind me asking, what is your current weight?

I weight just over 13 stone (85kgs) which according to the bmi chart is just higher than the normal catagory
  • fastmethod
    fastmethod Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I got to agree you need to lift.
    and you can easily work round an knee injury.
    I mean yes you can loose weight without lifting
    you can also drive a car with one arm. but its better to use 2
    I'd hit the weights
    and eat more!!! your starving, thats why you've hit a wall.
    I'm sure any of the regular lifters will draw you up a program you can work round your injury