Do you have healthy high protein breakfast ideas/recipes?

Options
I am getting bored with the same old thing in the mornings. However, I need to have something that is high in protein and fairly small in serving size. Can you think of anything that fits these requirements?

Thank you for your help! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    egg pizza on low fat thin crust, with no sauce, lots of veggies and some type of meat and light cheese
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have 2 x poached eggs almost every morning on 2 x pieces soy and linseed toast. 13g of protein in both the eggs AND toast.

I am a protein based person, so I feel fuller longer with a smaller portion, train harder, lose weight faster and think better at work :)

I can now poach eggs perfectly in the time it takes me to unpack and repack the dishwasher - it literally takes around 5 minutes to do and is just as fast as cooking toast and boiling the kettl!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters w/veggies and lean meat - even turkey bacon
    Fage 0% greek yogurt with things like pumpkin, walnuts and truvia to sweeten )or whatever flavors you like)
    Quinoa Oatmeal (higher protein grain, low glycemic)
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love egg beaters and Jeanno turkey bacon....1/2 cup of eggs and 2 slices of bacon is about 100 cal.....add 2 slices of 40 cal bread and sugar free jelly....another 60 cal.....perfect bacon/egg/toast breakfast!!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk. 14 grams of protein and under 300 cals.
    Eggbeaters, Veggie Slices - American flavor cheese substitute on an english muffin. 15 grams protein and barely over 200 cals
  • peterson_jessica
    peterson_jessica Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk. 14 grams of protein and under 300 cals.
    Eggbeaters, Veggie Slices - American flavor cheese substitute on an english muffin. 15 grams protein and barely over 200 cals

This!!! I use 1 cup of the regular Kashi Go Lean, two Truvia packets, a ton of ground cinnamon, a few swirls of honey and a few raisins if I'm hungry for them. All with 8 oz. of unsweetened Silk Pure Almond milk. I have eaten this every single morning for like three weeks now. I'm addicted! It is low calorie, too, so you could pair it with an egg or two as well if you wanted
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    soft boiled egg, protein shake
    soft boiled egg, yogurt, peanut butter
    grilled salmon leftovers
    tuna salad- yep
    cottage cheese with or w/o fruit
    Protein from dinner or lunch leftover from day before

Truth be told, I start with a protein shake every morning. And then usually add one of the above.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Qinoa with added whey protein (add fruit and nuts) - warning will be very calorie dense.
  • MortalMen
    Options
    Some of the things I've tried:

-Vanilla Protein powder added to oatmeal
    -Chocolate protein powder mixed with plain yogurt with walnuts on top
    -1 cup whites and I'm still experimenting with a large variety of toppings. My favorites were some combo of spinach, tomatoes, green onions, mushrooms and cheese, and I also love homemade salsa on top
    -There's a good baked eggs recipe with kale, herbs, and bacon here (although I don't use real butter, despite the site name) http://userealbutter.com/2010/12/28/baked-eggs-recipe/
    -Spinach cake with lots of eggs and dairy: http://yummysupper.blogspot.com/2010/06/david-tanis-spinach-cake.html
    (this one takes a bit of time the first morning, but it keeps well, so you can have servings for several mornings waiting for you in the fridge)

I'm still trying to find more breakfast ideas too, because I'm like you, trying to get a good portion of protein out of the way early.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    Chicken sausage or chicken breast, three eggs scrambled mixed with Kale, peppers and onions, 4 slices of bacon. That's around 50-60g of protein.
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options
    All the recipes/ideas sound fabulous! Thank you so much!
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    3oz top sirloin - 2 egg whites - 1 Thomas lite multigrain muffin.

About 300 cals
  • Motivationrequired
    Options
    Do protein shakes really work as I tried one and it bloated me up?? Have just received 3 pouches of a new one by 'myprotein' as in the morning always in rush with work and dont fancy taking eggs to work because of the smell!! Would you have a protein shake with a banana or would sn apple be better???

I've been trying to do higher protein we'll see how it affects my weight loss Monday good luck Hun x
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Calories 278 : Protein 32g : Carbohydrates 14g : Fat : 10g : Servings 1

Egg whites 5 and 1 whole egg
    President Fat Free Feta 1 oz
    Kalamata Olives 5
    Green Olives 5
    Roma Tomato ½

This omelet is an explosion of taste in the morning. Mid way thru eating it you start to appreciate the complexity of flavors and textures.

Directions:

Use 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg and mix slightly. Turn heat to medium and warm the pan for two minutes. Pour eggs into pan and cover. Keep an eye on eggs and pop any large bubbles. Cut olives, tomatoes and measure the feta. The eggs should be solidifying by now. Do not flip until the bottom of the eggs turn very slightly brown. A bit more brown is OK too. Slid a spatula under the edge and circle the omelet to release it from the pan. Slide the spatula all the way under the egg, but slightly to the right. (If right handed) Tilt the pan and slide the omelet and loosen it completely from the pan and flip. Add olives, cheese and fold omelet. Put the top back on. Wait 1 minute and flip omelet to other side. Wait 30 seconds and slide to plate with spatula. Top with Roma Tomato.

Enjoy.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup egg white omlette with green onion, green pepper, mushrooms and a 3cm cube(shredded) allegro cheese.
    Oil - Olive, 0.5 tablespoon 60 (in the pan first)
    Naturegg/Simply Egg Whites - All Whites 100% Liquid Egg Whites, 1/2 Cup
    Mushrooms - Raw, 5 medium
    Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 5 ring (3" dia, 1/4" thick)
    Generic - Asperagus, 6 spears
    Allegro - Lactose Free 4% Cheese, 30 grams (1 cube of 3 cm)
    Generic - Egg White Raw - Large, 1 large
    Add Ingredient
    Total: calories:252 carbs12 fa t8 protein 34 sugar3 sodium 501
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    I'm big on eggs. If I have time I fry 2 eggs in addition to whatever I'm going to be eating (oatmeal, toast, etc.). I love me some eggs!

Greek yogurt, too. I love Voskos 0% Blended Honey (a little on the high side for sugar, but SO good, best one I've tried so far).
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Of couse, eggs are always a low cal, high protein winner. I love the foster farms chicken sausage. 100 cals for two pieces, plus it's high in protein!! I love the taste too!!
  • MortalMen
    Options
    @Motivationrequi

The whey protein in shakes is supposed to be the best quality of protein you can be taking, and the others aren't bad if you prefer soy or rice for some reason, but your experience with them will vary greatly depending on what brand of shake you are buying. Factors like how finely ground it is, how much sugar added, what kind of care they have taken with making it taste good (some of them out there are really nasty). I'm not well versed in what all kinds are out there, you might want to check around with some more experienced weight lifters and see what they have tried and recommend, but I can tell you that the best tasting one I've tried so far is the Kashi Go Lean Energy Shake Mix in Chocolate. That stuff tastes like a shake made with chocolate ice cream. But I've been using another brand since I couldn't find it last time I looked for powder in the store.

@adross3

I love recipes with olives, so saving this one to try soon. Thank you!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^

That.

I have a protein shake for breakfast pretty much every morning. I prefer unflavored whey, just so I can mix it in almost anything. Take a look at my diary for the last few days for examples of my fave shakes.

Generally, I go with 8 oz of juice or milk, a frozen banana, greek yogurt, fruit, and a scoop of whey. I add in enough ice to get it up to about 24 fl. oz total volume, and then cart it to work in a go-cup.

Banana and peanut butter make a tasty shake too, with an additional calorie cost.
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    2 Morningstar Veggie Sausage Patties

An apple with 2 tbsp. natural peanut butter

A slice of whole wheat toast with 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter

1/2 cup of cottage cheese with fruit

The possibilities are endless! :)