light headed

Options
Im new to this and i would like to know if this is normal. ive been on the program for 6 days, i have lost 2 lbs but I get really light headed throughout the day. is this because im not eating the right amount of calories. please help.

Replies

• Babushka_Dolly
    Babushka_Dolly Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    how many calories have you been eating?
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but, it could be that you aren't eating the right things, and maybe you need to be drinking more water. If it continues I would talk to you doc. Maybe you blood sugar is dropping,, are you eating your snacks? If you are you should be eating something every 2 hours. Even if its a yogurt or cheese stick.
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    Bump

This happens to me too, usually when I stand up after being sat/lying down for a fair while. Curious as to how normal it is :)
  • skullgirl84
    skullgirl84 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    im trying to stay around 1300
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ok this looks like I can't spell, lol,,, some of those "yous " shoulda been "your"
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I get light headed if I am dehydrated, also sometimes if I just stand up too quickly I get lightheaded due to (I forgot the exact medical term) but my blood pressure dropping too quickly upon standing. I'd probably try eating more frequently-to stabilize blood sugars and drink plenty of water, but of course.. speak with your doctor to test for underlying medical conditions like hypoglycemia.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you went from a high sodium diet to eating little to no sodium could be the cause the other thing is if your body is used to a lot of sugar and have gone to little or none your body may be adjusting. Hope you figure it out.
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If your getting dizzy when you stand up from a sitting or lying position it is orthostatic hypotension. Your age may be something to consider, along with your diet, how much your drinking (water), how much your working out. In fact when was the last time you had your blood pressure checked? You can get dizzy if it is to high and or to low. The best advise from this RN is to see your Primary Care Doctor and talk to him.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I get light headed if I am dehydrated, also sometimes if I just stand up too quickly I get lightheaded due to (I forgot the exact medical term) but my blood pressure dropping too quickly upon standing. I'd probably try eating more frequently-to stabilize blood sugars and drink plenty of water, but of course.. speak with your doctor to test for underlying medical conditions like hypoglycemia.

The medical term is orthostatic Hypotension and I can be caused by a varity of things usually dehydration or poor circulation
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    orthostatic hypotension is the medical term for getting dizzy when you get up too quickly from a lying or sitting position. the best way to relieve that is to get up slowly (if you're lying down, get to a sitting position and stay there for 30 seconds or so before standing). dizziness can be caused by blood rushing to your extremities (arms and legs) therefore away from your brain. drinking more water can increase your blood volume which means you'll have enough to supply your legs AND your brain. low blood sugar can also cause dizziness. to combat this, eat smaller meals more frequently to prevent extreme highs and lows when it comes to blood sugar. you could also make sure to have a small snack before exercising to help prevent dizziness. hope this helps! also, myfitnesspal is not a suitable substitute for speaking with your doctor. give them a call! they know you and your health history and are much more likely to give an accurate answer and good advice. :smile:
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    That means that your sugar has dropped... You should eat something so you don't feel light headed. An apple, some almonds, etc...
  • discoburn
    discoburn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How drastically has your diet changed since you started?

Being light headed might pass as you adjust to a new diet, but it is also a sign of hypoglycemia. It's also not going to help you feel encouraged to stick with a healthy eating plan if you're worried you could faint at any time.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Your probably not eating enough 1300 cals may not be enough. I usually eat anywhere between 1300-1500 cals a day and I have been losing about 2.5lbs a week. Increase your protein, this helps you stay full longer without killing your daily cals. You shouldn't be feeling light headed and if it continues you may want to consult your doctor for some help/tips.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    orthostatic hypotension

Ahhh, that's it! Thanks guys.