everyone makes fun of me for being healthy!!!

Options
My family, friends, and co-workers all criticize me for counting calories and working out daily. I'm a hardcore health nut, and I feel ashamed! When i cook for my family I use a lot of healthier options, like turkey instead of beef, minimal amounts of cheese, tons of fresh veggies, and no butter. I'm not trying to change their eating habits at all, but if I'm making them dinner i'd like to be able to eat it too! I would love to become a vegetarian (for health) but I know I would get tons of crap for it.

I feel like I have no support from anybody! Is anyone else in this situation? How do you deal with it?!

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i make fun of them for being fat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,126 Member
    Options
    All you can do is change the way you look at it. Most people are only thinking of themselves, expecting 100% support from anyone guarantees you will be disappointed.

Just keep doing what you know is best for you, and don't get defensive. If you stop discussing it with them, they probably won't bring it up themselves.

Change your behavior, and theirs will change accordingly.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    See who is making fun of who when they're dead from an unhealthy lifestyle.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I usually hate being mean to a person's face, but I think I'll have to start doing that xD
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    A lot of times people will criticize you or make fun of you for something because they're jealous. I'm sure the hard work you put in to eating healthy and staying active really shows, and a lot of people just don't mentally have what it takes to be healthy and active. Just stick with it and one of these days you may just win them over!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be total veg to cook a few meals a week. Just add in a bean dish every now and then. They'll adjust and they will live to appreciate your efforts:) Go You!
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    Keep ur head up, keep on ur healthy lifestyle track & lead by example. I used to get the same stuff from my family but now they see me shrinking & reaching goals while they go on medicine!! Then I became a vegetarian & WOW ppl like to judge u worse for that! But I know I'm healthier & finally told them "let's compare blood work"! That shuts em up! Haha I'm proud of u for being an example.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

I usually hate being mean to a person's face, but I think I'll have to start doing that xD

i'm serious, i used to laugh it off, but now its getting effing annoying. the ppl at work are the worst. i work in the utility company, and the people there have a very complacent mentality, "do the bare minimum" and are always bring food in, mostly desserts. i turned down a canoli the other day, and as i politely said no thanks, they were like "oh i forgot, you're on a diet" like something is wrong with ME! the other day during my nice healthy lunch, one guy was chomping down on a bacon cheese burger and french fries, told me i should eat a hamburger. i told him he should eat a salad.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    My family, friends, and co-workers all criticize me for counting calories and working out daily. I'm a hardcore health nut, and I feel ashamed! When i cook for my family I use a lot of healthier options, like turkey instead of beef, minimal amounts of cheese, tons of fresh veggies, and no butter. I'm not trying to change their eating habits at all, but if I'm making them dinner i'd like to be able to eat it too! I would love to become a vegetarian (for health) but I know I would get tons of crap for it.

I feel like I have no support from anybody! Is anyone else in this situation? How do you deal with it?!

Get used to it =) once you have achieved your goals they will be running to you asking for advice...
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options

i'm serious, i used to laugh it off, but now its getting effing annoying. the ppl at work are the worst. i work in the utility company, and the people there have a very complacent mentality, "do the bare minimum" and are always bring food in, mostly desserts. i turned down a canoli the other day, and as i politely said no thanks, they were like "oh i forgot, you're on a diet" like something is wrong with ME! the other day during my nice healthy lunch, one guy was chomping down on a bacon cheese burger and french fries, told me i should eat a hamburger. i told him he should eat a salad.

Wow that's horrible! Luckily i'm still a student and only work around campus, so I don't have to deal with that! But some of my friends got really mean about my lifestyle change...I stopped talking to them.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    I just went to a party and everyone laughed and made fun of my light beer I was drinking. Made me feel kinda crappy.
    There are so many people in this world that don't want others to succeed! I just ignore and surround myself with the positive people even if its just one or two people!!
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It happens. My sister is REALLY obese. Like 300+ lbs. With a stomach that literally hangs, and is probably bigger than the rest of her body. And she makes fun of me for doing what I do. You're not alone in this. It's tough but just smile, nod, and even laugh with them. Just know that you will be happy with the end results of your goal.
  • badtheory
    badtheory Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    eck, i TOTALLY sympathize. I'm a bit of a health nut too and i get flack for it all the time. to make matters worse, i recently found out I have celiac disease, so I can't have any foods that contain gluten (no bread, no pasta, virtually nothing processed, because wheat proteins gets thrown into most foods during the processing) and some people give me a hard time about THAT, as if I chose it. laaaaame.