Subway

Options
I can't get over how unhealthy subway can be. I had a sweet onion chicken teriyaki with onion and some cheese it kills me in calories and in sodium. I would have been better off making my own sandwich. I can't go there and not have cheese on my sandwich. But I do love there ham and turkey sub. I guess I'm a little shocked on the nutrition. Unless one loves veges no cheese and basic meats subway can be a health hazard. Just felt like sharing. Thanks for listening/reading. I guess everything in moderation right!

Replies

• aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    I can't get over how unhealthy subway can be. I had a sweet onion chicken teriyaki with onion and some cheese it kills me in calories and in sodium. I would have been better off making my own sandwich. I can't go there and not have cheese on my sandwich. But I do love there ham and turkey sub. I guess I'm a little shocked on the nutrition. Unless one loves veges no cheese and basic meats subway can be a health hazard. Just felt like sharing. Thanks for listening/reading. I guess everything in moderation right!
  • oubeth1
    oubeth1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I love me some Subway too. I never realized how bad it was for you. How the heck did that Jared guy lose all the weight then?? Did he eat veggie subs only? My favorite is the ham. I got it with out cheese the other day and it wasn't too bad. But like you, I love having cheese on my stuff and it is almost better to make your own at home.

Good luck!!!! :)
  • aprilann
    Options
    I think he had subs the recommended fresh fit way. Ya know the all veges, good meats the subs they recommend that are under 6 grams of fat. No nothing but veges and meat. I love my pepper jack cheese! I also love the herb and cheese bread! I guess if Subway is to be healthy then it needs to be wheat with meat and veges and that's it. No way not for this little lady!
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I work in a mall. Mall food is horrible when it comes to being healthy. So, sometimes when I don't have time to fix my lunch or dinner, I do a veggie or Turkey Subway with no cheese and honey mustard dressing. Beats pizza, greasy hamburgers and hot dogs.
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    I'm just as mad at subway. I spent like 20 minutes on their website looking at all the nutritional facts of the sandwich i wanted...playing around adding cheese, taking it away, adding veggies, etc.

What I feel like is that Subway has tricked the consumers just like everyone else. They make you think they are so healthy when in reality they're really not. I always get wheat bread with no cheese, turkey, veggies, and mustard instead of mayo, and it was still a ton of calories!!! I am OVER subway and they're "healthy" menu.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I'm with you Star I am so done with subway. :angry:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I think you'll find this about "healthy" salad-type restaurants as well; or even salads in general. A lot of people think "but all I ate was salad!!!" Well, did you put cheese, bacon bits, croutons and salad dressing on your salad? How about some meat? It's not Subway itself you're angry at. It's that in order to be healthy, you have to eat stuff plain, in smaller portion sizes or chock full of vegetables! Cheese is a big meal killer if you aren't careful. The other thing is their bread. Just because it says "wheat" does not mean it is magically low in calories or even WHOLE WHEAT like you *should* be eating. I had no issues eating at Subway when I lost weight before and I have no problems with the "Fresh Fit" menu. I'm just too cheap to spend money on turkey and bread there when I can make it at home. Because that's how I prefer my sandwiches now! Just turkey on bread... PLAIN! :laugh:
  • aprilann
    Options
    There Italian BMT is high in fat and the tuna sub 31 grams of fat holy crap. I don't eat either one of the two but I do like the ham and turkey and the sweet onion teriyaki.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have to say that as I have gotten healthier I can not stand the meat at subway, none of it. It looks gross to me. I actually kind of weaned myself off of the meat by going down a slice every few weeks until there was none.

My favorite sub is 6" on honey oat with spinach, lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion, peppercinis, hot mustard and vinegar. I can live without the cheese too.

All said and done its like 240 calories if not less.
  • kfeuvrel
    kfeuvrel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with a Jimmy Johns that opened right next to work. They only have white bread, 1/2 a sandwich still leaves you hungry, a whole sandwich is a gazillion calories - even their turkey, and then chips and a soda on top of it. My "in a pinch" lunch ended up being about 700 calories! So once MFP helped me figure that out - my order changed to no mayo, no soda, and I only eat 10 chips, then give the rest of the bag to my coworker. But still, a turkey sandwich on white with no mayo? willpower baby, willpower.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I :heart: their meatball subs but they are SOOOO bad for you so I usually just stick with a turkey, no cheese, mustard, olives and lettuce. Not really all that exciting but I like it.
  • Hailey
    Hailey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The only sub I like from there is the turkey, or ham and turkey, so its not that bad for you, unlike some of them. Get all the veggies (no tomato) and light mayo and mustard! Mmm I could go for one right now.
    But I usually get the footlong to have the other half later. There would be less calories in a Wendys Spicy Chicken!, two of them...
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I eat veggie subs. No cheese. No condiments. :blushing:

YUMMMMMMM.
  • daisylou
    daisylou Posts: 118
    Options
    yeah...a chocolate chip cookie is 210 calories! ( not that I expected a low cal cookie ) but 210 ??? Are you serious??
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with a Jimmy Johns that opened right next to work. They only have white bread, 1/2 a sandwich still leaves you hungry, a whole sandwich is a gazillion calories - even their turkey, and then chips and a soda on top of it. My "in a pinch" lunch ended up being about 700 calories! So once MFP helped me figure that out - my order changed to no mayo, no soda, and I only eat 10 chips, then give the rest of the bag to my coworker. But still, a turkey sandwich on white with no mayo? willpower baby, willpower.
    Jimmy John's has 7 grain wheat bread as well as the French "white" bread(oh, and "unwich" lettuce wraps for the low-carbbers). Because of the thick cut, the wheat has more calories than the French bread(for a club, which means the bread is left in, as opposed to the sub, where the bread is taken out and stuffed with lettuce, onions, etc). A number four or 14 without the mayo are very low in fat content, and pretty filling. I like to throw on a couple of yellow mustard packs so the sandwich isn't so dry.
    Try working at JJ's(I do!) and having Italian Night Clubs staring back at you on a daily basis! WILLPOWER, let me tell you.
    I would also like to add that if you get a club(7-17), ask them to take the bread out and you'll save a few calories and carbs. Stay away from the chips, even the reduced fat ones, because they aren't that much better for you and are fried in peanut oil just like the regular ones. Instead, get a pickle, but watch out for the sodium! Hope this helps!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    The only sauce I use at Subway is Spicy Mustard (5 cals), Honey mustard is loaded with cals. Sauces and mayo add many cals to your sandwich. If they would only cut down on the sodium in their meats!
  • Hailey
    Hailey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Spicy mustard sounds good! I think I might try it, as long as it doesn't taste anything like honey mustard. I hate sweet and savory.
    Can anyone explain what it tasts like?
  • lilmissnicole
    Options
    Mmm, subway! :bigsmile:
    When i go there, i get a 6 inch turkey on wheat. And only lettuce with it no cheese, dressing, whatever.
    And i bring my own water bottle, so I don't get the pop. :wink:
    So basically why i am telling you this is because i'm wondering, how many calories do you think is in that? I dont pay attention to the chart because i dont put a whole lot on mine...??
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I always have subway....turkey / ham on wheat dry with lotsa yummy veggies.....I do add swiss and have them toast it ......yummy. Its a treat so just be aware of what you're doin'

2 cents :flowerforyou: