I SWEAR I eat!!!

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
I have been working in the office lately. I am used to working at home but I enjoy being with my co-workers, always loved the comraderie.

Whenever I walk into a room and someone is eating, they turn the to-go box away, or apologize for the food they are eating. I have never made a comment about food or diet to anyone who has not asked me first. Then I keep it simple. Most ppl know how to lose weight, they just have not hit their AHA moment yet. (the only problem I have is counting up the calories at lightening speed in my head, maybe it shows on my face:ohwell: )

AND I have had comments like :

You must be starving yourself to lose 30+ pounds.

For anyone wondering whether MFP will help them lose weight, but are afraid they will starve to death, let me tell you WE EAT!!

We just make smarter, healthier choices. Today I had milk, coffee, carrots, hummus, triscuits, 2% ched cheese, apples, 1tlbs pb, small w/w pita, turkey/cheese/mayo,lettuce, on ww bread, and I STILL have dinner to eat!!

I exercise, I dont eat the junk as often and I lost weight. NO big secret here folks!!

I EAT.................................I SWEAR!!!!!!!!

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smokin: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    Options
    I have been working in the office lately. I am used to working at home but I enjoy being with my co-workers, always loved the comraderie.

Whenever I walk into a room and someone is eating, they turn the to-go box away, or apologize for the food they are eating. I have never made a comment about food or diet to anyone who has not asked me first. Then I keep it simple. Most ppl know how to lose weight, they just have not hit their AHA moment yet. (the only problem I have is counting up the calories at lightening speed in my head, maybe it shows on my face:ohwell: )

AND I have had comments like :

You must be starving yourself to lose 30+ pounds.

For anyone wondering whether MFP will help them lose weight, but are afraid they will starve to death, let me tell you WE EAT!!

We just make smarter, healthier choices. Today I had milk, coffee, carrots, hummus, triscuits, 2% ched cheese, apples, 1tlbs pb, small w/w pita, turkey/cheese/mayo,lettuce, on ww bread, and I STILL have dinner to eat!!

I exercise, I dont eat the junk as often and I lost weight. NO big secret here folks!!

I EAT.................................I SWEAR!!!!!!!!

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smokin: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You hit it on the head when you said they haven't had the AHA moment. staying fat is easy and people don't realize the food they pack into their diet is soooo high in cals until they decide to make the change. Unfortunately it is estimated that by the year 2030 more than 70% of adults and children will be overweight or obese.

It's all about education and choices! :wink:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Here here!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I have dealt with the same thing. The comments of "Oh Tami's here, I can't eat now" (insinuating I starved to lose the weight). OR on the other end they will see me eat a meal out and enjoy myself and think I have returned to my old ways. For some reason they don't get the concept that this is a new lifestyle for me and I have not suffered! :wink:

Just keep doing what you're doing woman! You look fantastic and you know you are doing it right!

I am so proud of you!! :flowerforyou:

:heart:
    -Tami
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    You hit it on the head when you said they haven't had the AHA moment. staying fat is easy and people don't realize the food they pack into their diet is soooo high in cals until they decide to make the change. Unfortunately it is estimated that by the year 2030 more than 70% of adults and children will be overweight or obese.

It's all about education and choices! :wink:

So true. I know that the reason ppl turn away is they KNOW what they are eating is bad. I have to walk away when someone just told me their diabetes meds were upped and they have a 12 inch sub they are eating. Like I am watching someone put a gun in their mouth. But again, not for me to speak up at this time.

Education! I love it!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    double post
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    omg I had the same thing happen to me at the gym yesterday I told him that of course I eat do you think I could keep up this pace( on the treadmill) if I was starving myself.
    It seems to me most people out there would be happier if we went through extreem discomfort to loose weight perhaps it's their excuse why they don't do it themselves:ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Here here!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I have dealt with the same thing. The comments of "Oh Tami's here, I can't eat now" (insinuating I starved to lose the weight). OR on the other end they will see me eat a meal out and enjoy myself and think I have returned to my old ways. For some reason they don't get the concept that this is a new lifestyle for me and I have not suffered! :wink:

Just keep doing what you're doing woman! You look fantastic and you know you are doing it right!

I am so proud of you!! :flowerforyou:

:heart:
    -Tami

Thanks Tami. I guess I have been kinda sheltered thru the whole weight loss journey. Being at home with no one but friends and family.......and they saw it little by little. I think some ppl think I am throwing it in their face.............but I am not. I hate to say it but I HATE when someone asks me how I did it. They are waiting for the name of a pill (someone even took out a notepad!) and when I say diet and exercise.......and MFP-how many do you think wrote down the website address?? None.

Thanks for the compliment! You know you were my biggest motivation when I started and you have been a great encouragment for me.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I get this all the time. People automatically feel like I'm judging them and then get defensive about meat. I'd rather not get into a conversation about it, but when they start attacking me, saying meat is "good for you" I just can't resist!

It's funny how people take your behavior as commentary on their own actions - everyone is the main character in their own story!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    omg I had the same thing happen to me at the gym yesterday I told him that of course I eat do you think I could keep up this pace( on the treadmill) if I was starving myself.
    It seems to me most people out there would be happier if we went through extreem discomfort to loose weight perhaps it's their excuse why they don't do it themselves:ohwell:

right?! And those are the ones who gain it all back as quickly as they lost it.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I get this all the time. People automatically feel like I'm judging them and then get defensive about meat. I'd rather not get into a conversation about it, but when they start attacking me, saying meat is "good for you" I just can't resist!

It's funny how people take your behavior as commentary on their own actions - everyone is the main character in their own story!

~~~ducks to put the chicken away~~~~

Oh I love that

" Everyone is the main character in their own story"
    ~July
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    why should we give a rats *kitten* what other people think about what we eat or dont eat?

letting other people influence us may be part of our problem....it used to be part of mine

I used to do what my buddies did....beers,..wings....bar snack food...they are fat

now...they know I don t eat or drink that way anymore....they dont give a good you know what about what I eat but I aint gonna lecture them either

this journey is ultimately for us and if you got kids...to be an example for them

co workers...friends...screw em if they dont approve...they aint gonna pay for your diabetes meds or your bill for the heart attack
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    why should we give a rats *kitten* what other people think about what we eat or dont eat?

letting other people influence us may be part of our problem....it used to be part of mine

I used to do what my buddies did....beers,..wings....bar snack food...they are fat

now...they know I don t eat or drink that way anymore....they dont give a good you know what about what I eat but I aint gonna lecture them either

this journey is ultimately for us and if you got kids...to be an example for them

co workers...friends...screw em if they dont approve...they aint gonna pay for your diabetes meds or your bill for the heart attack

Ok, Dave said it better than I did :laugh: :laugh:
  • shanacleo
    shanacleo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wow, i hear the same thing at work! i prep my food the night before. and like you i eat 'round the clock. fruits, veggies, protein and an occasional snack. i also do cardio 3x a week during my lunch hour.

and of course i have to hear the sneers from gym haters "ohhhh heading to the gym for lunch?"

and the kicker???
    i work for a health organization, hello!!!!!!!!!
  • jennlos
    jennlos Posts: 200
    Options
    Everyone here has it right, we eat what is right, do our cardio and strength training and its no secret people just want a quick fix or if they try to diet or exercise they do it half heartedly and give up when they see no results. So when they see someone that is doing it they have to make it in their mind that your doing something else, ie not eating.
    I have had the same thing happen to me with my family, I have only lost 22 lbs but I get things like what are you doin eating nothing and drinking water all day or my husband's family was talkin bout diets (lol, while eating a huge plate of food) and he pointed to me when they said when has diet and exercise worked, well she doesnt go all the time. WTF I have been busting my butt since jan I work out at least 4 days a week and at most 6.

We have to just let them be and focus on ourselves!!! Way to go everyone that is even trying to succeed with their weight loss journey. :smile:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Be glad you aren't working with "brownie pushers" - like I do!

I'd rather people think I was starving myself and had the courtesy to try to "hide" their food instead of trying to force feed me home made brownies, donuts, candies - EVERYTHING. It's seriously hard to turn down for me most times (and I've gained a few pounds since last summer when I started working in this office!)
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Dave, I don't really care what they think.

My comment was an observation on human behaviour. I never cease to be amazed at the things people do or say, including myself.

Why would someone turn away from me with their food........... I am not their mother or father...........not even a close friend. It is what is inside of them that makes them feel guilty.

When ppl ask me how I 'did' it, I tell them it isnt done. I am living my life this way.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Be glad you aren't working with "brownie pushers" - like I do!

I'd rather people think I was starving myself and had the courtesy to try to "hide" their food instead of trying to force feed me home made brownies, donuts, candies - EVERYTHING. It's seriously hard to turn down for me most times (and I've gained a few pounds since last summer when I started working in this office!)

Wolfena (hi btw...havnt seen ya for awhile!) I have to say, no one has pushed food on me. Or made a comment when I ate a piece of cake the other day. Everyone has been wonderful and supportive! I still get gasps and hugs when I run into someone I havent seen since I have been back.

I have seen a change in the foods they oder for lunches, too. I actually had a choice of fruits and veggies at this weeks meeting!!

:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    wow, i hear the same thing at work! i prep my food the night before. and like you i eat 'round the clock. fruits, veggies, protein and an occasional snack. i also do cardio 3x a week during my lunch hour.

and of course i have to hear the sneers from gym haters "ohhhh heading to the gym for lunch?"

and the kicker???
    i work for a health organization, hello!!!!!!!!!

I have been going into the bathroom at 10 am break and doing squats, lunges, and wall pushups. The other day I even pretend skipping rope and I walk about a mile. Now my DH is the gym hater!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Everyone here has it right, we eat what is right, do our cardio and strength training and its no secret people just want a quick fix or if they try to diet or exercise they do it half heartedly and give up when they see no results. So when they see someone that is doing it they have to make it in their mind that your doing something else, ie not eating.
    I have had the same thing happen to me with my family, I have only lost 22 lbs but I get things like what are you doin eating nothing and drinking water all day or my husband's family was talkin bout diets (lol, while eating a huge plate of food) and he pointed to me when they said when has diet and exercise worked, well she doesnt go all the time. WTF I have been busting my butt since jan I work out at least 4 days a week and at most 6.

We have to just let them be and focus on ourselves!!! Way to go everyone that is even trying to succeed with their weight loss journey. :smile:

True enough. Dave said 'who gives a rats *kitten*" havent heard that in a while, but my mom used to say it all the time. I hope that ONE person looks at me and sees a healthier happier person and decides to give it a try.

:flowerforyou:
  • roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree - I have only started on this site 3 days ago. It is true - I eat more now then I ever did before.
    Today I had a Quaker Oat Bar, Coffee with Cream, chicken and whole grain rice with mixed vegables, nuts (2 oz), apple, banana, and I still had enough calories left to have a small piece of pork chop and cheesy potatoes (Betty Crocker - 2% milk and don't add the butter). Biggest loser had the best visual I ever saw. Bob had the one kid go out and buy what he normally had for lunch. He bought a cheeseburger, med/lg fries , and a choc shake. Bob then cut the cheeseburger in half,put about 12 fries on a plate with it and about two spoonfuls of the shake - and said that should be a normal lunch (about 600 cal) - I don't think I'll ever forget that one to help keep things in perspective.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!