To those who had their wisdom teeth extracted!!

Options
Hello MFP! To anyone on here who's had their wisdom teeth extracted, I was wondering if you were able to eat soup? & How long did it take for you to recover, as well for the swelling to go down?

I recently had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted on Monday, it's been about 6 days. Tonight my friends want to have dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant and my main option would be my favorite... PHO SOUP! Some have said not to eat the hot soup or add any spices to it as it can irritate the socket / gums? My oral surgeons office is closed so I figured to ask anyone on here who might have any helpful answers! Thanks.

Replies

• tattooedtwiin
    Options
    You should be okay to eat soup after 6 days, just don't drink out of a straw. It could loosen and release the clots that are forming. Maybe google it :-) Enjoy your dinner.
  • dashnigma
    dashnigma Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    After 6 days I was pretty much back to eating like normal.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You should be fine!

I remember right after I got mine removed, I went home and decided to have some Top Ramen. My face was still all numb (they didn't put me under, just numbed me). After I was done eating, I went in the bathroom and saw in the mirror that my chin was covered in noodles! I couldn't feel my mouth or face while I was eating, and although I thought I did fine, I did not! It was really funny.
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    After 6 days you should be fine, but if anything hurts or feels weird you should stop.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    yeah you should be fine, just don't drink out of a straw like someone else mentioned... or you can get dry sockets. Ouch.
  • fish119
    Options
    I had mine removed and did everything I was not supposed to do within 24 hours. I would say soup would be safe, I was eating solid foods by then. I wouldn't suggest drinking through a straw though.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You should be okay. As mentioned, the main thing is to avoid using straws.

The swelling went down for me within a couple of days, but I was quite young when I had them extracted. The older you are, the longer it takes to recover.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I could resist the pho and actually I think it's a good option. If you don't add any hot sauce the broth isn't very spicy and the noodles are really soft if you are able to chew a little. (or just don't eat the noodles) You may want to ask for a separate small bowl to put some broth in so it'll cool faster. That way you could avoid the heat irritation.

When I had mine removed I ate soup and mashed potatoes.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I have had all four removed in three visits, each visit was different. In the first one I had a lot of swelling and pain before the surgery caused by the tooth pushing against my bone it was growing horizontally. That time it took about a month to eat semi normally because they had to cut in to my jaw to get at it then remove it. The next two times weren't that bad, it took about 2 weeks on average for the swelling to go down and me to be able to eat semi normally. Those times the teeth were poking out and they had to cut very little and one was just pulled out.
    I hope this helps, good luck!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Read the info that your dentist sent you home with. Hopefully that will answer your questions. Or you can call the emergency phone # for your dentist and ask them your questions. They would rather you ask than to have to fix you afterward.

When I had my wisdom teeth out, I held two ice packs to my cheeks by pinning a dish towel around the sides of my face. I looked funny when I answered the doorbell, but the swelling went down quickly and I only had to take pain pills for about 3 days.

Take care and have a careful night.
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just don't use a straw. Can lead to dry sockets.. which I heard is so painful and prolongs healing process.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    After 6 days you should be fine, but if anything hurts or feels weird you should stop.

That is really solid advice for many things in life, "if anything hurts or feels weird you should stop"

I was eating normally after a week.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I ate a turkey sandwich on soft sandwich bread (no crust) like 5 hours after my surgery.

Maybe I was just into it because the post-surgical narcotics were so awesome, but I ate it nonetheless. If you're still having trouble after 6 days, you should see your DDS/oral surgeon, because I was eating normally at that point.
  • bigfoote_03
    bigfoote_03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i had mine removed alone time ago and i believe i was able to eat regular food in 5 days and was drinking protein shakes and mild soups a day after i think everybody is different just listen to your body it your mouth becomes irritated stop eating the soup.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Unless you are having a lot of pain indicating a dry socket, six days post op you should be good to do whatever. Enjoy your soup.
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I had all four out under general, and frankly I was good for nothing for a month. I suppose I must have eaten, but I was whacked out on the HUGE morphine pills they sent me home with and really can't remember.

I say, if you're hardcore enough to be going out to a restaurant after a mere six days, you could probably chomp rocks and be OK!

No but seriously - soup has to be the best option, and not through a straw. And if you do have any raw wounds in your mouth, then hot spices will irritate those.
    :smile:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Husband is a Dentist. This is what he says: If you can open your mouth all the way, and have no bleeding and no pain and are just a little "puffy" but not really swollen you can probably tolerate any type of food. If you still have stitches that need to be removed then you may want to tone down the spice. Crunches or crusties like nuts, pretzels etc. may still irritate the socket so be careful with that. If it is still bleeding, swollen or very painful then you should call your Surgeon. Use your common sense and if spicy food bothers you then stop.

Have fun tonight!!!
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    I had 3 impacted wisdom teeth removed in February of this year. The swelling was pretty bad for a good two or three days and was in so much pain that I was put on strong prescription painkillers. It was a good week before I could eat any normal food because the swelling was so bad that I couldn't close my mouth enough to chew anything; and a little longer then that until I could have hot soup or tea, etc. because they didn't want the sutures coming out sooner then they should've. I went under and it took over a day for the numbness to go away, I couldn't even eat anything until it did. It took me at least two weeks to fully recover and be back to normal.
  • cyndy1214
    cyndy1214 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You are not going to want to chew for a couple of days. Soft foods that don't require chewing for about 4 or 5 days. Still may be tender on day 6. It really depends on how impacted the teeth are and if any cutting is required but whoever said 6 days thats about right. Warm salt water rinses are good after eating anything to keep the area clean. :smile:
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think it's very individual. A couple friends of mine were fine in a week. Me being me - my 20 min op under general turned into 2.5 hours, 48 stitches, bruised sternum and hamster face!! I couldn't eat anything for nearly 2 weeks and lived on milkshakes and drugs!! Just be sensible and if it hurts - stop!