Help With Christmas

Options
Hi everyone. I don't post much on here but wanted to see if I could get some advice. My husband and I are really struggling this year financially and I went through a battle with Cancer last year and beat it. We have four boys all 12 and under. I honestly don't know what we are gonna do for Christmas and bills. Does anyone know of any agencies that help out families around Christmas? Thanks so much!!

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Go to the counselor at their school(s). He/she will be able to help or lead you in the right direction.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live but in Aus the salvation army gives food and toys to families in need :)
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You can try the local Salvation Army, Churches, and Food Pantries may be able to steer you in the right direction.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Try the Salvation Army and talk to people at your sons' schools. I know in my city, there are a lot of food and gift drives!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    since your kids are young, if you're not proud- you can get a lot of Christmas at Big Lots and The Dollar Store. The US Marines do 'toys for tots'

I hit up the craft stores & helped my kids make their own christmas gifts - I still have many of them.
    This is an opportunity to teach them Christmas is about giving as well as receiving
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Call your local Social Services/Welfare Dept. They often have lists of agencies that help needy families during the holidays. Best of luck to you.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I know that where I come from a lot of local churches help with that kind of stuff. My moms church would have what they call an angel tree & people could buy items for children. It was anonymous so the person buying didn't who would receive it- just that it was going to a 5yr old girl or something like that.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Blessings
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are struggling.This is a bad year for a lot of families.It`s the kids who suffer.
    Have you gone to food pantrys.I would contact the schools.they may have a program to help.If you belong to a church sometimes they help.I bought things from the dollar stores .
    Good luck!
    jane
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    my friend's church helped with Christmas. She is a widow and they sent her a check to help get the kids gifts for Christmas. Maybe you local church can help you and your family.

so glad that you beat Cancer. I ran a race a couple of months ago for breast cancer. You deserve the best:flowerforyou:
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Reach out to your local church! They are always willing to help. When I was little, my mother was raising my two sisters and me, and couldn't afford to buy us anything either. She went to our church and a wonderful family brought us gifts that year. My mom is also a 3 time cancer survivor. She is remarried now to a great man and financially stable. Situations get better and your family will be in my prayers.
  • ansleya
    ansleya Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Salvation Army is great! But you need to call them soon and get on the list. Then, your local fire stations will probably have a program. Call and ask around. Many larger stores and malls have gift trees where the kids can put their names on the tree and the public can choose a name and buy a gift. Finally, almost every church system has one of these programs in place. Also, most of these places will be sponsoring food drive for Christmas dinner or will actually be making Christmas Dinner.

The silver lining in this is that you are healthy now and your family is together. I know that probably sounds like a cliche, but many families won't be together for the holidays.

Take care!

~Ans~
  • jennys33
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas!! I know things will all work out...Normally things aren't this rough for us but things have been tough with our jobs! I appreciate all the well wishes and helpful advice! It means more to me than you can know!!!