In need of some suggestions please!!

I am steadily losing my weight & improving my fitness level. But I would love to know some moves that would specifically target my calves & ones that will help sculpt lean muscle. I'm short & my calves are fairly compact. I have already lost 3" on my thighs but only an inch on my calves. So please any advice, suggestions, moves to target calves would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Replies

• LJ102011
    LJ102011 Posts: 110
    I have no advice for you but I need advice in this area too! i want to be able to wear knee high boots and just cant get em zipped up all te way! Frustrating!:sad:
  • Hold some dumbbells in your hands, stand with just your toes on the edge of a stair (make sure you're wearing shoes), lower your heels to below the stair level, as low as you can go. Then press upwards, effectively standing up on your tip-toes. Really press upwards as much as you can, feel your calves flex, repeat! :) Do a few sets of as many reps as you feel comfortable with a few times a week. Your calves will be looking good in no time!

Keep in mind though, you can't really target weight loss in any specific place in your body. Your body is going to shed weight where it wants to shed the weight. I carry my weight in my stomach and chest, I can do a hundred sit ups a day and I won't have a 6 pack until I loose the 20-30lbs I need to! Keep focusing on your overall fitness and weight loss goals and soon enough, every part of your body will be shedding inches!
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Hold some dumbbells in your hands, stand with just your toes on the edge of a stair (make sure you're wearing shoes), lower your heels to below the stair level, as low as you can go. Then press upwards, effectively standing up on your tip-toes. Really press upwards as much as you can, feel your calves flex, repeat! :) Do a few sets of as many reps as you feel comfortable with a few times a week. Your calves will be looking good in no time!

I like this. I do this. And if you wanna get some quick ones in with out having to go find a step, you can do it while you wash dishes or anything you do standing. Just go up on your toes and back down..don't go all the way back flat foot, that will keep the calves engaged the whole time...they will start burnin fast!:) also you could do lunges...but really pushing that back heel down and stretching out the calf.
  • amyB27
    amyB27 Posts: 105 Member
    I have no advice for you but I need advice in this area too! i want to be able to wear knee high boots and just cant get em zipped up all te way! Frustrating!:sad:

I know exactly what you mean!! The last time I was able to wear any I was 17! And they were made for larger calves lol!
  • amyB27
    Hold some dumbbells in your hands, stand with just your toes on the edge of a stair (make sure you're wearing shoes), lower your heels to below the stair level, as low as you can go. Then press upwards, effectively standing up on your tip-toes. Really press upwards as much as you can, feel your calves flex, repeat! :) Do a few sets of as many reps as you feel comfortable with a few times a week. Your calves will be looking good in no time!

Keep in mind though, you can't really target weight loss in any specific place in your body. Your body is going to shed weight where it wants to shed the weight. I carry my weight in my stomach and chest, I can do a hundred sit ups a day and I won't have a 6 pack until I loose the 20-30lbs I need to! Keep focusing on your overall fitness and weight loss goals and soon enough, every part of your body will be shedding inches!

Thanks! I build muscle there fairly easy when I was at my healthy weight they were still a little big & it was 98% muscle. I have always heard pilates is a way to develop leaner muscle. Not sure if thats true. I'll give those a try in my usual routine :) thanks again!
  • amyB27

I like this. I do this. And if you wanna get some quick ones in with out having to go find a step, you can do it while you wash dishes or anything you do standing. Just go up on your toes and back down..don't go all the way back flat foot, that will keep the calves engaged the whole time...they will start burnin fast!:) also you could do lunges...but really pushing that back heel down and stretching out the calf.

Thanks purpleiris! I'll add them in while brushing my teeth & such :). I just keep imagining getting slender sleek thighs & still having giant calves haha