cold weather gear........... suggestions

Options
SO I live in the rocky mountians, and have my first cold weather 5k on Thanksgiving morning. Figure if I hit a 5k then I can enjoy my food with out a ton of calorie stress (still eating smart)...... But I usually only run in the warm months because I am a teacher I work the winter months and to run it's dark so I stay inside.................... What do you all reccommend for running in the cold.. I am talking between 25-40 degree weather..... If I get to hot I get light headed, so I want to be comfortable at my peak not over heated once I get warmed up

Replies

• surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC5toC0vms check this out, from a previous thread on MFP.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Layers and layers -- I run cold so about 30-40 degrees is still one layer and maybe a half zip over top or a jacket.

If you are not used to it I would suggest layers ... arm warmers ... or a sweatshirt you can throw away ... etc
  • adiesilver
    adiesilver Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love all of my Under Armour cold gear! I have a hoodie that's pretty thin but keeps me warm enough, and a pair of leggings, too. If it's cold enough (and those temps sound cold enough!) I have a ski mask type thing, as well. It covers my nose and mouth to make breathing easier (keeps out the cold air). The best advice I've gotten about running in the cold is to dress like it's 20 degrees warmer, because you'll heat up on your run! So I guess I'd dress as if it were 50ish. If you have time, it might help to do a test run and see how you do! You could always layer a couple shirts that you can tie around your waist if you get too warm. Good luck on your race!
  • erinmac0211
    erinmac0211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love the cold! lol but I still dress right when I go out.
    Layers, layers, layers. For me, I wear a sports bra shirt, a t shirt and then a light, long-sleeved windbreaker jacket and 1 layer ion my legs. Which is usually my under armor pants.
    Good luck :)