Am I in big financial trouble?

Options
Ilovepeppers
Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
My children spilled about a gallon of water from the bath onto the floor a few months ago. I just now noticed that the paint is peeling/turning brown on the floorboards inside the bathroom AND on the opposite side of the floorboard in the hall way.

Does this mean the water damage went all the way through? Is this going to be VERY expensive to fix?

Replies

• adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It could be that it just got under the molding through the drywall. My suggestion would be to get a contractor to come a get you an estimate. It may just be surface problems that a drywall patch and a couple new floor boards can fix. Maybe $100 tops.
  • merrick7871
    Options
    I agree. A gallon of water would not cause any significant damage.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Probably not. We discovered an undetected tap leak that was soaking the floor for days. The tiles came loose and the cabinet smelled like rotting wood. We just dried it out and put a fan in there for a couple days, then repaired the visible damage and all was good, As long as you dry it out thoroughly. You can rent a de-humidifyer, they work awesome at sucking out all the moisture! We used it when our roof leaked all through the attic and into our bedroom, but I doubt you would need it for such a small amount.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Seems unlikely that there would be a lot of damage, but the $100.00 tops comment seem premature too. The price that contractor's charge varies significantly by location. You would not get a contractor to mobilize for less that $250 dollars in my area.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I think you might have to rebuild!