Having trouble finishing my food.

Options
Okay so I'm a weightlifter and I need to loose at least 2 more pounds just to be under the weight class. My family keeps on telling me I need to eat more but I'm not really hungry and I do alot of abs which they hate because they think I'm getting to tiny, even though I weigh 119 and I'm 5"5 1/2 . Can you guys please give me your opinion?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    how many calories a day are you eating?
  • mghane
    mghane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    119 at 5' 5'' 1/2 is a healthy (on the lower side) weight. I don't think you should be obsessing over the loss of 1 or 2 lbs. I know it's tough being in a sport that requires you to weigh a certain weight, like wrestling or weight lifting--but then maybe you should re-assess your priorities. Is it worth it to put your body under un-needed stress? How many cals are you eating and burning a day? This may help assess whether what you're doing is good for your body or not.
  • JoseyRuth
    Options
    I eat at least 1000 a day.
    Options
    1000 is too low! If you are a lifter then you should be worried about your muscle mass!
  • JoseyRuth
    Options
    I know but because I am working out I'm almost never hungry and I have to basically make myself eat and I know that I should be eating more so my muscle's can grow and make me better at my sport.
    Options
    Hard for them to grow without a surplus of calories

I would suggest adding in calorie dense foods :] like olive oils, nuts, nut butters, avocado and such :D
  • mghane
    Options
    Is 1000 your net daily cals or is that what you eat total (not taking into account what you burn working out). That's low either way. Even if you're not hungry... try to eat foods that are high is good cals... like salmon, nut butters, whole grain breads/grains...That way you may not be eating a ton, but you'll at least be in a healthy range of cals for the day and you'll be eating things that are good for you.
  • mghane
    Options
    Also, working out should generally make you hungrier, not make you lose your appetite!
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you're genuinely not hungry, don't force feed yourself. This is how we end up with unwanted weight and unable to tell hunger from habit.
  • JoseyRuth
    Options
    Thanks so much for you're input! :)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Hard for them to grow without a surplus of calories

I would suggest adding in calorie dense foods :] like olive oils, nuts, nut butters, avocado and such :D

Yes, this.

Good luck.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm eating at a calorie surplus right now. I eat about 2500 net calories on average. I am bigger than you but that should show you that you need to be eating way more than 1000 calories a day. Eat high calorie food all day long. I mix protien shake with my coffee in the morning, made with 2 scoops of coffee, sometimes I even use whole milk in them. 2% greek yogurts, red meat, full fat cheese, bread, tortillas, nuts, etc.