How do you deal with friends who want to go out to eat all t

Options
I have some wonderful friends, but of those folks, there are a few who seem to do nothing but go out to eat or go to a party where there is food. How can I motivate them to do something else when we hang out together? Please give me ideas!!! I want to do more with them than just pick the next best restaurant.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Yes, I deal with this ALL the time! I either suggest staying home and doing a movie night, going to see a movie, the park, bowling, or something like that, but if they insist on food, I try mentioning a place I know has healthy options that I can track. :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Have you tried offering other things to do? For me, I just limit how often I makes plans that involve eating out, or eat first and just get a beverage. For parties I also try to eat first, and then snack on the fruit and veggies.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would eat a sensible dinner and have a good time with my friends. It would sure beat sitting at home eating a sensible dinner having a lousy time by myself.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Ooo...this is a tough one! Joplin didn't have much to do before the tornado, and now we're REALLY limited...so eating out is one of the only things there is to do around here. I've had to learn to go and not eat all the crap and just say "No, I'm not hungry." or "No, I already ate." or something like that, even if I really want to eat what they're eating...or just order the best possible menu item.

My big problem was one particular couple friend. My husband and I go to their house or they come over to ours pretty much every weekend. We usually have dinner which is usually some form of meat on the grill, mac n' cheese, mashed potatoes, greasy food, and anything and everything that might just be unhealthy...especially if bacon can be added...I've gotten to the point to where I just take my own food with me if we go to their house and have explained to them that I just can't eat all that good stuff right now. Shawna understands that it's nothing against her cooking and knows I'm not just being rude, and sometimes she even tries to accommodate me and what she knows I can eat. (It's more the husbands that like all the good stuff - she's okay with eating healthy).

So maybe you just need to have a little heart to heart with them and let them know what your goals are and that you're not just trying to blow them off, but that you really have to focus on you right now and do whatever it takes to get healthy.
  • LAdani
    LAdani Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hiking is a fun activity to do with friends and get exercise too.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I still eat out a lot but read menus ahead of time and plan..or eat something at home and just get something small. Just how I handle it..I love going out tho and it helps I don't have to worry about alcohol calories since I don't drink :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Movies? Dancing? Hiking?
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, eating out is a huge part of socializing and anything you do usually is accompanied by a meal. Just be happy knowing that your friends are hating your guts because they are pigging out while you are the epitome of calm passing up the high calorie junk for an extra side of vegges. Enjoy the envy.
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    Personally, I would eat a sensible dinner and have a good time with my friends. It would sure beat sitting at home eating a sensible dinner having a lousy time by myself.

I say eat dinner at home at before you go out .... then when you're at the table, you won't be tempted to over-indulge.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating out all the time, I usually eat out at least 3 or 4 nights a week. Just make good choices, the more you can conquer your temptations by making wise choices the easier it becomes. I agree with others though maybe turn it into some type of exercise. Dinner then dancing or Dinner and some type of athletic endeavor.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    my friends are servers, mostly, and always want to gather at restaurants. i've missed so much in the last month, it sucks but staying motivated!! i cook all of my meals.i do eat some frozen meals but heard recently they are bad for weight loss and will be cutting them out. Apparently canned foods and lunch meats are bad too
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ This.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options

^ This.

Agreed. You are making a lifestyle change, not going on a diet. You need to learn how to navigate a restaurant menu and still stay within your allotted calories, what better way to do that then practice?

If it's a matter of being bored with what your friends are doing, get some new friends. Not that you have to replace the current ones, but if they aren't into doing active things and you want people to do active things with, make new friends that like those things.

*that was meant with 0% snark, sorry if it comes across that way.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    *that was meant with 0% snark, sorry if it comes across that way.

It didn't. You're okay. :-)

Thanks for the tips everyone! Keep 'em coming.