IBS

Options
Does anyone else suffer with this - I am constipated again and think it might affect my scales tomorrow, it is so frustrating!

Replies

• misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have IBS.. but i don't get constipated!! i would recommend coffee and fiber. also sugar free candy always seems to get things moving for me!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    IBS here. Fiber (I'm at about 35 grams), water, fat (they are super important for me), exercise... Hot caffeine if things haven't moved along in a few days.
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Fiber doesn't always help those who really suffer from Extreme constipation (speaking for lots of experience!)

What I would do is go to your pharmacy and get Miralax. It's not a laxative. It's a cheaper version of the medication I take for my severe constipation. It pulls water to your intestine to help move things along. Just make sure you drink LOTS of water.

Might take a day or so to kick in so be patient. :)

Once things get moving along....try and see what is in your diet that you can change. As long as you're going at least 3-2 times a week you'll be okay....Some people aren't meant to go every day (My gastrointestinal Doctor has said this!). But as long as you're going. You will be fine :D
  • Kerriperkins
    Kerriperkins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Boil Fennel Seed (5-6 seeds) in 8 ounces water. And drink (cold or hot) this is a natural softener.
  • Kerriperkins
    Kerriperkins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Opps.....Strain out the seeds before drinking.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Fiber doesn't always help those who really suffer from Extreme constipation (speaking for lots of experience!)

What I would do is go to your pharmacy and get Miralax. It's not a laxative. It's a cheaper version of the medication I take for my severe constipation. It pulls water to your intestine to help move things along. Just make sure you drink LOTS of water.

Once things get moving along....try and see what is in your diet that you can change. As long as you're going at least 3-2 times a week you'll be okay....Some people aren't meant to go every day (My gastrointestinal Doctor has said this!). But as long as you're going. You will be fine :D

Hmm, my doc also put me on miralax, it didn't do diddly for me and I was told to up the dose until I had the exact opposite issue. So, I'm not a fan of it. I know people also say probiotics helped- they didn't for me, but you never know about yourself. Most important would be only to use laxitives after it's been a long time (Ugh, you haven't lived until you realize your last bowel movement was a month previous. ) Honestly, eating healthier (with FAT) has helped me recently... I'm hoping it stays this way.
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Hmm, my doc also put me on miralax, it didn't do diddly for me and I was told to up the dose until I had the exact opposite issue. So, I'm not a fan of it. I know people also say probiotics helped- they didn't for me, but you never know about yourself. Most important would be only to use laxitives after it's been a long time (Ugh, you haven't lived until you realize your last bowel movement was a month previous. ) Honestly, eating healthier (with FAT) has helped me recently... I'm hoping it stays this way.

Yeah here recently I've had to supplement my medication (Amitiza) with the Miralax. I take 20 MCG's of Amitiza twice a day and it works...sometimes XD

I work out, Drink a lot of water, Do yoga (Some times it's stress related issues with IBS), Belly Dance (The movements really help sometimes), I have increased my fiber in take, Have quit eating the peels off of fruits...and I do my best to stay away from "trigger foods" and I still have issues.

I have IBS with my main symptom as Constipation but I can also flip to IBS-D very easily... :/
  • ilovelife
    Options
    thanks guys - do have meds but stopped taking them as I thought I could get my body back to normal, looks like I might be best to go back on them!!!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My IBS got WAY better when I gave up gluten. Much less bloating and almost never constipated now. Of course this isn't the answer for everybody--not everybody is sensitive to gluten and I'm sure there are TONS of causes for IBS, but it sure did wonders for me. Something to try if you feel like you're out of options.
  • erinrose07
    Options
    gluten intolerance is often masked as IBS....might wanna look into it :)
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I used to think I only would get constipated when I ate badly, but I am realizing it is not so. Today I had Benefiber 2tsp, 2 tbsp ground flax seed in applesauce, an orange, a glass of orange juice, a dole orange cup in water, and I kid you not 56+ oz of water. No luck, my stomach is severely bloated and now painful. I also exercised for 1/2 hour. This is getting ridiculous....I am thinking about cutting out cheese, cottage cheese, milk, yogurt and see if that helps.
  • ilovelife
    Options
    my ibs is related to being autisitic :/
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What probiotic did you try? They all have different strains of bacteria so I've read that you must try different brands. I'm on a probiotic that has literally given me back my life. It's been 4 years now and I'm next to perfect.
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

What probiotic did you try? They all have different strains of bacteria so I've read that you must try different brands. I'm on a probiotic that has literally given me back my life. It's been 4 years now and I'm next to perfect.