Splitting Up Exercises....

Options
Question: If I do 3 sets of "exercise" for 15 minutes each (all of them different times of the day), Is that as effective as doing 1 set for 45 minutes? Example: P90x for 15minutes at 11am, then again at 3pm, then again at 8pm

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It's still exercise, but I find that continuous exercise for a longer amt. of time is better since it increases your endurance and heart rate. :)
  • angiek2322
    angiek2322 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have to split up the p90x yoga. I don't have time to do the entire thing in the am before I go to work. I do the hard part in the am, and then the relaxing part after school. but as a rule i think it's better to get your heart rate up and keep it up.....but something is better than nothing:)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Question: If I do 3 sets of "exercise" for 15 minutes each (all of them different times of the day), Is that as effective as doing 1 set for 45 minutes? Example: P90x for 15minutes at 11am, then again at 3pm, then again at 8pm

Depends on what your goals are. If it's general health and calorie burn. No not really, at least that you should worry about. If you're looking to extend your endurance for whatever reason? I wouldn't go about it that way.
  • stepstofitness
    Options
    I am a group fitness instructor finishing my certification for personal training. What are your specific goals, and do you have a goal date in mind. There are different ways to go about this. You need to look at your current endurance level and start from there and build again depending on what types of goals you have set for yourself.

No matter what make this your time for you; there is only one of you and you want to be there for the ones you love.
  • mrsamyhicks
    Options
    I dont really have a specific goal date but I want to lose weight as consistently, quickly, and as healthy possible. Its just easier for me to give it my all in a workout if I split it up that way, but dont wanna do it that way if it slows weight loss down in any way.
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    In the first 15-20 minutes of a workout, you actually don't burn much fat. You have to work longer to get something out of it. So I would suggest doing the whole 45 minutes. Although if there is a day that you can't, doing it for 15 minutes at a time definitely doesn't hurt.
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    I dont really have a specific goal date but I want to lose weight as consistently, quickly, and as healthy possible. Its just easier for me to give it my all in a workout if I split it up that way, but dont wanna do it that way if it slows weight loss down in any way.

If you get to a point in the 45 minutes where you feel like you aren't giving it your all, that means you are pushing yourself. Eventually you will go longer and longer before you get to that point, which is progress! Doing it for 15 minutes at a time limits the amount of progress you can make.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Can't imagine it being a good idea to have say 3 arm exercises throughout the day.
  • steppestep
    Options
    no its not because when doing exercise for a longer period your heart rate is working at a fat burning level for longer whilst the my fitness pal writes it as the same its more effective to do it for longer
  • stepstofitness
    Options
    Have you ever tried a strength training program targeting a muscle group each time mixed with a cardio on other days. You can even mix 1 minute of cardio in between sets that is very beneficial. There are fitness magazines you can sign up to and you receive emails and they offer all sorts of different workouts and these tell you the areas you are working on. Try to start out with 8-10 x3 sets. If you can afford a personal trainer you will definately benefit from this as they can help you with technique and develop a workout that is specific to your needs. One other very important factor is your food choices; being a part of my fitness pal is a great start but even if we attain our calories we may not be eating the right foods. We can find great tasting food that is good for you. You achieve better and faster weight loss when targeting one muscle group at a time as your body focuses on that muscle group only. I wish you the best on your weight loss journey