need sweet potato recipes

Options
mrsyac2
mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
Ok I can have sweet potato's in my new meal plan- Now I have been currently eating it with can't believe its not butter and cinnamon which is fine- But I would like some other ways to eat it- I can use many spices- The dash salt- and of course I can't believe its not butter- So if you have any ideas please share-

Replies

• mrsyac2
    Options
    Ok I can have sweet potato's in my new meal plan- Now I have been currently eating it with can't believe its not butter and cinnamon which is fine- But I would like some other ways to eat it- I can use many spices- The dash salt- and of course I can't believe its not butter- So if you have any ideas please share-
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Oooh! Make baked sweet potato "fries!" Peel them and cut them into french fry sized pieces. Spray them with a little olive oil or toss them with just a tiny bit if you don't have a sprayer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (I also like to add cayenne because I love heat) and put on a foil lined baking pan (I use the non stick foil because the potatoes can stick to the foil otherwise...it's the sugars in them). Bake them for a while at about 375-400 until they're mostly done. Then broil them on each side a few minutes to get them a little crispier. Just watch them so that they don't burn. I like to eat these with a garden burger wrapped in lettuce for that "fast food" feel but so much healthier.

I also like them like a normal baked potato with a little butter and sour cream.

Oh...and I had a really healthy sweet potato bisque the other day at a restaurant. Mmmm...so good...I bet you can find a simple recipe for that!
  • Emdog24
    Emdog24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I posted the recipe below a while back for black bean and tomato filled sweet potatoes. I also like to fill them with half a cup of chili (I use turkey chili) and a slice of fat free cheddar slice. It's a filling meal for only around 250 calories!

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
    4 medium sweet potatoes
    1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
    Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way to the center, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place in a baking dish and bake at 425 degrees F until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour.)

Meanwhile, in a medium microwaveable bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, oil, cumin, coriander and salt; microwave on High until just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat.)

When just cool enough to handle, slash each sweet potato lengthwise, press open to make a well in the center and spoon the bean mixture into the well. Top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.

Nutrition Facts

Calories 295; Carbohydrate Servings 3; Carbohydrates 52 g; Protein 8g; Fat 6g; Saturated Fat 2g; Cholesterol 6g; Monounsaturated Fat 3g; Dietary Fiber 9g; Sodium 572mg; Potassium 541mg; Exchanges 3 starch, 1 vegetable 1/2 fat; Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (450% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Fiber (38% dv), Folate (25% dv), Iron (15% dv), Potassium (15% dv)
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    thanks does anyone know of any more- I would love to know how to make homefries with sweet potatoes for breakfast-