Food Addict

Options
Just check out my recent blog and offer any support you can--- Id really like to hear from current or former self labelled "food addicts" who have struggled deeply with emotional (all kinds) eating or, simply the satisfaction of flavor-crave and food satisfaction addiction.

I would like to get off the ride anytime now......... :,(

Thank you.

hugs from Minnesota

Replies

• Rain_Howard
    Options
    I feel your pain. Therapy is what helped me. Lots and lots of therapy. And learning to be more aware of my body and my mind at all times. First I had to figure out what is was that was causing me to eat. Once I figured that out, i addressed those issues and things have progressed well from there. If you read my not on here blog there is a lot I've written over the last year about my journey.

As cliché as it sounds, recognizing the problem is a fantastic step in the right direction. You are not alone. And you can change the way you think about eating and about food. It's hard, it's emotionally draining and it's immensely rewarding when you finally get through to yourself.
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have begun to believe that I too, am a food addict. I find myself eating when I am stressed, tired, excited, bored, you name it. It is very frustrating. I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember and of course, it has gotten worse since I have gotten older. I started MFP a while ago but have not been very faithful in logging my food and sticking to making myself aware. After my husband was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic and myself as borderline, I have, in the last couple of weeks tried to be diligent about logging my food every day to get an idea of what I am doing. Knowledge is very powerful. Until I started logging, I had no idea some/most things I am eating have the amount of calories and carbs that they do. That was a real eye opener for me. I am trying to make a conscious effort to try and determine if I am really eating something because I am hungry or for the emotional satisfaction. The best advice I can give right now is don't try to do everything perfect all at once. It is a process, a lifestyle change. If we try to "fix" all of our bad habits at once, we will get overwhelmed (been there) and want to give up. We will still eat things that we shouldn't and there will be days we don't get the exercise that we should, but as long as we make a conscious effort to do better the next time, that's what counts. Best wishes! :)
  • ronniekh
    Options
    I'm the same way. I've been going crazy eating less calories because I'm so in love with food. Mostly the really sugary fatening foods. Having a pal that's working with me on MyFitnessPal! She's definitely helped calm my appetite.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I believe I'm a compulsive over eater or food addict. I'm not sure which. I realized this a long time ago when i kept losing and gaining back the same weight, and gaing back an extra 5 to 10 pounds for good measure. It helps me to be accountable by posting everything I eat and following a food plan. I try to say program because saying diet to me means this is until i lose the weight. This time I'm going to post on here forever to maintain my loss. I know that if I don't do it this time and maintain a healthy weight the food is going to kill me. It is just as dangerous to be a food addict or obsessive overeater as it is to be an alcoholic, drug addict or smoker. They all can kill you in the end.