BMR, Maintenance Calories and their importance!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I am under eating by a LOT by these. I about pooped when I saw what I am supposed to be eating.....lol....Say I change my caloric intake to what they recommend. Am I going to gain wight initially? My head wont handle that well...:laugh:

No.
    Thermic effect is nice.
    Protein is a HUGE part of diet also!
    what works for me is about 40g of protein for breakfast.
    Protein takes a lot more effort to digest.
    This causes the thermic effect to go up and burn more calories while digesting.
    Add 1/4 cup of steel cut oats to that and you really burn calories...sitting on the couch watching the View!

I remember stalling between 150 and 140.
    I upped my calories for 2 weeks and dropped weight again.
    The body is very funny that way!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Ok...I DO feel better when I eat more, and have recently tried upping protein. (DONT look at today...lol) I FEEL better by eating more protein. No idea why. No scale for a month?? EEEEEEEK. Haha........I am so friggin scared to try something like this...if it works like it should, I should be willing to try, but I am one of those "good day/bad day" because of the scale people. Sigh....but you guys inspire the tar outta me!!!!:bigsmile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Only look at the scale 1 time a month.
    After your cycle.
    first thing in the AM after you number 2.
    No clothes.

Then keep in mind that the body fluctuates in weight by up to 3lbs per day.
    Yep!
    3lbs!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Ok...I DO feel better when I eat more, and have recently tried upping protein. (DONT look at today...lol) I FEEL better by eating more protein. No idea why. No scale for a month?? EEEEEEEK. Haha........I am so friggin scared to try something like this...if it works like it should, I should be willing to try, but I am one of those "good day/bad day" because of the scale people. Sigh....but you guys inspire the tar outta me!!!!:bigsmile:

I know the whole 'good' day 'bad' day scale effect all too well. I used to live and die by the scale aargh! These days, because I've been at this so long, I step on it every day to see where I'm at - I love to see how my body reacts to sodium, TOM, heavy lifting, long cardio stints....I really love to track how my body reacts to stresses. I guess I'm a geek like that :)

See how you go xx
  • kykykenna
    Options
    Thank you both. I am going to give this a shot, I think. That doesnt mean I am not scared poopless..........lol....once a month weight in.........GAH.....what is 4 weeks, right??:)
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I am going to give this a shot, I think. That doesnt mean I am not scared poopless..........lol....once a month weight in.........GAH.....what is 4 weeks, right??:)

youll do great and you will feel great!
  • lbehm
    lbehm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I was undereating for weeks because I wanted to lose 2lbs per week. Well I was basically starving myself. I finally got the hint several weeks ago and upped my calories to net my BMR of 1540, grossing anywhere from that up to 1900 with exercise. Always netting at least my BMR though! And viola, I started to lose weight steadily. Now seeing people seriously restricting themselves and netting below 1000 really saddens me.
  • kykykenna
    Options
    youll do great and you will feel great!
    [/quote]

Thank you. :)
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused about all of this. I've tried to look up what my BMR might be, but it seems that it's completely different depending on the website I use.

If it's true that I should be eating at least that, then I need to up mine - although I usually do end up eating more than that with exercise cals, anyway.. I also usually get upset at myself for eating more than 1200.
    I've lowered it to 1130.. according to MFP, my BMR is 1359. I think I should seek advice from my doctor.
  • SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So all this time I could have been eating 2100+ calories!!?

Gah!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Wait, i'm still confused. Does this mean that your BMR is what your body burns while just laying in bed all day breathing?

yep.

So, how do we calculate how many calories we actually burn while moving around and doing stuff (in addition to our BMR value)?

Good question! I think those body media things do that? MFP guestimates based on what you tell it your activity level is, but thats obviously a really rough estimate.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Use the websites we have provided in this post.
    =D
  • jeastertag
    Options
    awesome post! thanks so much!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    So how many of you have changed your goals over the past 24 hours?
    Just curious.
  • pinkmotels
    Options
    I've used a bmr calculator that uses body fat % and lean body mass to find my BMR, but now I'm slightly confused. I've had trainers at the gym tell me I should be eating 1200-1300 calories to lose weight (I'm 5"2 and 136 lbs) but according to this BMR calculator (http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm) my BMR (under light exercise) is 1356, and my tdee is around the 1864.

I'm slightly confused as to what I should be doing to figure out how much to eat to lose weight? I had been undereating for quite some time, not realising that I needed to be eating back my exercise calories-so I was really taking in 800-900 calories instead of the 1200/1300 I thought i'd been aiming for.

I'm paying for it now trying to boost my metabolism again eating between 1300 and 1400 net calories. When my metabolism has stabilised, do I cut 500 calories from my tdee, or do I drop it by 20%?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Where does the 20% number come from?
  • pinkmotels
    Options
    the 20% is a suggested number used by dieticians to create a calorie deficit. its usually recommended either 10-20%, or alternatively cutting your calories by 500 a day.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    the 20% is a suggested number used by dieticians to create a calorie deficit. its usually recommended either 10-20%, or alternatively cutting your calories by 500 a day.

yeah see thats where I'm confused because 500 a day and 20% can be QUITE different. why pick one over the other?
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is awesome information..thanks a bunch!!!