Simple at home strength training?

Options
I don't have access to a gym and I really want to start doing some exercise other than just walking. I live with my family and my room is very tiny (not just small, tiny) so I don't have room for any equipment of any sort. I have two 1 or 2 pound (I forget which) hand weights as well as a resistance thera-band. I'm worried that right now I am burning mostly lean muscle, as it appears that my body fat % seems to be staying about the same even though I am losing weight, so I want to strengthen my muscles. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kristinathenina
    Options
    use your weight to your advantage- pushups and tricep dips are great for for your whole body. Resistance bands dont take up much space (about the size of a couple pairs of underwear)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, squats, planks, burpees are all great exercises you can do without the use of equipment. If you can afford to buy a kettlebell, you can do several exercises that use your whole body. You can look up workouts and/or form on the internet. You can also do cardio: jumping jacks, running in place, high knees, butt kicks, kickboxing (punches/kicks), dancing, etc.

Use your kitchen timer or Gymboss type timer and set it into 30 sec. to 1 min intervals. Choose a mixture of strength and cardio exercises (as mentioned above) to create 30-45 min workout. You could break it up into 10 minute rounds and repeat it 3 times.

For example:

3 rounds - 30 seconds work/ 30 seconds rest - with 1 minute of rest in between rounds
    Jumping Jacks
    Squats
    Butt kicks
    Push-ups
    Forward punches
    Crunches
    Lunges (alternating sides)
    Burpees
    Jog in place
    Forward kicks

Obviously this is just a simple example, but it goes to show how you can do a lot without a gym or a lot of equipment.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • mutt12345
    Options
    bands
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I have a very simple barbell set with hand weights that I got at Academy for about $60. Came with 110 lbs of weights, which has been enough for me (so far).... though I'll have to add more weight eventually. It has done me a WORLD of good.

Not sure which exercises to try? Spend $10 on the book, The New Rules of Lifting for ______ (Men or Women -there is a book for each gender) by Lou Schuler.

AWESOME BOOK.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Adjustable Kettlebell. You seriously get away with just this one peice of kit for quite a while!!
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    Hold something heavy while doing squats
    Do step-ups on a chair
    Get a pilates DVD and do it in your living room
    pushups and crunches
    squeeze a ball between your knees while sitting to work your inner thighs
    use canned food as weights and hold your arms straight out at your side for as long as you can, or make small circular motions with your arms
    just some ideas that i have done :)
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    tons of body strength training content on youtube and from there you will find links to sites of the trainers.

But beyond that, there are the big four;

-pushup
    -chin up
    -squat
    -crunch
    From them, many exotic combinations can be derived.

Someone mentioned the kettlebell and or clubbell, great portable tools for full body training. Just make sure your healthy and flexible enough to use one. The resulting injury from improper swings or a snatch, for example, can be impressive. Find a local "RKC trainer" and get an evaluation and take a couple classes too as form is everything.

But really, evaluate your goals. What's the highest priority and why? Losing weight or strength training? Only you can answer your health priority and knowing that answer, maybe even saying it out loud, can help you focus your effort.
  • Caerthilian
    Caerthilian Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic, fearundercontrol - I was just about to ask exactly the same question! I too can't join a gym here and have limited space. So off to the shops for some small weights and a book!
  • fearundercontrol
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    if you're burning muscle, you're not eating enough to maintain it
    and as for not being able to join a gym, i pay 20 dollars a month and i take the bus to mine, please let me hear your excuses
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    bump
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Bump for later