Very embarassing question................

Options
I ate the most delicious dinner yesterday, going way over my calorie goal. I knew I would do it, so it's not really a big deal.
I had a 7oz. Teriyaki Salmon on a bed of rice with chunky fruit sauce and a baked sweet potato with cinnamon butter. Appetizers (like I needed something to stir my appetite) was salsa and tortilla chips and they serve every entree with yeast buns with cinnamon butter and a generic tossed salad with (full fat) ranch dressing.

It was heavenly, grilled to perfection, totally moist and ooohhhhhh, sooooo goooood! However, when we got home I had to go to the bathroom immediately, 4 times.

Now to the embarassing question: after eating calorie and health concious for almost 3 months now, is it maybe normal that my body would "eliminate" a dinner like that within an hour of eating it? Is it even possible that food can be digested that fast, within an hour?

Replies

• moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It could have been your body reacting to a higher level than normal of fats. Mine would often do that! Having suffered from IBS for too many yrs to count eating sensibly has now (unfortunately) caused things to slide totally to the other end of the scale. Prolly TMI but that is my take on things.
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    That happens to me.. i like to call it body confusion and oddly enough I don't feel that bad afterwards because its mostly gone :)
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If I eat a big meal the same happens to me, makes me feel not so bad about stuffing my face!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. Carbs make you poop.
  • thinkingthingirl
    thinkingthingirl Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    maybe the fish was a bit iffy?
  • xamyxx
    xamyxx Posts: 30
    Options
    thats happend to me before after a long time eating healthy then having something high in fat, it really didnt agree with me and the most embarrassing bit was i was at my mates along with loads of other friendsm,after ten mins they wondered where i was i just said i think ive drank to much and feel sick lmao
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me whenever I eat something too much fattier than what I usually eat. Even a little McD cheeseburger upsets my stomach.
  • charmednz
    charmednz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Food isnt going to pass through your system in an hour though....
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If you ate something with a good deal of fat in it, that could have happened. I know that since I've been eating carefully I can't tolerate even a piece of bacon, for instance. But, it's also possible you got some bad food. You may have had a touch of food poisoning.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It actually takes an hour for food to move out of your stomach area and then it has to go through the intestine. I think you just filled up and pushed out what was in your colon. I think you made everything move down. That's what happens to me when I go over. My colon eliminates what is in it. I always like when that happens :bigsmile:
  • marzahl68
    Options
    I was thinking "the fish was bad" at first and I'm not an expert in detecting iffy fish but I can tell you that the salmon was absolutely delicious, firm to the touch, perfect color, perfect taste and flakiness.
    But I'm not so sure about the salsa. You could tell the tomato chunks were fresh cut, it wasn't salsa from the jar but it was pretty hot (for my taste and I'm sensitive to hot/spicey foods). I ate a good deal of it because I figured it was fat free.

Not thinking about the calories, but the amount I ate was way too much for me and my stomach hurt from eating too much. After I went to the bathroom, my stomach felt empty again. Weird!
  • Aussieheidi
    Options
    I went out for dinner last night to a fancy place (Linen napkins and all LOL) and I felt exactly the same. Before leaving the restaurant, I had stomach cramps and I told my partner that I was either going to vomit or do a number in my pants. I learnt a very valuable lesson, its ok for me to enjoy a nice meal - but Im probably going to pay for it....and in the not too distant future!
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    I agree with Suzen - same thing happens to me. I think you're fine :)
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    That happens to me now when I overindulge in something I no longer eat on a regular basis. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You've spent months developing healthy eating habits ... This is your body's way of telling you " Whoa ! ". If your eating habits have developed less grease, fat and sugar ... after about 6 weeks your body will send warnings when you are violating the new system you are building. Problem is we ignore the warnings ... we ALL do every once in awhile. Next time, you can indulge in this food ... but in smaller portions and do NOT hit the " FULL " mark. You will still have a different type of bowel movement but not the aches and pains of over eating. It is a fact that food takes 24 hrs to digest ... but, when eating out of norm your body can and will reject these foods by causing cramps and movement ... just the movement is from prior days.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This is quite normal.

Wife and I had been eating healthily for several weeks and went on a tour of the west coast of Scotland.

When there, we stopped for lunch and had a high fat/calorie meal.

Within half an hour, we both had a bad reaction, needing a toilet visit.
    Also, we both felt lethargic and very unwell.

I think its because your body is now unfamiliar with the food you had last night.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was thinking "the fish was bad" at first and I'm not an expert in detecting iffy fish but I can tell you that the salmon was absolutely delicious, firm to the touch, perfect color, perfect taste and flakiness.
    But I'm not so sure about the salsa. You could tell the tomato chunks were fresh cut, it wasn't salsa from the jar but it was pretty hot (for my taste and I'm sensitive to hot/spicey foods). I ate a good deal of it because I figured it was fat free.

Not thinking about the calories, but the amount I ate was way too much for me and my stomach hurt from eating too much. After I went to the bathroom, my stomach felt empty again. Weird!

Maybe it was also because it was spicy? Spicy food often makes my stomach upset, so maybe that in combination with a big calorie meal made you body go into a bit of shock ?
  • change_happens
    Options
    Your body can eliminate food that quickly, especially if it is laden with fat. For some time, everything I ate went straight through me... I mean everything. However, the doc told me that my body isn't absorbing enough nutrients from the food consumed because it is being digested so fast.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This nearly always happens to me if I eat a lot of meat fat.