Eating enough when sick-need help

Hi:

Woke up this morning to a sore throat, low grade fever and a headache. Damn it!!!! I've got a cold. This is frustrating for 2 reasons.
1. Every other attempt I've made at weight loss has ended because of a cold or injury. I'm worried that this will happen again.
2. I'm not hungry when I'm sick. I really don't feel like eating. I have to get those 1200 calories into me to keep the metabolism up, but I'm not interested in food. I don't even want soup. I made 2 scrambled eggs to sooth my throat and it took me half an hour to eat them all,

Does anyone have suggestons?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Eat what you can, but do you actually believe that eating less than 1200 calories for one day will effect your metabolism? Come on.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    grilled cheese sandwich made with good multigrain bread.

Mild and comforting; plenty of calories and protein. Easy on the stomach. Can be eaten in bits and pieces if you don't feel like eating very much.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    It takes days for even small changes to your metabolism to occur, and weeks for any significant changes to happen. Eating below 1200 calories for a few days because you're sick won't make any significant impact. Don't worry about it. We all get ill and don't want to eat much. Going below 1200 calories won't do any harm unless you repeatedly do it for a long period of time.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Hot tea sweetened with HONEY or SUGAR not a 0 calorie sweetener. Have oatmeal or farina... Juice, drink lots of juice!!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Eat what you can, but do you actually believe that eating less than 1200 calories for one day will effect your metabolism? Come on.

Who has a cold for just one day? Come on.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    I had your frustration 2 weeks ago...I was sick and was less than a week out from running a half marathon I trained for all summer. I ate what I wanted within reason - had massive amounts of cough drops, hot green tea with honey, lots of rest, and zero exercise that week. Some days I struggled to get in 800 calories while other days that week I was eating 1800 without a lick of a workout to offset the supplements. By the time my half marathon rolled around last Sunday... I was able to race and set a PR in very humid conditions. Yes, I gained two pounds from all the cough drops and honey and no physical activity that week...but now I'm back on track, weighed in this morning and lost a pound of it. I don't let the illness set me back for long, it's only temporary and this journey we are on is about making lifelong choices that are healthy in nature, not a quick fix.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    I'm sick right now but have lost 3 lbs..haha.
    But seriously I know its hard..I just get soft foods, let myself have some icecream in limited portions, soup, and try to get fluids in..when my throat is sore and I don't want to swallow its hard. I think I've consummed 1200 cal over the last 3 days.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    You can try making a milkshake or something similar (smoothie?) and drinking in some calories (as an added bonus it should feel good on your throat!). I also am extremely disinterested in food when I'm sick, and generally the ONLY thing I will eat is saltine crackers (not sure why). Make sure you're drinking lots of water/fluids and keeping hydrated!
  • is4031
    is4031 Posts: 71
    Hang in there - I'm in a way jealous. When I am sick I tend to do the exact opposite and eat way more then I normally would.
  • Tina,
    The best thing to do if you are not hungry, is to make sure that you are getting plenty of fluids. You are not going to harm your metabolism by not eating enough when you are sick. I did notice that many others have said the same thing.
    You can choose small, light foods to eat and snack on. Soups, toast, and crackers are great for when you are ill.

Rest and fluids are the most important when trying to get healthy again.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Are you getting sick because you are not eating enough to begin with? I know if i cut too drastically i end up with a cold. Worry about getting better and then hop right back onto the weight loss train. Setbacks only make you stronger as long as you conquer them in the end :) Lord knows i have had my share of setbacks and plataues myself, in one now, cannot burst past that 50-lb weight loss mark!!! Now just evaluating what i am doing and how i can do better.
  • grilled cheese sandwich made with good multigrain bread.

Mild and comforting; plenty of calories and protein. Easy on the stomach. Can be eaten in bits and pieces if you don't feel like eating very much.

You know this sounds kind of good. I think I will get my hubby to get the ingredients and make one for me after I wake up from my nap.

Thanks
  • I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted. It's good to know that I'm not going to screw this up by being a little less careful about doing what I'm supposed to.

I'll post in 4 or 5 days to let all of you know how I'm doing.

Thanks so much for your help and kind words. They may actually get me to continue on with the my goal. I really do appreciate it. And now it's time for a nap.