Weight gain!!

Options
Hi there

I am recording my calorie intake and exercising and did really well in the 1st 2 weeks and lost 4 kgs which i was very excited about . However this week I am starting to put weight on???? has anyone else found this??

Many thanks for your help and advice x

Replies

• court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    I would guess you're starting to build some muscle!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    yes, it happens.

The scale lies, you're better off judging your weight loss by how your clothes fit and taking measurements if you can.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I would guess you're starting to build some muscle!

you don't build muscle in a couple weeks and especially not on a calorie deficit >.<
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes that happened to me a couple of days ago, and I couldn't understand it. So I pulled out my handy dandy tape measurer and saw that I actually lost a couple of inches all around. Don't let the scale dictate your mind or decision making it will drive you nuts. Go by what you can actually see and keep a log. Good Luck, and continue to push through!!
  • tubie22
    Options
    Like someone else said, muscle weighs more than fat. So don't rely too much on the scales but more on how you look to yourself and others, how you feel about yourself, how your clothes fit and perhaps inches lost from bust, waist, hips, thighs etc

hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    We can't see your diary so it would be hard to tell what you're doing but keep the following in mind:

- If you eat less than 1200 calories per day NET (that means after exercise and everything) you will gain weight because your body will go into starvation mode

-If you're not getting enough water, you'll retain water (same principal as fat), and thus gain weight

-If you haven't exercised or dieted for a while it's going to shock your body, and that can make you temporarily put on some pounds.

-Think about what you're eating. Beef takes several days to clear the system, so if you eat a 1/4 pound steak everyday for three days, you're likely to see the scale go up even if you're losing weight because you'll have .75 lbs of meat in your system.

-Also, in the long run, if you are exercising, you can expect to see the scale fluctuate while your waistline gets smaller...this is because it takes less muscle to gain a pound then it takes fat to lose a pound.This wouldn't really apply to you yet but you should keep it in mind.

Remember, the scale will do what it pleases. And it is affected by a variety of things...sleep, water, exercise (even the type of exercise), the types of foods you are eating (and not necessarily how much)...so watch your waistline instead. It's a much healthier and more productive approach to "losing weight".