How do you keep the winter comfort food cravings at bay?

Options
Hey everyone,

up here in the North it has begun to be dark quite early in the day ( we´re talking 15:30 here), I have been working lots of overtime and in general have just been craving stodgy food and nibbles. I can eat as many clementines/almonds/other healthy snacks as I want, the craving will not pass. I know it´s an emotional thing, but knowing that does not make it go away... on top of that, my bad knee is acting up again, so I can´t run very much. Help!

Replies

• fit4travels
    Options
    I have the same problem. Bumping to read the responses :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Eat to live not live to eat!!!

• SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    This is my first winter after I decided to start taking care of myself, so I need as much advice as I can get! Bumping to see responses!
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hot liquids! I make herbal teas and things like soup are really filling and comforting. I often get myself a miso soup from my lcoal sushi place just to warm me up of an afternoon.

You can also have some of your favourite comfort food just keep an eye on the portion size! There was a great recipe for chicken pie on the recipes message board for around 370 per portion.

Good luck!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions, lots of water and lots of exercise.......That's my plan:-)
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm big on soups when it's cold and there are a lot of healthy ones out there. Other than that, I don't keep them at bay. I enjoy them in moderation. I just have to make sure "moderation" doesn't get out of hand:)
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    VITAMIN D. The sun provides us with vitamin D. When it is dark out we don't get so much of it. I know it sounds crazy, but we used to live in Alaska and everyone would always say "take vitamin D supplements". I never had a problem with it so I am not sure how well it actually works. But some of my friends took it and they said it helped them.
  • myth4ever
    Options
    make sure you have your meals planned out and carry with you so when u do get hungry you go for it 1st! In moderation it is ok to grab here and there but don't grab a plate full of any of the holiday trimmings! Avoid places where the food is being held as much as possible. When starting off it might be best to avoid the work holiday breakfast, brunches, and what not, you have your dinners with the family coming soon and those will be your days to have a little this and that......U have to remember you got goals to reach and is this food helping or hindering your process???
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand. I want to just come home and put on flannel pajamas and never leave the couch. I suggest trying to get out in as much daylight as you can while you have it. (at lunch time) I like to fix hot tea and sometimes drinking that helps. Maybe you can create comfort foods but adjust the ingredients so they still taste good, but are better for you. Sometimes we just need to go ahead and eat whatever it is that we are craving, but having it sparingly. Distractions are important for us to get our minds off of food. Laundry, dishes, housework, exercise...there's lots I can move my focus to.
  • defeatmylazyself
    defeatmylazyself Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    yeah, I live in Scotland. I should really get some Vitamin D supplements. I do make my lunches and take them to work, it´s more coming home after overtime and not really having the energy to cook a nice healthy meal. I am trying to have more soups (mmmh, soups!), I suppose I´m worrying mainly because I can´t exercise too much a. because of my knee and b. because it is too dark in the morning and when I get back from work ( I live in a pretty rough area, wouldn´t go running in the dark on my own). SIgh.
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation...you'll be just fine :)
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Try to hit the elliptical in the gym? Might help... give it a chance!
    Otherwise I am also struggling, luckily I stopped myself in time... but its so damn hard!
    And everyone is like "oh lets have coffee with cream and muffins!"
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Soups!!! The ultimate healthy comfort food. And many are low calorie enough that you will have calories left for a warm piece of whole grain bread along side.
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand. I want to just come home and put on flannel pajamas and never leave the couch. I suggest trying to get out in as much daylight as you can while you have it. (at lunch time) I like to fix hot tea and sometimes drinking that helps. Maybe you can create comfort foods but adjust the ingredients so they still taste good, but are better for you. Sometimes we just need to go ahead and eat whatever it is that we are craving, but having it sparingly. Distractions are important for us to get our minds off of food. Laundry, dishes, housework, exercise...there's lots I can move my focus to.
    Great Advice! I eat a lot to avoid the house work when what I really need to do is tackle it! If I worked more on it I wouldn't be so over whelmed by how far behind I am! Love all the soup and sun advice too. I think it's true and I think it should be our winter slogan! (From someone else who lives in the dark north) "SOUP AND SUN!"