How to get toned without workout 'equipment'?

Options
Hey all, I'm hoping everyone can help me out. In conjunction with my dieting, I really want to tone my body as well. I feel my body is very... well... soft =/. I have the typical problem areas women have, thighs, stomach, hips, etc. I would really like to look toned, alas, I can not afford a gym membership. To be honest, I can't even afford to go out and buy hand weights or a mini-trampoline right now.

So I guess would really like to know what I can do to tone my body using only myself and possibly everyday household objects XD

Any ideas??

Replies

• MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels DVDs. 30 day shred or 6 week 6 pack.

Either of those can be purchased cheap and you don't need equipment - instead of weights you can use cans of soup or bottled water.
  • pianokeyteeth
    Options
    I've heard the 30 Day Shred is a great program, but let me reiterate, I literally can not afford to purchase ANYTHING right now. Like, literally, I have 13 cents in my savings account. And don't start my job until next month =C Good idea about the soup cans though!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    running is a really great way to "tone" your body and it's free :)

You can also do push ups and use a chair to do tricep dips and just do some squats and walkin lunges.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Google BodyRockTV. Enough said. They are amazing & all you need!

They do require some equipment, but nothing that can't be substituted with things you have around the house (cans, water bottles, chairs)
  • kahavi
    kahavi Posts: 35
    Options
    Basic calisthenics: Jumping jacks, squats, sit-ups, push ups, dips... the works.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sit ups, push ups, go to the park and kick the children off the playground equipment. Use it for pullups. Find a bench and jump on and off of it with both feet. Do lunges, for extra resistance do it holding a milk jug filled with water. Pick up things you have. Run with a backpack full of weight in it.

Theres loads of free things you can do.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Running is great for cardio (and it tones too!). If you're not a runner but have an ipod, try C25K. I (think) it's a free app... You can also find workout videos on youtube (and apparently Netflix in the US has some). Use water bottles for weights if you need to. I'm a big proponent of yoga for "weights," since the poses utilize your own body weight.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Plank!! It's free and it's awesome for firming your core. There are many variations...google and see! I started with 30 seconds. Also, crunches, lunges and squats are excellent for lower body and abs. (Vary the crunches to hit different areas). "Superman Swim" is something I do on the floor...hope there's a demo out there on the web. Jumping jacks, as someone said, would be great to keep your heart rate up. Pick up anything with a little weight you can handle in your home for bicep curls and tricep extensions. You can also do tricep dips with a table. Much of what I do uses my own body weight, so a lot of stuff isn't needed. I'll keep thinking and message when I come up with more!
  • mbw2586
    Options
    If you have access to a library, you can check out all types of exercise dvds. If getting there is a problem, you can use videos online (I think someone has mentioned this.)

I saw you're in Cincy - if you have cable and it's Time Warner, I know that there are a lot of yoga and pilates workouts On Demand and that's a great way to tone up just using yourself.

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for this, I'm never good with rules or internet etiquette ha, but SparkPeople.com has a section where they show you TONS of exercises that can be done at home using things like chairs, and I believe you can set up a workout program using it.

Good luck!
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    YouTube "Body Weight Workout". It will bring up thousands of videos and options.

There were a lot of great suggestions so far. Planks, Jumping jacks, ets.

Walking lunges, depending where you live, go to a large building and run(walk) the stairs. If you live out int he country, walk a country block (or two) a day. Don't drive everywhere. Leave the car at home and walk to the store or post office or where ever.

Use canned food or bottles of water for weights. A gallon of milk is 7 pounds. Curl that :)
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    #1- Walking: It's free and all you need are your feet. If you can bear the weather trying walking outside. Here is a link to a program that can help you: http://walking.about.com/cs/walkoflife/a/walkoflife.htm. If it's too cold, try walking indoors.

If you have On Demand or Exercise TV (via your local cable system) there are walking exercises on there. Try that and get hooked on those exercises. If you do not have access to this via your cable system, then go to http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/walking.

#2- Running: If you read the boards at all here at MFP you have heard about Couch 2 5K (C25K for short). A free running program that gets you fit and ready to run a 5K in a few short weeks. Check it out. You can do it indoors (treadmill) or outdoors. I have started my love of running via this program and toned my thighs, legs, and slimmed down my waist as well. Visit http://www.c25k.com/ to learn more and see the various programs.

#3- Weights, Circuit Training, Calisthenics, and Cardio: If you like all of these exercises but can't afford a gym or purchasing DVDs and CDs, head on over to this page: http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/all/?videotype=free-full-length. Tons of full length exercise videos for every need. You can literally build a day of customized workouts via these videos. Many don't require equipment and even if they do you can always try the exercises without them.

If you have On Demand or Exercise TV (via your local cable system) there are PLENTY of workout videos on there. Try that and get hooked on yoga, cardio, strength training, etc.

I hope some of these suggestions help. Bottom line, you don't need fancy equipment. As many trainers have said, the only equipment you need is your body. Work it as hard as you can, mixing it up as much as you can, and you will see the results you want. Good luck!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    The Perfect Weight America website has free circuit training videos. In fact the site is free to join. You can use water bottles for weights. This is basically free toning.

http://www.perfectweightamerica.com
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    Available at the public library~ "You Are Your Own Home Gym" by Mark Lauren.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The Perfect Weight America website has free circuit training videos. In fact the site is free to join. You can use water bottles for weights. This is basically free toning.

http://www.perfectweightamerica.com

Great resource. Thanks for sharing this!
  • pianokeyteeth
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all so much for your great ideas, you've brought up so many things I had never even thought of!

You all are so inspirational! =]