Getting toned and lean

Options
So I have some weight loss goals and I want to also build some muscle but I do not want to look bulky (being a girl and all). I mostly do the generic stuff, run, sit-ups/crunches and push-ups but I want to start doing a little weight lifting. Any advice on how to gain some lean muscle but not end up looking bulky?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an athletic body type then you don't have to worry. Very few women have the ability to gain muscle like men and look "bulky". Just keep ding what you're doing!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dont take steroids...
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    You won't get bulky. You don't have enough testosterone. Do exercises that simultaneously build and stretch your muscles if you are really worried about it. Yoga and pilates are both great for that. I don't lift weights at all (I use body weight exercises) and I am very muscular. That said, lifting weights won't make you bulky.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's really hard for women to look bulky, and even fitness models don't look like She-ra when they're not flexed.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Show us what you want and what you don't.

But yes, it's hard for a woman to "bulk". I know, I'm trying.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    In addition to plenty of cardio, I do Yoga and Pilates and am quite pleased with the results. You don't necessarily need to "lift" to build muscle!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    dont take steroids...

^ This, and it's not a joke.

If you want to look fit and lean as a woman, then lift like a man.
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    I have always been advised if you are concerned about bulking up, then to use lighter weights and more reps. Currently I am a wimp (and have a right arm injury)... so I use 5 lb weights. Bicep curls I will do15-20 reps until I feel a burn, then rest 30 seconds and repeat the set about 3x (that's a start for me anyway). I had a trainer teach me a straight curl and each month I would change it up a bit to keep my body from getting used to it. So the next month on the curl I would not bring my hand straight up but would turn my hand sideways (like you were shaking hands). Also for upper body - tricep work either on the coffee table doing dips or with weights overhead and I hold both 5lb weights together in both hands over my head (can't do those right now - right arm, no overhead) shoulder flys etc, just the usual upper body.
    Hope that helps, hard to describe in writing, hope I am kind of clear.
    Kelle
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been following this training routine and love it. Like you I was afraid of getting bulky but it's not like that at all. As women we do not produce the level of testosterone as men and that is necessary to develop that degree of muscle mass. We also do not eat nearly enough calories that require to assemble that much muscle mass.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/training

Hope this helps a little.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy for a year and I have yet to bulk. Fitness models don't look bulky especially when they aren't flexing, just look at Jenna Renee, and they lift heavy. I follow men's lifting routines.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Lifting light weight for high reps is pretty much outdated advice and accomplishes nothing.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Lifting light weight for high reps is pretty much outdated advice and accomplishes nothing.

This.

You don't lift a barbell or a couple of heavy dumbbells and suddenly look like the Incredible Hulk. It doesn't work like that. Gaining serious muscle, especially as a woman, requires hard work and dedication. I wish it was as easy as some women seem to think it is.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options

Interesting! I have mainly been avoiding heavier weights at the gym for this fear of looking manly!
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to lift weights! You will not get bulky. You have to eat a lot of calories to build up that kind of muscle mass & be on something if you are a woman. I lift heavy from the machines at my gym every time I go, in addition to cardio. I do 3 sets of 10 reps of the heaviest I can stand. I just 3 months of working out, I have toned up & my strength is incredible compared to what I could lift when I started. It really gets your heart rate going too, so it burns calories! :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Interesting! I have mainly been avoiding heavier weights at the gym for this fear of looking manly!

Go heavy or go home. (Learn proper technique first to avoid injury of course).

=)
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to lift weights! You will not get bulky. You have to eat a lot of calories to build up that kind of muscle mass & be on something if you are a woman. I lift heavy from the machines at my gym every time I go, in addition to cardio. I do 3 sets of 10 reps of the heaviest I can stand. I just 3 months of working out, I have toned up & my strength is incredible compared to what I could lift when I started. It really gets your heart rate going too, so it burns calories! :)

Agree! I have found that I burn just as many calories lifting weights as I do cardio and it's amazing to see what your body can do!
  • jjbeach1986
    Options
    Thanks a lot folks, this puts my mind at ease. I had also been told about the low weight/ high rep bit to get lean muscle. I'm glad that I can lift heavier weights and get the results I want vs. looking too bulky!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    It's hard for a man or woman to bulk up, but both can bulk up, if that's the look they are looking for. It takes time to bulk up. Bodybuilding takes time.

Some people can get ripped in 90 days doing Supreme 90 Day or P90x. Some people have to do more than one round to get ripped.

Ripped doesn't equal bulky or bodybuilder's body.

Maybe you can try cardio/strength (cardio/sculpt) workouts. These help with the tone and lean look.

Do you workout to dvds? If you want solo weight training workouts, maybe you can try these workouts. They are men workouts. A woman is in the video as well. I have these workouts. I like Terry Simpson. He's a fun instructor. You can find these workouts on Amazon and Collagevideo

1. Abs Diet 2. Instructor Terry Simpson
    2. Men's Health 15 Minute Workout. Instructor Terry Simpson
    3. Belly Off: The Strength Training Routine: Instructor David Jack
    4. Belly Off: The Body Weight Routine: Instructor David Jack