Torn ACL

Options
Hi,

I have a torn ACL and LCL. I haven't done any kind of exercise since the injury and I am biting at the bit to do something. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Julie

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Elliptical.. low impact, start slow/small, build up to more
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    exercise you're upper body whilst resting (it sounds daft, but my friend had surgery on his ACL and it was what he done to stay fairly active. He's a martial artist and couldn't do anything for 4 months.)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Punches are great cardio. If you can stay in a semi-squat position while doing them, it's a double whammy. Good luck!
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL playing soccer 5 years ago and while I was waiting for the reconstruction surgery, I used the elliptical and just made sure I was careful not to injure myself futher (wear a brace to help stablize your knee) Building up the muscles around the knee are important (so if you can build up your quads and hamstrings) Are you getting surgery to fix it?
  • mestupscout
    mestupscout Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Have you had any kind of physical therapy? I have a complete tear in my left acl. (never repaired) and 2 tears in my left mcl. (they were repaired. I am always at risk of "knocking my knee out". I have been doing the 30 ds for quite a while with good results. I modify most of the jumping and it works out ok. Actually, I am able to do jumping jacks now. The last time my knee went out, I was just walking down the stairs. Nothing worse than a big girl, rolling around on the ground like baby baluga, and crying because the pain is horrible. Building up your ham strings and quads help to keep the knee in place. Hope this helps. Feel free to add me. The ACL thing is kind of like a club. LOL
  • a_fill
    a_fill Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Knees suck.
    Do you know how badly you have torn it? If it's a partial tear then you should start buliding up other muscles in your legs. For example doing assisted squats (using a table to help pull you up) and mini lunges as well. If your not going already, physiotherapy is reallly helpful.
    If you have a full tear then you will most likely need a reconstruction or it will never get better.

Just make sure you avoid all horizontal movenment!
    I am currently recovering from surgery, i just had an ACL reconstruction a week ag, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I've been through it all.
  • a_fill
    a_fill Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The last time my knee went out, I was just walking down the stairs.

Haha! It's funny (aka completely annoying) how the smallest movements can send you into tears. Sometimes even rolling out of the bed the wrong way can cause my knee to split
  • luckyvirgo
    luckyvirgo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My surgeon said I need to do rehab for 6 weeks and then we will discuss the surgery portion. I go to rehab next week, but really am anxious at doing something now. I am just ignorant of what and how without causing further damage. Thank everyone for their input, some great ideas. I will take them to heart and get moving.

Julie
  • luckyvirgo
    Options
    I do have a full tear in my ACL and a partial in my LCL.
  • luckyvirgo
    Options
    I was considering Pilates. Has anyone tried this form of exercise with this injury?
  • jlcampbell2008
    Options
    Someone mentioned this to me on another post because my right knee is killing me and I am just getting into the Dr. this Thursday. (Been in pain for 4 weeks now.) Anyways, they said that chair aerobics are great! I was watching some on youtube and they seem like it would be easy on the knees. Something you might want to check. Best of luck to you.
  • mestupscout
    mestupscout Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mine is a full tear. I've been living with it for almost 8 years. I was not a candidate for replacement at the time. Age , weight and arthritis.It does get better. I can do most things and for the most part have little or no pain.
  • ctroxell2011
    Options
    I have a torn ACL and take spin class twice a week. I don't know about torn LCL, but you might also try rowing on the stationery machine.