Protien Shakes

Options
From home-made to purchased in a store pre done, I googled some info, but id rather a "user" of this.
Whats the purpose? like to gain or lose? or both?
for someone that doesnt want to be 'bulky', but lean.
I need something fast for my breakfast, thats the worst part of my day, trying to deal with breakfast.
I really have been struggling to lose these last 9lbs and its been forever, i think i may have hit my plateau.
I workout reg. daily (with a 1 day break a week) im doing cardio because i was told that thats the best workouts to do to get your heart rate up to lose the lbs so ive been doing the Insanity workout by Shaun T.
I eat healthy (no junk food or soads) water water water!
Im 'iffy' on puttin things in my body like pills ect.

Help!!??!!

Replies

• mrmarch911
    mrmarch911 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i would try a whey isolate protine powder with little to no carbs in it, it is great for the morning or lunch when ever you may need to hold your hunger this not only helps fight fat but help rebuild tissue in your body too the isolates is a little more than others but it tastes good and mixes well :) good luck
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with lifting heavy weights and eating clean. I like my macros at 40% carbs 30% fat and 30% protein. Protein shakes, defintely help me reach this goal.

They are easy and good for you and will help with muscle recovery right after lifting.

Here's my favorite recipe:

1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    2 tbsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter from www.bellplantation.com)
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    2 tbsp wheat germ (optional) - I like it because it makes a thicker texture, adds fiber, and folic acid!

Sometimes I'll add a small banana too! Yummy! Under 300 calories.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Protein is very filling and extremely effective as an appetite suppressant. It is also the primary additive needed in order to build new muscle fiber. So it can be used for both. If you eat a surplus of calories, you will build up additional muscle and gain weight. If you eat at a caloric deficit, no matter what your macronutrient ratios, you will burn fat. I eat a protein shake made up of 8 oz milk and 2 scoops of casein-based protein powder in a mixing tumbler, and fill the rest with water to add volume, for breakfast every day. My appetite is very well controlled by this.

And yes, cardio is certainly the best way to burn large amounts of calories in a short time, but a lot can be said for strength training every other day. In addition to the calories actually burned DURING your workout (particularly if you do low-rest circuit training), your body will be burning additional calories for the next 48 hours as it repairs your recovering/rebuilding muscles. Plus, you will improve your muscle tone in the process, which is always beneficial to good overall health.

Edit: edited to add--casein protein is widely considered to be the slowest-digesting of proteins, so it's the go-to for appetite control. If you want the best muscle-generating protein, go with whey; it digests quicker and more easily.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I like a banana and blueberries in mine for the fiber and nutrition. Perfect for after a workout or to replace a meal with.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My special protein shake is 350 calories and has just about the right amount of everything in it. Unless you overdo, it will help you lose weight and there's a reason for each ingredient.

1 C Original Almond Milk (no flavor)
    1 tsp sugarless Jello pudding (any flavor)
    1 Tbs UDO 3-6-9 Oil (There are other good ones.)
    1/2 Banana (Can use other fruit but this helps thicken shake)
    1 or 2 Scoops plain oats (uncooked)
    2 heaping tsp Miller's bran
    Tiny square 90% chocolate bar (for blood pressure - optional)

I mix that in a blender and drink immediately. Keeps me full most if not all morning and is very good for you. The pudding is mostly as a thickener but it also adds flavor.

By the way, I too use an isolate whey protein. They're much easier on the stomach and actually much healthier than the other forms.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Whats the purpose? like to gain or lose? or both?
    Help!!??!!

Whey protein is a protein extracted from dairy.
    The main purpose is to help you meet your protein intake for the day.

Things to note about whey protein:

1) It is protein.
    2) It is very bioavaialble.
    3) It is inexpensive when you compare grams of protein to cost.
    4) Most brands are have a very good protein to calorie ratio, making them easy to fit into your macros.
    5) It is convenient.

Now as far as gaining/losing goes:

Gaining and losing weight is a function of caloric balance. Protein shakes will not, by themselves (<-- key phrase in this sentence), cause you to gain weight or lose weight, and in the presence of adequate dietary protein intake, they won't cause you to gain muscle or lose muscle,

If your diet is protein deficient, a protein shake can help you fix this, and in doing so it can aid in the gain of lean mass or the prevention of lean losses.

If your diet is NOT protein deficient, then consuming a protein shake would not likely provide you any additional benefit (outside of the possible additional micronutrients/vitamins that may be present in the shake and lacking in your diet).