itchy thighs when walking

Options
Anyone have this?I am just getting back to exercising and am waaay out of shape (see introducing yourself). I've always had an issue when I walk or tried to jog. My thighs and buttocks start to itch like crazy! Any idea why?

Replies

• jeankh
    jeankh Posts: 68
    Options
    same happens to me. I also get it around my pant line. I think it has to do with salty sweat drying on your skin or something
  • campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    this happens to me when I don't let my body slowly warm up. I have found if I go in to a fast pace walk or quick jog instead of working up to it then I get that horrible itchy-ness too!
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I would get that on my arms while biking in bumpy areas a couple years ago.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    That's lactic acid buildup and very common. I've had it all my life. It's not as bad as when I was younger but very often when I bike at a high intensity, I get it. Nothing to worry about but miserable. I think there are supplements you can take for it but right off the top I can't recall what they are. You can google it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    DON"T scratch it. You only make it intensify. Rub your palms smoothly over the area and as you warm up, it'll fade. But if you scratch, you make it last longer and itch more fiercely!

I thought I was the only one with this issue, but it really does fade as you get into shape. This phenomenon doesn't happen to me anymore.

Best wishes!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Itchy skin when you first start working out is just blood moving to the surface of your skin. It's normal and the more in shape you get the less it happens.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I get tingly when I lose weight--I'm not sure if it's lactic acid, or what. I do get the itchy stuff from a reaction to the histamines in my sweat at times, and I take Zyrtec for that--it's related to my propensity to get hives--it happens on my stomach and insides of my elbows and face. If I take Zyrtec though, it doesn't happen. The tingly thing really happens every time I lose weight, though, so I welcome it.
  • Hsnopi
    Hsnopi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ok well that's all good to know! I had asked before but no one ever knew! I'm glad I'm not alone:0