Jeff here, had a TIA (Mini Stroke)

Options
about a week ago I had a TIA.I am 38, 257 as of when I had the TIA (mini stroke, no permanent brain damage).My cholesterol is 164 but the ratio is waaaay too high. Not enough HDL. I need to exercise. I have 4 discs in my neck that are herniated and I have multistage Degenerative Disc Disease. Also had surgery on my lower back years ago. Discectomy between L5 and S1.

I had been exercising for 2 weeks prior to the TIA. I am slowly getting back to it. I am exhausted all the time. My goal is to get back to fighting (martial arts/SCA/Markland). I am a programmer so I sit a lot but once the nursery is finished (we are having our first child in feb!) I plan on building a Standing Desk.

Historically, I have had an issue sticking with exercises. I weighed myself today and am 247, so I lost 10 lbs in a week. Prolly a lot of it water from reduced sodium diet but I'll take it!

Anyway,
Thatsme!
Jeff

Replies

• tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi Jeff - a standing desk sounds really interesting... wish I had one of those at work!

I've heard of people sitting on the big exercise balls at their desks to strengthen their core muscles. Maybe this is something you could try?
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hello Jeff, from Jeff. I have high blood pressure and also have had 2 back surgeries. L4 all the way down to S1. Add me if you want, we can get through this together.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I have back issues too (spinal fusion, bulging disc in un-fused vertebrae due to a fall last winter, degenerative disc disease in the lower, un-fused discs, etc) - so I understand all about back issues. Take it slow and work up gradually.

You can do this! :)
  • tammyll3
    Options
    Way to go on the weight loss. Sorry to hear about the TIA. It definitely can be a challenge when your energy level is low. Start small, a little exercise is better that no exercise.
    Take care!
  • dcbella
    Options
    Hello Jeff and good to hear you have had no permanent damage. I had a TIA on October 13, 2011 and was also very lucky with no brain damage. However It was found that I have what's called Chronic Ischemic White Mass Disease which means my brain has had a series of strokes and i never knew this. So i guess the TIA was a blessing in a way now we can combat and stop the strokes attacking my brain with medication, exercise and healthy eating. Congrats on your new addition in Feb. Good Luck to you!!
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    We have the opportunity to opt for standing desks at my workplace as well. A couple of my co-workers have done it and they both really like it. I am seriously considering it!

Wishing you success and best of health! :smile:
  • Hsnopi
    Hsnopi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks for the well wishes. sorry i;ve been away. we had our first child on feb 7th. It is nice but omg i am tired. back up to 243.8 but I just got my office back together. No standing desk as my knees can';t take it and my back hurts. I recommend everyone do a trial day first or make sure you have a stool to sit on to give yourself breaks.