Mixin' up oatmeal

Options
I love oatmeal in the morning during late fall and winter and I normally stir in some brown sugar and Brummel & Brown spread...it's delicious! But I always use too much brown sugar, so I'm looking for other ideas.

How do you spice up your oatmeal???

Replies

• kristarablue
    Options
    Add protein powder or a banana instead of sugar
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, nutella, agave, dreid cranberries or raisins, and type of fruits.... or look for a low cal baked oatmeal receipe
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I never add sugar anymore. I slice up a banana in mine and it tastes just as good! Sometimes I like to mix in a quarter cup of granola instead and a little soymilk to make it creamy. Yummm
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I really want to try it with pumpkin
  • Lindz8afish
    Lindz8afish Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, apple pieces and raisins mixed in while it's cooking on the stove. Mmmmm :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon. I use it instead of sugar in many things. I also add fruit to my oatmeal, diced apples or blueberries (fresh or frozen). No added sugar needed.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, apple pieces and raisins mixed in while it's cooking on the stove. Mmmmm :)

I do this and I still add a bit of brown sugar and a bit a real butter.
  • chchchangess
    Options
    cocoa powder, banana, and some pumpkin puree. if the banana isn't ripe enough I'll sprinkle some stevia on top. it tastes like a brownie!
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    Oooo the cinnamon and apples sounds really good! It sounds a lot better than the packaged version...that one I was never a huge fan of
  • DarleneT22
    DarleneT22 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I add flax seed, blueberries, banana, cranberries, cinnamon...not all at once..lol...
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Oatmeal is just my daily filler. Every morning (M-F), I make a bowl with nothing other than water added. I don't think about it, I just eat it. It's not bad tasting but it isn't great tasting either. It's just a filler. A means to an end.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people using mushrooms, onions, peppers. and avocado. That would be with the plane oatmeal, but sounds interesting and yummy.
  • elera
    elera Posts: 1
    Options
    It seems to fill me more if I add a little salt! I use water, not milk - all the creaminess comes from the oats.
    Sometimes I add stuff, and my favourites are Agave nectar instead of sugar - massively low GI in comparison, or Acacia Honey, rather than normal honey. Also cranberries are lovely in oats. As are raisins, sultanas, and especially dried apple bits. [I have put seeds in, but it makes me feel too worthy and triggers my chocolate compensation response.]
  • TrishKennett
    Options
    I have oatmeal evey morning, and I add 50 grammes of fresh chopped pineapple, with one tablespoon of shredded coconut - very tasty! If absolutely neccesary, just half a teaspoon of splenda as well, but I am eating less and less of that, too. Coconut also goes really well with blueberries, or even some sliced fresh strawberries!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Lots of cinnamon and a packet of splenda! Delicious and gets my carbs up for the day (mine are usually low since I'm more into the lean meat and veggies).
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    add cinnamon, ginger and dried fruit to taste
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    raw honey.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    This morning I had my oatmeal with 1 tsp of splenda brown sugar, 1 tbsp dried sweetened cranberries and I also cooked it in 1 cup of fat free milk. Tasted really good. I sometimes add a tbsp of walnuts for more crunch. Keeps me full until lunchtime.
  • danamae
    danamae Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Due to the time of year, ive been adding pumpkin, cinnamon and pumpkin spice to mine, yummy
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    Tons of awesome ideas! I'm going to have to pick up a few mix-ins tomorrow at the grocery store :)