question for runners

Options
I have recently decided that I wanted to do a 3k-5k run next year, I have been trying hard to get to the 2 mile mark without a break, I think if I could control my pace and breathing I could make it. so I need pointers on breathing ( beside breathing in and out ) do you breath through your nose or mouth.. and, should I train first on the mile mark or should I start with MPH ? Fast or distance first ?? Urgh don't know where to start. suggestions PLZ..:smile:

Replies

• Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5K is a popular program
  • melmarler
    Options
    I breathe through my nose and mouth. I can't get enough air if I don't. Consider starting with the C25K application. It really does work. Concentrate more on getting out and doing it; distance and speed will come in time.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do if you are struggling is to start with a program like Couch to 5k. It will help pace you and get you past that hurdle so that you can run the entire length without stopping. I'm a distance runner and have used the program when I started out with great success (completed 4 half marathons in the past year)...I also read a lot of former Olympian Jeff Galloway's articles, he gives great insight to breathing, training, etc.
  • darlenewanamaker
    darlenewanamaker Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this ? How do I find it ?
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    You're doing good by starting with a shorter distance - don't worry about time yet - it will come as you get stronger. Don't try to do too much too fast.

Most say to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, but this takes some practice. I'm really bad at breathing in through my nose because I don't feel like I get a deep enough breath, but if you breath in through your mouth, there's a good chance you'll be hoarse and coughing by the time you're done, just because your throat dries out.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

Just google couch to 5K and you'll find it pretty easy.
  • darlenewanamaker
    Options
    I breathe through my nose and mouth. I can't get enough air if I don't. Consider starting with the C25K application. It really does work. Concentrate more on getting out and doing it; distance and speed will come in time.
    C25K application ? what is it?
  • lalalaleah
    Options
    You should definitely be breathing out of your mouth because your body needs the oxygen to push you forward. Also make sure you are breathing from your stomach and not your chest. It feels stupid and is hard at first, but it definitely keeps you going longer. Breathing out of your nose is better for less intensive exercises to help boost metabolism. I'm training as well, and I'm going by distance and seeing how much time it takes me to get there at a moderate pace. Hope this helps :)
  • darlenewanamaker
    Options
    The best thing to do if you are struggling is to start with a program like Couch to 5k. It will help pace you and get you past that hurdle so that you can run the entire length without stopping. I'm a distance runner and have used the program when I started out with great success (completed 4 half marathons in the past year)...I also read a lot of former Olympian Jeff Galloway's articles, he gives great insight to breathing, training, etc.
    AWESOME do I just google Couch to 5k is it a app for my phone ?
  • darlenewanamaker
    Options

Just google couch to 5K and you'll find it pretty easy.
    Thank you :happy:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    You can probably find the C25K app for your phone, or just do what I did and download a podcast with music and someone telling you when to run and when to walk.
    The breathing will build up along with your endurance and leg strength over time. Early on for me breathing was probably the worst part of running, I thought my lungs were going to explode. Little by little though I got to where I could switch between mouth and nose and lung capacity also improved.
    Hope some of this works out for you!
  • darlenewanamaker
    Options
    You should definitely be breathing out of your mouth because your body needs the oxygen to push you forward. Also make sure you are breathing from your stomach and not your chest. It feels stupid and is hard at first, but it definitely keeps you going longer. Breathing out of your nose is better for less intensive exercises to help boost metabolism. I'm training as well, and I'm going by distance and seeing how much time it takes me to get there at a moderate pace. Hope this helps :)
    It absolutely help THANK YOU so much cause I have no idea where or how to begin, I been trying and felt like I was gettin no where..
  • jjbeach1986
    Options
    When I run, I run outside and I had asthma when I was a kid so for me if I just start running I feel like I'm chocking. My route is about 2-1/2 miles. For the first half mile what I do I walk, not really at a fast pace or anything but I walk and I breath deep. I take in full deep breaths through my nose and exhale through the mouth, try not to get light headed or anything. If you feel yourself getting light headed, obviously, stop and breath normal. For me I have found that this helps, it feels kind of like stretching out your lungs like your would your legs or arms.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You're doing good by starting with a shorter distance - don't worry about time yet - it will come as you get stronger. Don't try to do too much too fast.

Most say to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, but this takes some practice. I'm really bad at breathing in through my nose because I don't feel like I get a deep enough breath, but if you breath in through your mouth, there's a good chance you'll be hoarse and coughing by the time you're done, just because your throat dries out.

I'm sorry but, I believe you are wrong. But you are right about not getting enough oxygen through your nose.

From RunnersWorld:

Here's my point: Barring disease or a blockage of the airways, breathing is pretty automatic. So when a runner told me that he'd been coached to breathe in through his nose and out through his mouth, I was taken aback. Was it possible that I'd been breathing wrong all these years?

Not at all. Even if you're equipped with a prodigious sniffer such as mine, research shows that only 27 to 40 percent of a person's total oxygen intake occurs through the nose during heavy exercise. Once most runners hit about a third of their maximum effort, they prefer breathing oronasaly (through the nose and mouth).

If you inhale only through your nose, you limit the volume of air you can take in. Try this: Take two quick, deep breaths through your nose. (Ignore the curious looks of those sitting near you.) Now do the same through both your nose and mouth. As you'll find, oronasal breathing allows you to take in more air faster than nasal breathing alone.

Bottom line: For optimal breathing while running, use both your nose and mouth.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-275--12374-0,00.html

I've read other articles that say similar and some that say mouth breathing is best. I have NEVER read that you should only be breathing in through your nose.
  • darlenewanamaker
    Options
    You can probably find the C25K app for your phone, or just do what I did and download a podcast with music and someone telling you when to run and when to walk.
    The breathing will build up along with your endurance and leg strength over time. Early on for me breathing was probably the worst part of running, I thought my lungs were going to explode. Little by little though I got to where I could switch between mouth and nose and lung capacity also improved.
    Hope some of this works out for you!
    THANK YOU :flowerforyou:
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You can find plenty of training weekly schedules on line which can help you to alternate fast and distance training. Doing properly both is essential for good performance. You can't handle certain distance in all situations without a proper fast oriented training.

Popular knowlegde and good sense among runners also says "run uphill and you'll run faster" and it's true. strengh based training: if you run uphill you'll become faster. I should be honest: I know a lot about running and run 11 k at my best but never join a race :) but i tried it, that's true.

as for breathing: I breath only with my nose at easy pace, when it gets harder I inbreath with nose and expire through the mouth, not the opposite because cold hair isn't good for your lungs: beginners do it and cannot run further then a few minutes cus cold air dries the respiratory mucosa, even if your muscles and heart do a god job.

enjoy your run!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I never, ever, ever breathe through my nose. When I have tried, aside from not getting enough air, I end up drying out my nasal cavity, which is extremely uncomfortable and lasts for days. I have no issues breathing with my mouth.

I definitely recommend trying something like that C25K as well. You don't have to start from the beginning, chances are, if you can almost get 2 miles, you can run longer than a minute or two at a time. But starting at say, 5 minutes, then walking one and going from there should help you increase your time running, which will also increase your distance.

Keep in mind, the first 2k are the hardest, your body is just getting warmed up. I find once I get past that, it gets easier.

I would also be cautious about adding in speedwork or other training. At this point, focus on running longer, getting stronger and building a good base before you start adding in speedwork/hillwork. Doing too much too soon can lead to injury.

ETA - like C25k will tell you this as well - but all of your runs should be at conversation pace. If you are breathing too heavy, slow down. Many people have a problem with that, but do it. You don't have to be fast, that will come.
  • stephaniej05
    Options

Im sorry but this is totally false info! ive been a runner for 9 years and just finished a 4:03 marathon.. You should be breathing in your nose, out your mouth. And correct me if im wrong here but your lungs, those silly little things used for breathing, are in your chest.. Not your stomach. Try to focus on distance, the speed will come later!
  • mfleeman
    Options
    Another good program is "Run less, run faster"