quinoa?

Options
GuillaineC
GuillaineC Posts: 74 Member
Is that how you spell it? Anyway, I just bought some because my friend said it was good for you, but I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas?

Replies

• Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Use it in place of rice in any recipe. Boom.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I cook it in some broth and then let it cool and add veggies for a salad. I usually add onion, celery, tomato, cucumber, mushroom. I might also add some frozen kernel corn.
  • AylaBean
    AylaBean Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What does it taste like? Does it taste like rice?
  • davisvm
    davisvm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have a rice cooker you may use that to cook it. The flavor is a bit nutty actually. It took me a couple of tries to get used to the flavor. It is good if you mix it with veggies and make a type of fried "rice" from it.
  • eodell1
    Options
    I often cook it with a mixture of 1 part quinoa with 1 part vegetable stock and 1 part water. Sometimes, I cook it with veggies. Let a pot get hot, and then add your quinoa and cooking liquid in the pot. Season it to taste with salt, herbs and spices. When the water boils, add a lid and turn down to low. Allow to cook for 20 minutes.

When I cook it with vegetables, I usually use one vegetable and at least one thing from the onion family. The directions are pretty much the same. Heat up the pan. Add a little oil to seal the vegetables, toss the vegetables in the oil until they start to cook. Then add your quinoa and liquid.

Quinoa is actually a seed and not a grain. It's a complete protein and very beneficial for eating to lose weight.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Those are all good suggestion. I actually like it for breakfast with some raisins and a bit of cinnamon. It's very versatile and can be used in place of just about any grain such as oats or rice or bulgar.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    rinse it first- quinoa can be a bit bitter if it's not rinsed before cooking. But basically, just run with it like rice.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I love it with mint, parsley, sweet onion, feta, lemon juice, salt and pepper and a little olive oil. If you put all that stuff in when it is hot it gets all gooy and is very comforting.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    apparently it's also good with corn. have yet to try it that way, but i do have both in my kitchen...
  • Those are all good suggestion. I actually like it for breakfast with some raisins and a bit of cinnamon. It's very versatile and can be used in place of just about any grain such as oats or rice or bulgar.

This is also how I use it! Very yummy for breakfast.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of meat in chili recipe, Made a black bean chili with it that turned out really good.

in general, it has more taste if you cook it in some sort of broth.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    i serve it as a side with curries, or a meat and veggie dish.

It would also make a yummy pudding -- think of rice pudding -- milk, eggs, vanilla, some honey, spices, and quinoa, baked as a custard! Give me a spoon.