High protein diet?

Options
Hi everyone! Quick question...MFP sometimes says that I am going over my alloted amount of protein per day (i eat lean meat for dinner and often include nuts as a snack during the day). Do you all follow a low carb high protein diet or follow the guidelines from MFP? Which is more effective for weight loss? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• sw33tn3ss07
    Options
    I do! Low carbs and hi protein is the way to go
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Their default ratios are terrible. Try 40/35/25 p/f/c or the like by customizing your settings in the diary. FWIW there is nothing wrong with going over on protein. You would have to ingest an EPIC amount to cause problems.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I try and do high protein, low carb. I don't really pay attention to the fact I go over in protein, I only get concern about going over in sodium and sugar as I try to keep them low.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I try and do high protein, low carb. I don't really pay attention to the fact I go over in protein, I only get concern about going over in sodium and sugar as I try to keep them low.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Low carbs and high protein all the way!
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Quick question...MFP sometimes says that I am going over my alloted amount of protein per day (i eat lean meat for dinner and often include nuts as a snack during the day). Do you all follow a low carb high protein diet or follow the guidelines from MFP? Which is more effective for weight loss? Thanks for your help!

1 gram of Protein per lb of lean body mass, 0.45 - 0.6 grams of fat per lb of bodyweight...fill the rest with carbs =)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the pre-set macros on MFP.

I like 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. This helps maintain muscle mass (or even build new muscle). I've had good success with this macro setting -In addition, I try to eat 28 grams of fiber a day so I'm also easily satisfied with the higher protein and fiber.

Good luck!
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do high protein, customise your goals for a higher protein percentage, chocolate protein bars cut into pieces and kept in fridge or freezer are a great way to get that chocolate/ sweet fix, lost 21 lbs in 16 weeks and feeling great
  • cindyrholmes
    cindyrholmes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A balanced approach is more helpful and will keep your body from experiencing severe cravings while providing it with all the fuel it needs to perform various body maintenance tasks. Eat complex carbs (highly limit simple carbs) and lean proteins and healthy fats. Eating too much protein can cause your body to start producing ketones which can cause problems with your kidneys and blood glucose (sugar) levels. Also failing to eat complex carbs will make fueling your brain and blood cells very difficult and often cause your body to breakdown inappropriately to provide these vital areas fuels, such as lean body mass breakdown. Imbalanced eating can lead to deficiencies, cessation in weight loss, body breakdown, illness, not to mention fatigue and inappropriate hormone secretion that can mentally make you less likely to successfully complete a weight loss program.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do 50% carbs, 25% each fat and protein. I mostly aim to hit or go over the protein and get close to the calories, and let the others fall where they may. I never limit my carbs.
  • IMD1289
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice! How do I change the settings to different percentages of carbs, fat and protein on my diary? Can't seem to find it
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Check this out.

Change your macros if you like.

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/