Personal trainer

Options
Well i won a 3 months gym contract and a 6 weeks personal trainer * YIPPPEEE* , just what i needed !!
So excited its not even funny counting my days till i start .

Well my topic on personal trainer is this ......

firstly i have never had one so i dont know how it works ? if any one has had one or is a personal trainer ,please could you give me some ideas about what happens and MAINLY WHAT IS THE TRAINERS AIM WHEN working with you ??

Im hoping to get the right one but wouldnt know if she is the right one as i have nothing to compare her too .

So please any stories or help would really be appreciated ...

Replies

• tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think she will ask you what you want to get out of the training. At least the one time I had one that is what happened. Good Luck and Congratulations!!!
  • qkiley
    qkiley Posts: 65
    Options
    Congrats!

Working with a trainer can be great! I absolutely love working with my trainer. She pushes you through more intense workouts, builds in different exercises and motivates you.

It is night and day for me how much I get out of a workout when I train by myself, vs with my trainer. Much better workout with my trainer.

That being said, I did have to try a few different trainers in order to find the right one. I needed someone who was going to not only help me workout, but understand my entire fitness journey. I am very fortunate to have an awesome trainer. But I did have to try a few different people before I found the right one.

You will generally know if a trainer is a good fit for you or not. Find one who gets motivated when you are motivated.

As far as what the trainer's aim is, that is something you need to talk with them about. If you want to focus on losing weight, tell them that. If you want to build muscle, let them know. For me it helped to tell them what motivates me and why I am making the commitment to lose the weight.

Good luck, it is going to be great!
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You'll probably going to spend a lot of your first visit asking questions. You can ask her everything you're wanting to know and she will be asking you about what you're wanting to accomplish so she can help you get there. A personal trainer is just another tool to help you. If you're uncomfortable with what she's having you do talk to her about it and try something else. Just relax and enjoy your prize.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    A good trainer will sit down and find out what your goals are. Then build a specific plan to achieve it. They will also assess your current fitness ability and put exercises in your program that not only enhance where you're already strong, but exercises to strengthen your weak areas. This way you have a balanced physique. A good assessment would check on your cardio, strength, flexibility and core area.
  • tonid2011
    Options
    I have a personal trainer who, at our first meeting, asked me a lot of questions... what did i want to get from workig with her - lifestyle questions, favored hand, weaknesses, etc. Then she did the first session in a way that helped her see for herself what I am & am not capable of - strength, balance, energy wise.

For me, its best to work with someone who pushes me - I'm not a great self motivator & need to workout with someone as I won't do it all alone or if I do, its likely a half effort - my need for a trainer is having someone saying... "one more set of 15 - no one likes Burbees but you're doing them today." Stuff like that.

Before you meet with the trainer - decide for yourself what you want & what will work for you then tell the trainer exactly that. The trainer works for you - not the other way round.
  • Brittany_Nguyen
    Options
    I got a personal trainer about two years ago. I originally went in to meet with the owner of the place and told him what I was looking for and what hours I would be available. He actually picked my trainer that fit into my schedule that thought could work me out based on what I was looking for.
    The first time I met with my trainer, we did measurments, he asked me what my goals were, what spots I was most "self concious" about or looking to lose, if I had an ending date like trying to prepare for a wedding etc. The first day we did a light routine work-out. It's funny because I thought to myself, "Wow! I'm not so out of shape afterall." Was I ever so wrong!!! After that visit he customized a work out plan for me.
    I think this is a huge thing too. I needed someone to push me... and I asked him too. Certain workouts I would literally throw up because my body wasn't used to be worked that hard. Those days he would ask if I wanted to quit, and I refused to. They can only push you so hard, if you want the results, you have to push yourself just as hard. I put in my part, and he put in is... but I went from a size 12 to a size 4 dress from early February to late May.
    Summer... I slacked off, so here I am again! Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
  • Allijee
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise and tips - really need to sit down with paper and pen and write down what i really want to get out of this 6 weeks and intern help me to carry on with what i have learnt into the future .
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm going on my second personal trainer(my first one got fired.. more on that in a minute) and the two of them are like night and day.

My first trainer sat down with me, asked me all the questions, and then we got started. He never took my measurements, weight, body fat, recommended products for me, gave me programs or anything. He just showed up, we did a routine and then that was it... I was on my own from there. He never wrote down anything.. which is a major no-no in the PT world. He also made you feel like you needed him.. and if you don't buy more sessions, then your going to fail at your goals.

My trainer that I have now, is one hundred percent different. The first time I saw him, I had conflicts, so we moved the initial consultation to the second session. During that second session, he got all my info, gave me customized cardio programs to do, showed me supplements that he wanted me to take and then got me started with a routine. He always has a routine already picked out for me, and thats what we do. His style is totally different from my old PT, and I'm a lot more comfortable with him. He wants you to learn and do things on your own.. not just depend on him 24/7.

So make sure your PT is someone you mesh with and that you can trust.. cause if you can't trust them, your not going to get very far.
  • Allijee
    Options
    Thanks - true hoping to meet mine in the next week .

Wanted to ask how many times a week do you meet a PT ? is it a daily thing or once or twice a week ?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks - true hoping to meet mine in the next week .

Wanted to ask how many times a week do you meet a PT ? is it a daily thing or once or twice a week ?

I meet with mine once a week for 3 weeks outta the month. Some meet with theirs twice a week or even 3 times a week.

I can't afford that, so I go with what I can afford.