Diet, Life-Style Change, or Maintenance?

Options
RicSnyder
RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
I have dieted in the past only to put the weight right back on when the diet was over. In January of 2011 I was at my all-time high weight and decided instead of dieting, I would change my life style; eating habits, exercise, etc. It’s a totally different feeling than dieting. With dieting I would look forward to the diet being over so I could go back to my old ways; now I don’t think that way. If I want something less than healthy to eat I have it, just on a much smaller scale than before. Also, because most foods I eat now are healthy I can have those whenever I want.
I dropped 30 lbs and don’t worry about putting it back on.
So I was wondering, why are you at MFP, dieting, changing life style, or maintaining your already healthy habits?

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm in between life-style change and maintenance. I've already made the changes and have been maintaining those changes for almost a year, it's just a matter of getting to the weight I want to be at before I truly enter the maintenance phase. The weight is coming off slow and steady and I'm getting stronger every day, so I'm willing to wait patiently for lasting results!
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am still in the changing phase, maintaining some healthy habits and adapting more healthy habits. Have lost 15 lbs so far!! (but have a LOT to go)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance now. I want to make sure I don't put any of the weight back on and while I have confidence in myself now, I like knowing there is a tool available for me to insure I stay on track.
  • suzikay
    Options
    I'm definitely changing my lifestyle, too. This site is brilliant at helping you learn how to get the best nutrition from what you eat and drink, and how exercise interacts with your energy intake. I thought we ate quite a healthy diet before, when I was 33lbs heavier than I am now, and that my obesity was due to the health problems which were preventing me getting enough exercise. However, I now know that I can lose wight simply by tweaking my intake and, further, that I can still find exercise that I can cope with and which also helps. When I reach an acceptable healthy weight then I will continue to monitor my diet for maintenance, maybe periodically rather than constantly, but this site is definitely a tool for health rather than a diet site, and that feels right, to me.
  • sistatv
    sistatv Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle Change for the win!!!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I am between lifestyle change and maintaining my healthy habits. I started this whole new lifestyle 2 years ago and have been successful. I came here to "finish" the job with my weight loss but to also find like minded folks to keep motivated.
  • gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    this is the first time that i have made the change to lose weight and take up exercise and i find i am getting a bigger buzz from this that i would if on a diet
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    This website is for changing lives...not diets!

My whole eating/exercise habits are changed forever. I'm getting closer to my goal weight, and then instead of losing, I will be toning.

After that, I will be using this site for maintenance...and to support my other amazing friends that I have on here :heart:
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Definitely life-style change. Diets are something you go on and off of. This change needs to be permanent and something I can live with. I just can't keep eating/being the way I was. My mom died of a heart attack at 46. She was obese and sedentary. She never got to see any of her grandchildren. I don't want to end up like that.
  • Ilisidi
    Ilisidi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle: it took a long time to get my head screwed on right, and I am happy to be in that place now.

I know it will take time, and that there will be easy times and tough times, but getting my waist back, avoiding diabetes (hopefully), being able to walk a few miles easily, and not being embarrassed by the view in the mirror will keep me on track...I hope ;-)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change. I am in maintenance now.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change for me - I can't go back to alcoholism/smoking + crash dieting - I think my liver was starting to disintegrate! Felt all achy - running is the only thing that gives me a drug-like euphoria without being harmful.