OK, Kinda stupid question - Bacon :)

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
When I was in Ireland this spring, their Bacon was AMAZING. Real, beautiful meat. Here, it's this odd fake-ish meat *LOL* IS there a way to get the same bacony goodness they had there here in the states? Is there some fancy gourmet online store for example?

Replies

• wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-irish-bacon.htm read that, from wisegeek.com.

"Traditionally Irish bacon is made from the back meat of the pig, as opposed to the pork belly used in American bacon. This makes it quite similar to Canadian bacon. Both are cured and have about the same thickness in slices. Both are cooked until done but not crisped like American bacon." he said.

http://www.irishbaconslicers.com/
    http://www.balsonbutchers.com/?gclid=COT_ytyXtKwCFZFb7AoddhvUmg

for bacons. good luck.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    rock on. clearly your google skills are much better than mine :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-irish-bacon.htm read that, from wisegeek.com.

"Traditionally Irish bacon is made from the back meat of the pig, as opposed to the pork belly used in American bacon. This makes it quite similar to Canadian bacon. Both are cured and have about the same thickness in slices. Both are cooked until done but not crisped like American bacon." he said.

http://www.irishbaconslicers.com/
    http://www.balsonbutchers.com/?gclid=COT_ytyXtKwCFZFb7AoddhvUmg

for bacons. good luck.
    Actually we use both types. What in the US is called "Bacon" we call them "Rashers".

A the large ones made from the back meat of the pig are called "Back Rashers".
    The ones made from the pigs belly are generally called called "Streaky Rashers".

But to add chaos to confusion: we generally use the term "Bacon" to refer to Streaky Rashers when asking for a BLT but some places make BLT's from Back Rashers.

:laugh:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    As if their bacon wasn't enough contribution to the culinary world, they gave us Guinness too. God bless the Irish.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    As if their bacon wasn't enough contribution to the culinary world, they gave us Guinness too. God bless the Irish.

And whiskey and yummy oatmeal and the shandy and I'm crediting them with bread pudding with custard sauce. Plus, they saved civilization (though I haven't read that book because every March when I see it on the end caps at Target and EVERY bookstore, I think "well, yeah, duh!") But mmmm... bacon and Guinness.

And lead crystal.
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    double post. But I really meant it.
  • cutezombiedoll
    Options

And whiskey and yummy oatmeal and the shandy and I'm crediting them with bread pudding with custard sauce. Plus, they saved civilization (though I haven't read that book because every March when I see it on the end caps at Target and EVERY bookstore, I think "well, yeah, duh!") But mmmm... bacon and Guinness.

And lead crystal.

Wasn't oatmeal Scottish? Or has my Scottish family been lying to me this entire time?

Also, the Irish helped to popularize the potato. And they make amazing cheddar cheese. A nice treat if you can spare the calories. :)
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    In Canada, I've never seen anything called "canadian" bacon.. I'm not sure what Americans are talking about when they mention it. Probably just ham. We have this thing called Peameal bacon, though.. usually more expensive and looks entirely different than what you'd expect of bacon.
  • Thomasm198
    Options

And lead crystal.

Wasn't oatmeal Scottish? Or has my Scottish family been lying to me this entire time?

Also, the Irish helped to popularize the potato. And they make amazing cheddar cheese. A nice treat if you can spare the calories. :)
    And people from Scotland will also try telling you that they created whiskey. Well the oldest whiskey distillery is Irish (Bushmills - granted a licence to distil whiskey in 1608) :tongue:
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    Back Rashers
    Back_Rasher_RO400g.jpg

Streaky Rashers/Bacon
    streaky_bacon.jpg
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    In Canada, I've never seen anything called "canadian" bacon.. I'm not sure what Americans are talking about when they mention it. Probably just ham. We have this thing called Peameal bacon, though.. usually more expensive and looks entirely different than what you'd expect of bacon.

What Americans call "Canadian bacon" we generally call "back bacon".
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options

And lead crystal.

And people from Scotland will also try telling you that they created whiskey. Well the oldest whiskey distillery is Irish (Bushmills - granted a licence to distil whiskey in 1608) :tongue:

pish posh I say.

I'll give the Scottish their skirts for men and their tape!

(truth be told I'm probably as Scottish as Irish on the one side of the family, but Irish is the identity I express, unless I'm being cheap. All Norway on the other side, which I remember when I have a third cup of bad coffee, knowing its still bad.)

The oatmeal in my pantry clearly says "Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal". Would advertising lie to me?