is to much protein a bad thing ?

Since I started tracking my daily in take,I have taken notice of how much protein is in my diet. Is to much a bad thing?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    If:

1) The excess protein you consume brings you over your calorie intake for the day
    or
    2) The excess protein causes you to continually neglect dietary fat intake

Then this is not ideal and you should correct it.

Otherwise, no.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    MFP actually has protein set pretty low. I upped my protein goal manually because I work out A LOT. If you're using the protein, you should be good to go.
  • Yes.

Too much protein will make your body become acidic and cause all sorts of problems.

As long as your not getting any more than 40% of your calories from protein, I'm sure you're fine. You would have to consume at least 200 grams of protein to get to 40% so most people won't have to worry one bit.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    It depends!
    For me it is No.
    Because protein helps with skin and hair and nails. And for me I have my hair falling out a lot and we are not sure why so I enjoy my protein intake
  • Yes.

Too much protein will make your body become acidic and cause all sorts of problems.

As long as your not getting any more than 40% of your calories from protein, I'm sure you're fine. You would have to consume at least 200 grams of protein to get to 40% so most people won't have to worry one bit.

I am on 50/40/30 method and the 40% for me is 100 grams. I guess it varies from person to person.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Too much of anything is a bad thing. If you're going over your protein by a little bit, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you are exercising.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Mystic daisy, looking at your diary, your protein goal is 45g per day, which is pretty low, and you don't go over by that much, so it's no big deal.

Anything up to 100g is fine, especially if you are doing some muscle building/ strength training.
  • mysticdaisy78
    mysticdaisy78 Posts: 24 Member
    Mystic daisy, looking at your diary, your protein goal is 45g per day, which is pretty low, and you don't go over by that much, so it's no big deal.

Anything up to 100g is fine, especially if you are doing some muscle building/ strength training.

:flowerforyou: Thank you for taking the time to look at my journal! That was exactly what I needed to know!!