cooking a head

Options
I am looking for ideas for stuff that I can cook for the week. I like to make a big batch of something(soup, casseroles, chilli etc ), and portion then freeze them. Then I have quick healthy meals always available.

Ideas? recipes? I love skinny taste and the food network

Replies

• jeeping_mom
    Options
    Pfew... Cooking ahead. Not cooking a head.

Make a whole Chicken on Sunday - you can make meals out of it all week :)
  • martinh78
    Options
    Cooking ahead is different to cooking a head, although you could cook a head ahead if you wanted :o)

I like chilli as this freezes well and can be cooked from frozen :o)
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options

:laugh:

I was wondering for a moment there...
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

X 2, so relieved. lol

I bought a book called Once a Month Cooking. It was great for planning ahead. Maybe your library has it to look at. It has really good ideas.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Tacos de cabeza (beef head tacos) are delicious!
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    HAHAHA, WHOOPS big difference!!! I don't want to cook a head, but hey it made you click on the post :)

Cooking ahead of time :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    this thread lost all fun because of that typo :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Chuck a pile of boneless skinless chicken breast in a crock pot with a bag of peppers and onions, a little salsa, cilantro, chopped tomatoes, etc. Add some shredded cheese and it's good in enchiladas (or as Mexican lasagna if you're lazy like me... just layer whole wheat tortillas like you would lasagna noodles), or over rice, or even over tortilla chips for chicken nachos grande. Yum.

You can also cook a head in a crock pot if you have a big enough pot. Or small enough head. :wink:
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I thought that was going to be signed Jeffrey Dahmer...
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I make turkey chili and then eat it by the bowl, put it in soft tortillas, top off an omelet or put it on spaghetti. I also make a nice tomato sauce that can be changed with additions like basil or cilantro. Then I use it to (again) put on pasta, top off omelets, make huevos rancheros, etc.

Sometimes I buy a costco rotisserie chicken and eat the breasts for dinner or on sandwiches. I then pick the chicken, boil the bones with veggies to make stock and then do the usual stuff necessary to make soup. Or, like someone else said, I'll make chicken enchiladas.

Lastly, I bake a butternut squash and use it in place of mashed potatoes or noodles. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll roast a spaghetti squash and use that instead of pasta. If you'd like recipes, just message me!

All my homemade food is lowfat, yummy and healthy.
  • numberscolors
    Options
    bwahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options

I was wondering if you were talking about cooking a head of cabbage or cauliflower. Didn't even think about an actual head. Lol
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I was wondering for a moment there...

Yeah, I was trying to remember what ethnic cuisines had animal heads as part of their repertoire. LOL
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

This is why we need to be able to edit topic titles. LOL
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options

X 2, so relieved. lol

I bought a book called Once a Month Cooking. It was great for planning ahead. Maybe your library has it to look at. It has really good ideas.

There are many many websites with such recipes. Just google make ahead meals, once a month cooking or anything along that line.

I cook like I did when my kids were all still home, instead of us all eating at the meal, I make up my own TV dinners. I do a couple full meals every weekend and add to my collection in the freezer. I think I still have a couple of dinners left from last Thanksgivng. :blushing:

I especially like water based soups like, bean, 15 bean, chili, chix and rice, split pea and ham, garden candy soup.
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Oh my! That was too funny. I cook lots of chicken or ground sirloin or bison ahead. Gives me options for all kinds of things through the week.