your outdoor running habits

Options
Feel free to write about being maniacs about what you eat before, when you run, what you put on and all: I'm very curious. That's good.

Actually my questions are: do you run from home straight outside? or do you have to go by car to a proper area and there you start running?

Because I took up running where I was living near a nice suburb area, and since I moved I'm bound to reach another place by car because I'm not used to overcrowded platforms and urban streets where you have to pay attention and can't daydream while running. are there some urban runners among you? how do you deal with it?

Replies

• shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood. Usually as soon as i wake. But lately I've had a hard time getting out of bed. My neighborhood isn't too bad and i can day dream and enjoy the run
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I can reach a great place by the river in 25mins fast walk. Its a popular place, but manageable (and some days empty!).
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I live in a suburb with sidewalks that link to a short running path then back to sidewalks again, so I start from my home. I use an app on my phone (runkeeper) to track my distance, pace, time and # of calories burned.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I run around my neighborhood, I figured out how to make the miles even out at my house so I can take off and when I get back know exactly how far I've gone. I eat a bowl of oatmeal/eggs/etc. about half hour before heading out. Since it's getting colder I wear my capri running shorts, long sleeve tee, running vest, wool cap and gloves. I also bring my dog :)
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I live in the suburbs. I usually run from my house. Sometimes on the weekend I drive to a park that is about 15 miles away so that I can get some hill work in. When I run first thing in the morning, I grab a handful of dried fruit as I am heading out the door. I run with my dog so I feel relatively safe even in the early morning dark hours.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I do a couple different runs

Around the neighborhood, about 2 miles, mostly uphill

To the Highschool and back 4.2 miles, a little uphill I also will throw in around the block 3 times that brings it up to 5.25 miles

When I am working with my personal trainer he has a huge hill by his gym and I will run uphill and sprint down hill it's about 1.5 miles total, Somedays I will do it twice.

If I run/jog in the morning I will usually just drink some water about 16 oz before and 16 oz after, eat breakfast, then go to work. Those days I do it in the morning I will usually just do the 2 miles around the neighborhood followed by a cool down mile around the block.
  • Jers43
    Jers43 Posts: 100
    Options
    I have two different runs. during the week before or after work I run a course that I measured out by the mile a one mile loop from my driveway around the hood and back to my driveway. This way I know how far and how fast I am going . After 8 months I run this course at no less than 4 loops 3 times aweek (monday wed fri) takes 30 - 35 minutes depending on my motivation. on the weekends I free run 60-90 minutes just all around I don't know how far I am going just a slower pace long run. As far as food goes I have 16 ounces of hot black coffee before it helps me breath easy especially when it is cold out. I eat one cup of cold oatmeal with milk and honey when I get home. I drink plenty of water all day every day at least two one litre bottles.
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    I live in a fairly urban area but I avoid the busy streets because I hate being stopped at stop lights. Messes up my flow, man! There's a great park close to me that I run through a lot or I just stick to the quietest streets possible. Now that its getting dark earlier I don't particularly like the idea of running through a dark park alone so I might just suck it up and run on the busier streets. In light colored, reflective clothing of course!

I never, ever drink before my run or else I get side cramps, but I try to be sure I've been hydrating up until maybe an hour before I run? I like to brush my teeth before I go though. Any one else do that?? I hate having that dryness in my mouth. I'll have pb toast or a power bar before I go, and then a protein shake, banana, or apple after I get back.
  • MikeReynolds
    Options
    I run at least 5 times around my neighborhood block which is a 5K. What helps is there is a hill i run up so when I run in the races it is easier :) Most of the time I have been doing 6 or 7 times around It has really helped. I have lost 34 lbs since February 20th.
  • _runchick
    Options
    I run both outside (gorgeous area along the waterfront path) and inside on the treadmill when it is damn cold and icy outside... I always have 1/2 whole wheat english muffin w light laughing cow cheese about 15min previous . keeps me going - and a banana when I get back..and I drink loads of water before. I prefer not to run w water unless I go more than 10km or over an hour....
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    thanks for such interesting replies :D

It's fun: when I go outside in early (freezing) morning, with normal pace pedestrians and driver frowning at me, I feel pretty weirdo :) Reading you make me feel less out of common ( which has been actually one more reason to workout in running - only area..)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Where I run from depends on what type of run I am doing. If I do a longer run, I usually will drive somewhere else, or get dropped off because I find it too much to start and end all my runs in the same spot. If I run my usual route, its kinda discouraging knowing normally I would be turning around here, but have to keep going for a long run, does that make sense?
    I have two main routes I run from home, although there are a number of ways I could go . Problem is most of them are straight uphill. I would be considered urban, however, its not crowded or anything. There is a bit of traffic, but nothing like you seem to have to deal with.
    I also run home from work sometimes. I can get someone to follow me home to drop of my car during the day, then I have no choice but to ge my planned run in. I have even started running to the grocery store to pick up a couple of items I need instead of driving.
    Other times, I will drive just to find a nice spot to run. There are a number of nice trails around, and plenty of scenic runs, I will drive just to run them.

What I eat? Nothing in particular. I don't tend to run first thing in the morning. I just make sure I eat at least 2 hours before I go. If I have a long run planned with someone else first thing in the morning I will eat a Cliff bar since I can run a little sooner after eating those. They are my race day food as well. Other than that, I eat my usual food and wait for it to settle.

Like a PP said, I dont take water unless I am doing more than 10k.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood. I have a 3.11 route mapped out that usually takes me 40 minutes to do.

As for eating pre run, usually yogurt with granola or a banana.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I usually run around my neighborhood. But there are some great trails here, that I really should hit more.
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I live in the city so I run around the neighborhood which can get a little hard at times (because everyone is always walking around) but there's enough sidewalk that it works.

When I'm at home in the suburbs I can also run around the neighborhood. There's plenty of room and no need to drive somewhere else unless I want a more scenic view :)
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I run laps around my apartment complex -- 1 lap = .4 miles (I measured it with my car). It's a pretty boring "route," but the roads outside the complex are pretty busy and scary to run along (even with a sidewalk it makes me nervous at intersections). I usually run 3-4 miles 3x a week and 5-6 miles 2x a week. If it hasn't rained recently, I'll drive to a local park and do a trail run on Saturdays (but lately it's been pretty cold and wet, so I haven't been able to do that in a while). I usually don't eat anything before a run, but sometimes will have a big cup of coffee with almond milk. After a run I usually have a bowl of oatmeal or similar hot cereal and an egg white omelet.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper to map out areas in the neighborhood to run. Sometimes I walk a couple blocks to the park near my house and run laps around that, but it gets pretty boring. My favorite place to run is on trails and I've discovered some nice ones that start about a mile from my house.
  • turnerjh
    Options
    I don't usually eat before I run if it is early in the morning. If I am going 6+ miles, I will eat a spoonful of peanut butter but usually try not to eat within a couple of hours of running. I live near the downtown area of a small town with lots of sidewalks so I almost always run from home. I have several different routes varying from 3 to 13 miles but rarely get farther away from home than 1 1/2 miles. If I am at school, I run on the sidewalks from there and have different routes from 3-7 miles. I use a Garmin Forerunner to keep track of distance, pace, calories, etc. I work out of town two days a week and run from that office just by time for 45-90 minutes. My must haves when running are my iPod, a hat, and chewing gum. I have found the gum to be very helpful in keeping me from getting that dreaded dry mouth feeling. I hate running inside, either on the track or treadmill, and as long as the sidewalks are not iced over, you will find me outside. My biggest complaint concerns the people who think it is sport to yell and blow the horn at runners. So annoying!