Green Tea

Options
So I read that green tea helps get rid of belly fat among other things. I was just wondering if it has to be plain green tea or if the flavored green tea is just as effective?

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Whatever works - has a lot of caffeine too which is why it works
  • Knowing a little bit about green tea,the added flavour should not affect the effectiveness.

Green tea, like all teas, is made from the camelia sinensis plant and contain polyphenols in different ratios. The flavourings are added during or after processing, using fruit, flowers and artificial flavourings. The flavouring should not affect how effective the tea is in your weight loss.

However, one factor that may matter is the quality of your tea. Whole leaf green tea is going to a higher grade than Tetle who uses the lowest grade of tea in their bags.

Drink a higher quality tea to reap all of its benefits.

Whole leaf tea can be quite cheap (per cup made at home) as it is sold by weight and tea leaves do not weigh much.

Have you considered OOLONG TEA? Google it....it seems that it has solid research to back its weight loss claims.

Hope this helps....
  • kari1740
    kari1740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you , I am going to try it!
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    A well timed thread :)
    Today purchased my first packet of green tea (Clipper, with lemon)!
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Hmmmm both are fine, however I would stick to plain green tea. I also drink peppermint tea...helps with bloating!
  • poodlehepler
    poodlehepler Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't have good luck with green tea.. It makes me lose weight I guess because I throw up my toe nails whenever I have it. I have only had it in vitamins and some other tablet form. Have not drank liquid green tea before I am scared it will make me sick
  • sambo155
    Options
    I decided recently to give up diet soda and drink more green tea but I don't know much about it, either. I'm definitely going to check out the oolong tea someone mentioned.

Any suggestions on brands of tea bags (or the whole leaf) to buy? I bought Bigelow with Peach yesterday and I'm not a fan. I know I want decaf and a brand that has alot of health benefits. I'm also on a budget and big into coupons so I can't go buying some extravagant brand.

I'm planning on sweetening it with stevia. (Had a coupon and it was on sale.) What are your thoughts on that? I thought I would like to use local honey to sweeten it but then there's the calories... but it's all natural sooo.... ???
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options
    The health benefits of green tea are endless and it doesn't matter flavoured not flavoured whatever...but don't expect to get ripped and have a six pack just by drinking green tea. You need to have a clean diet, a workout good plan, a proper caloric deficit, along with A LOT of hard work and patience :D
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    Green tea has a lot of heath benefits. Just google "green tea health benefits" and you'll find plenty of information. And while it does have caffeine, it is not high at all. Compared to coffee or most sodas, it's nothing. I drink it before bed time with no problems.

A note to first time green tea drinkers: Don't brew it the way you would black tea or you'll hate the results. Green tea generally should be steeped no more than two minutes, and I'd do less if you are using a tea bag. Otherwise it will become very bitter very fast. Also, the water should be steaming, not boiling. If you accidently bring the water to a full boil, wait about 4-5 minutes to pour the water. You'll get much better results if you use loose leaf and an infuser rather than a tea bag. There are lots of varieties of green teas but my personal favorite is Lung Ching (also known as Dragonwell). It's a very famous variety of Chinese green tea and has a lovely, nutty flavor when it's made correctly.
  • sambo155
    Options
    Excellent advice, finchase! I did everything wrong yesterday. No wonder it tasted blech! Thanks for the tips!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Love green tea!... I drink it super plain and decaf....oh and sometimes I may add lemon...but for the most part plain!! and can drink it all the time..
  • I decided recently to give up diet soda and drink more green tea but I don't know much about it, either. I'm definitely going to check out the oolong tea someone mentioned.

Any suggestions on brands of tea bags (or the whole leaf) to buy? I bought Bigelow with Peach yesterday and I'm not a fan. I know I want decaf and a brand that has alot of health benefits. I'm also on a budget and big into coupons so I can't go buying some extravagant brand.

I'm planning on sweetening it with stevia. (Had a coupon and it was on sale.) What are your thoughts on that? I thought I would like to use local honey to sweeten it but then there's the calories... but it's all natural sooo.... ???

My advice would be to locate tea shop near you and purchase whole/full leaf tea from there. We have chain stores like TeaOpia, The Tea Emporium and David's Tea near us. For bags, I believe TAZO makes whole leaf teas.

If you are into calorie counting, stevia would be a better sweetner than honey. Honey is a sugar that is high in calories and will tweak the flavour of the tea. I personally do not like the artificial sweetness that I think stevia gives to things, but it does add sweetness.

If brewed correctly (as suggested above) and made from a quality product, you should not need a sweetner...the flavour should be pleasing on its own.