arm fat

Options
i am 5 foot 6 inches and wiegh 142 pounds .i am a little overwieght but my arms a huge . i want them to be thinner .what can i do??

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, unfortunately. Watching what you eat and exercising will make you lose fat everywhere and around your arms too... Strength training might help getting a "toner" look too.

I really wish I had a solution because I have the same problem!
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yea, you can't spot reduce with out surgery, you just have to eat right and exercise, hoping it will go away from there too.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Weight exercises for arms do show results pretty quickly - biceps curls, triceps dips ect will help the overall shape of your arms.
  • rcpayton
    Options
    Im not happy with my arms either after losing 41 lbs and within 20 lbs from a healthy goal weight. Ive heard arm fat can be the last to go. Keep at it
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm still not convinced you can't spot reduce!! I've been lifting weights with arms...started with 3 lbs and have gradually moved up to 15 lbs and my arms have had a TREMENDOUS reduction.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have the biggest arms ever! They are literally the same size as my 400 lb friend. I'm 213 :(
  • smangani
    smangani Posts: 120
    Options
    I have this problem too and have had this question for a long time! If I ever get to goal weight I may do something more drastic with my arms but for now are there specific arm exercises you recommend?
  • jammyone
    Options
    In agreement with a lot the other posters; you can't reduce fat in one place. a reduction in overall body fat will reduce the fat on your arm - so I say stick at it, you will get there eventually.

Arm exercises WILL NOT spot reduce, however they will give them shape and make them appear less fleshy if that is what you want. Just be happy with your overall results, you will get there soon enough! :-)
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    I was born with HUGE arms. even at my skinniest, i had fatty arms. I have found over time that i have virtually no triceps and never had, so am lifting weights to build muscle, but the only way I have lost arm fat is by losing overall weight. When i started my journey at 258 pounds they were 18 inches round. Now they are 13 inches round after 50 pounds gone, so they do disappear quickly :) I think that is one of my fattiest areas, one with the most fat cells.

According to a tidbit posted at my gym, all areas of the body have X fat cells. Nothing you do will reduce the number of fat cells in an area besides surgery, but by forcing your fat cells to release the stored energy, they shrink.

Hope this all helps and most women have the same problem anyways, especially those of us that have to work hard to lose weight :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too and have had this question for a long time! If I ever get to goal weight I may do something more drastic with my arms but for now are there specific arm exercises you recommend?

What I can think of..
    Biceps: Bicep curls + chin ups (palms facing inward)
    Triceps: Tricep dips, cable push downs, "skullcrushers" - (google or youtube should show you what this looks like)

Also, chin ups and dips can both be assisted if you can't do them on your own yet :)

These exercises should help you to build some muscle there, creating a more toned look, providing body fat is low enough. They cannot reduce the fat specifically in this area. To do that you need a calorie deficit and cardio to reduce overall bodyfat.