ready to give up

Options
I know you have all heard my whining before, but I am soo discouraged. I have been working very hard at this since Dec 31, and as of today I have not lost one pound. I have increased my exercise. I eat most of my exercise calories. I have even gone over calories for about a month now, thinking I might be in starvation mode. I drink most of my water, and I try to be very faithful about calories going in and out. Even measuring my food. The only thing that I am not doing well at is eating a lot of veggies, but I do have some. And no my clothes don't feel any bigger. Does anyone have any ideas. Should I increase my calories, decrease them, I am at a loss....:sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    I know you have all heard my whining before, but I am soo discouraged. I have been working very hard at this since Dec 31, and as of today I have not lost one pound. I have increased my exercise. I eat most of my exercise calories. I have even gone over calories for about a month now, thinking I might be in starvation mode. I drink most of my water, and I try to be very faithful about calories going in and out. Even measuring my food. The only thing that I am not doing well at is eating a lot of veggies, but I do have some. And no my clothes don't feel any bigger. Does anyone have any ideas. Should I increase my calories, decrease them, I am at a loss....:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't have an answer (one that you are looking for anyway). I'm in the same situation . I thought I was loosing, but now I am right where I started from those 6 pounds I lost are sneaking back up with no hope of them coming off. The yo yo affect is annoying!

Some may suggest that you are gaining muscule which I have heard before to be a possibility. I wouldn't give up though, peoples body's do act different. My inspiration on here is all the people that have lost a lot of weight but it is all over time. Just continue with it, try re evaluating your profile; make a few adjustments. Or better yet, maybe see what a nutritionist says. She'll give you the amount of calories your body needs then you can come to this site and place that info in and possibly see the results you are looking for.

I know what it is like to be discourage because I am there too, But I am sticking with it and paying attention not to go over too much in my calories too soon. The weekends seem to be the hardest for me since I am with family and they cook so darn cook that I cannot resist. :happy:

I hope things go well with you.
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    Can you tell us what a basic day of eating is like. You say you don't eat your veggies so I'm curious what you do eat. That can be a MAJOR factor. Calories are not all the same and everybody's body is different on how they respond to it.

List a typical day and let's go from there.

Ok?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes forever, especially if you don't have a lot to lose.

If you means allow, try meeting with a trainer or nutritionist. Make sure they measure your body fat.

I'm "heavy" for my size. But, I have a large frame (I actually AM "big boned") and I'm (I hate this quote) "very lean for a woman OF MY AGE" (I'm 36. . .ouch!)

I had set a goal weight based on weight alone, and I'm actually at a healthy size right now. (I"m still trying to get even leaner body fat% wise, but not to lose more lbs.)

Anyways, that's what worked for me. I am a firm believer in getting a professional opinion if you can.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Agree with viviakay - at the very least go to the doctor. Do your physical. Make sure everything is fine before trying 1,000 different things. Since you are in BC, this shouldn't be a problem right?
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    Just tried to post my daily menu, but somehow lost it.... Have to get to work, but will add it later.
    I work out at curves three times a week, and they measure your body fat there. I was at 36% body fat there (Yuck!!!). Then the last time they did it she said I was at 34%....Heres the BUT... They had just gotten a new scale and your weight has to be factored into this maching for the body fat count. Well the scale said I had lost three pounds, thats great , but everyone else in the club also lost three pounds. So I don't hold much faith in those results. I am seeing my doctor on Tuesday and Im going to talk to him about this, and get some recommendations to see a trainer etc...
    Thanks
    Everyone!!!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP. YOU CAN AND YOU WILL DO THIS:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Just tried to post my daily menu, but somehow lost it.... Have to get to work, but will add it later.
    I work out at curves three times a week, and they measure your body fat there. I was at 36% body fat there (Yuck!!!). Then the last time they did it she said I was at 34%....Heres the BUT... They had just gotten a new scale and your weight has to be factored into this maching for the body fat count. Well the scale said I had lost three pounds, thats great , but everyone else in the club also lost three pounds. So I don't hold much faith in those results. I am seeing my doctor on Tuesday and Im going to talk to him about this, and get some recommendations to see a trainer etc...
    Thanks
    Everyone!!!

I've heard bad things about the body fat measurements at curves. (very inconsistently trained people doing the measurements) A certified trainer is what you need.

In the meantime, this was accurate to my trainer's readings (within 1%)
    http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a plan! The ladies are soooo right about seeing a professional. Takes the guess work out, you won't waste time and perhaps could uncover something about your health. Make sure you take with you a copy of what you eat daily and notes on your exercise. It will help state your case and show them how serious and frustrated you are!

Quick story...friend of mine told her doc she couldn't lose weight and felt like crap...blah, blah...they tested but found nothing. Everyone thought she just wasn't trying hard enough. She then journaled what she ate and exercise and went to a nutritionist. The nutritionist noticed a lot of gluten filled meals and suggested she be tested for food sensitivities and allergies. Low and behold she had intolerance to gluten and as soon as that was cut out of her diet all other issues were solved.

So..don't give up...get busy figuring this out!
  • babiecuddles
    babiecuddles Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don’t have advice as far as what to do unless it would be recalculate your calorie intake maybe you need to lower it but I’ve been having a hard time myself but the reason I wanted to reply to your post I that I looked at your profile and you are awesome. :happy: :flowerforyou: Congrats on Quitting smoking. It has been almost 3 year’s sense I quit and I gained a lot when I did and there is no way I would have take on weight loss only 4 months after quitting. So if you can quit smoking I know you can do this, hang in there.
    And as for your age I’m 37 years young , with two young children I don’t have time to be “getting old” :bigsmile: they keep us young.
  • sante9719
    sante9719 Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't fel bad, I am in the same boat as you. Despite this fact I refuse to give up and you shouldn't either. What you should do, and what I have had to do myself, is take a hard look at your current actions and find areas for improvement. Once you identify them focus on making incremental changes until you start to see an impact. In my case, I need to replace my current snacks (100 calorie packs of cookies, crackers, sugarfree gum) with more healthy options. Since Rome wasn't built in a day and radical changes often lead to failure, I have decided to limit my self to one processed food a day of no more than 250 calories. This will allow me to indulge in one of my vices but also force me to find new options such as fresh fruits and veggies. In your case you probably need to incorporate more veggies into your diet. As I can attest, it probably won't be easy and for the first few days you'll probably be craving every thing you shouldn't have. However, once you start losing those new alternatives will seem more and more appealing. To help shake things up, and break out of your rut, try a few new recipies and change up your exercise routine. If your a runner try a cycling class, if your a cardio junkie, add a little strength training. Whatever you do don't give up, you have a whole community of people behind you and with a little help, I'm sure you (and me too) will succed.
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    It is ok I have only lost 1 crack head pound. But shoots my confidence is up and I feel much better. So screw the scale.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel today and your words could be my words.

My weight loss story starts in August when I returned from vacation. The end of Sept I signed up with a weight loss/detox plan and lost 20 pounds by Thanksgiving and about 12 inches (about 8 weeks). Between Thanksgiving day and Jan 6th (about 6 weeks), I went off the program and regained 10 of the pounds, but none of the inches, hmmm??? I found this site about the 21st of Jan and put my information in and since then I have lost only 2 pounds and a couple of more inches, which really surprises me because that's a noticable difference. I've tried doing less exercise, more calories, I've tried going totally off everything for four days and starting again.

I'm totally frustrated with my progress everyday and basically feel, what's the use. Then the sensible me kicks in and asks, what's the alternative. I feel better, have more energy, have something constructive to focus my time and attention on. In my heart, it's really not enough. I finally got insurance and it kicks in on the 15th. I'm going to the doctor for a physical and some baseline testing to see if there is something physical that is stopping my progress. If not, then I'm off to a nutritionist to do an evaluation of my eating. I don't know what else to do. If anyone lives in the NW, between Portland OR and Seattle WA, and has suggestions on nutrition services that are available, I think I'll be needing them come April.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    The problem may be that you're eating to your exercise calories and not to the pre-exercise calorie level.

I guess the question that should be asked is on any given day how many calories are you allocated before you work out and then how many calories a day do you actually eat.

When I wasn't losing weight it was because I was eating to the exercise level of calories (2000) a day vice the initial allocation (1470) that i was supposed to be eating.

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted because, as you see, we all want to help. Bob
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    The problem may be that you're eating to your exercise calories and not to the pre-exercise calorie level.

I guess the question that should be asked is on any given day how many calories are you allocated before you work out and then how many calories a day do you actually eat.

When I wasn't losing weight it was because I was eating to the exercise level of calories (2000) a day vice the initial allocation (1470) that i was supposed to be eating.

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted because, as you see, we all want to help. Bob

I thought we was suppose to eat our exercise calories? You will go into starvation mode if you dont?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

I thought we was suppose to eat our exercise calories? You will go into starvation mode if you dont?

If you set up your goal to loose a specific amount of weight, you MAY eat your calories, depending on your goal, and how brave you are, you don't HAVE to eat all of them, Most doctors think that about a 1000 calorie deficite is about as high as you should ever go. Which is about 2 lbs a week. but there are exemptions to that rule, like if your already close to your goal, or if your generally a very small person, these numbers become smaller, and if you are morbidly obese, these numbers can usually be larger (and often are), which is why people on the biggest looser loose so much weight at the start.
  • BrendaH
    BrendaH Posts: 17
    Options
    I know people have said it before but check out your carb intake. Also you may want to go to the doctors for a physical just to make sure nothing else is going on
  • shellynbuzz
    Options
    Don't give up, I have been in the same boat and you feel like you don't have an oar. Everyone gave really good ideas, seeing a pro is a great idea. I found out I'm allergic to corn, which means corn meal, corn flour, corn syrup, anything with the biproduct of corn, etc I cut that out and I do better and feel better. I do well when I eat more veggies and less of the other stuff ,I lose weight. Plus I can eat a lot more veggies, tons of veggies. Hang in there, it will all work out!!!:happy:
  • musetoo
    musetoo Posts: 1
    Options
    I just had to ask, since no one's mentioned it, what medications are you taking, if any? I found that some meds I'm on really interfere with my weight loss, but I kept plugging along, doing little things (like giving up cheese on my sandwiches, drinking a lot more water, etc.). It took me about 4 months to get my metabolism on the rise before I lost any weight. A nutritionist was a BIG help! She reminded me that even if I only lose a half pound a week, by the end of a year, that's 25 pounds!!! Some days it is just plugging along....
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I am going back to things I learned from WW and from South Beach and from habits I had the last time I was successful in losing 35 pounds; while I'm waiting for a doctor's appointment. I think I'm eating way too many carbs, both simple and complex, and not nearly enough vegetables. Every body is different and for me, being able to just count calories and the heck with what they are is not a good combination.