If you've purchased a HRM (advice please!)

Options
I figure these questions have been asked a zillion times on the forums but thought maybe you guys could answer them for this (relative) newbie.

For those of you who have purchased a Heart Rate Monitor:

Any regrets? Wish you hadn't spent the money?
Chest strap: is it a pain, is it comfortable, any issues with getting a heart rate reading?
Is there any way to get a heart rate reading w/out using a chest strap (maybe this is a dumb question)?

I am looking at the Polar FT4; about what I could afford through amazon.. who has it? Do you like it?

Replies

• cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog about it, go check it out
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    No regrets. I feel confident in my exercise calories now. Chest strap is the most accurate way, and no I don't find it uncomfortable at all. I have a Suuntos, so no opinion on the Polars
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I figure these questions have been asked a zillion times on the forums but thought maybe you guys could answer them for this (relative) newbie.

For those of you who have purchased a Heart Rate Monitor:

Any regrets? Wish you hadn't spent the money?
    Chest strap: is it a pain, is it comfortable, any issues with getting a heart rate reading?
    Is there any way to get a heart rate reading w/out using a chest strap (maybe this is a dumb question)?

I am looking at the Polar FT4; about what I could afford through amazon.. who has it? Do you like it?

I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice on this. I have had a Polar ft4 and now a ft7. LOVE it and don't regret spending the money. I never exercise without it. Chest strap is no biggie and I am not even aware I have it on. I did have a HRM that was a watch only and you had to touch the watch to see your heart rate. Biggest pain in the butt ever. I recommend the Polars all the way.
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just bought an FT7 this weekend and got it at a GREAT price. They shipped it the same day, too -- I am happy to get it in a few days!

www.heartratemonitorsusa.com

use coupon code pink for 5% off.

Free shipping.
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the polar f4 and my only regret is not buying it sooner. The chest strap is comfortable. It only has been an issue in one class that has us on our stomachs a lot. You do have to wear the chest strap to get a HR read and calories burned. Well worth the money!!
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have an FT4, I love it! I know the pricier ones do more, but all I want is to know how many calories I burned in a workout, I'm not bothered about anything else. The FT4 is easy to use, comfy to wear, the only thing is don't forget to wash the strap! I thought it was broken because it wasn't recording my heart rate properly, it started saying 210, then 60, then 0... so I bought all new batteries even though it was only a few weeks old, that didn't fix it, turns out I wasn't washing the strap properly, you need to wash it with soap (I use a squirt of antibacterial liquid hand soap) and rinse it well under the tap, it takes less than a minute but it's been working fine since :smile:

I wouldn't be without a HRM now I've had one, in fact I hate guessing calories burned when I haven't had my polar with me at the time!!
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4. Best 90 bucks I ever spent.
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    I'm not up on HRM either but i was thinking about buying one for my son for Christmas, he mainly does weights
    training, would i be wasting my time buying him one, if not what one would you sugest for weight training. thanks in advance.

sorry didn't mean to butt in on your question. ;-)
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    No regrets just wish i had known about them ages ago
    I have actually ended up going out with the chest strap on because ive forgot i had it on i dont notice it pretty much at all unless i put it on all twisted up or something
    so far its always managed to pick my heart rate up with no probs

mine is a polar also cant remember what number though lol
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE mine! Have a Polar FT60 (w/ a chest strap). Wouldn't have it any other way.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My FT4 is my best friend :happy:

I hardly notice the chest strap and I can only guess as a lady who most probably wears a bra ever day, you'll hardly notice it too because it'll sit just underneath it :happy:

The FT4 is an excellent entry-level HRM. It's child's play to setup and use and it's better than relying on MFP's calculations which are a bit whacko to be honest.

BTW... don't forget that while the HRM calculates the calories based on your heart-rate, you ought to subtract your TDEE-Calories from that total before your log them, to give a more accurate figure.

Good luck!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I debated for a long time before I bought my FT4. It seemed like a lot of money to lay out just to know what my heart was doing, but I have found it to be a great motivator.

The ones with the chest strap truly are the best. I have had no problem with rubbing or discomfort. If you don't want to wear the strap, there are sports bras available that have the snaps for the chest piece.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Cardio-Sports-Bra/dp/B001RIIITE
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

BTW... don't forget that while the HRM calculates the calories based on your heart-rate, you ought to subtract your TDEE-Calories from that total before your log them, to give a more accurate figure.

I'm might sound like a bit of a nuff nuff but whats TDEE calories?
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I bought a wrist watch one and I love it.
  • mamapaints
    mamapaints Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you have been so helpful! I will have to wait until payday but now I'll have a few days to do some more research!