Kindle

Options
jacquelyn_erika
jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
Looking at getting a Kindle for Christmas this year. Interested in any opinions or reviews! Thanks!

Replies

• Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    MMM. When I did my research I found that the Nook Color was a better deal for the money. I ended up getting gifted the regular Nook from a friend..but I probably would have purchased the Nook Color over the Kindle. Good luck!!!
  • Herownself
    Herownself Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Love it! It's easy on the eyes and easy to read in the sun. It's always in my purse for down times.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Kindle is a great way to show off your digital pictures to friends when you come home again! My friends who have it, love it.
  • hwesp
    hwesp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle and choose it over the Nook. I wanted to read outside and my research said the e-ink screens showed up better than the LCD (color) screens. I've been very pleased with it.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have one and it's awesome! :) I had a Kobo but it isn't as good. Kindle has the feature that you can use it in bright sunlight.
    It's also made by Amazon and you can't go wrong with that. I have been buying my books from Amazon for about five years and they are truly amazing! The best customer service!

Kindle is a great choice! I also have the leather case w/ light and it's great to. A little on the expensive side but judging by reviews all the other ones are bad quality.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle and I love it!!! Never seen a nook so can't compare. When I got a kindle a few weeks later the kindle touch came out! SO take a look at that, looks pretty cool.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Love mine. Main advantages are 1) its light 2) you don't have to store or dispose of books after reading 3) its easy to carry around 4) easy to use 5) downloading books can be inexpensive or even free 6) battery has a long life. Only downside I have come across is that some of my favourite authors' back catalogues are not yet available
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The kindle was one of the best presents Iv'e ever had!
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Love my Kindle! I always have something to read on hand. I get a ton of free books and our library just got set up for Kindle borrowing too. I am never without it when I travel or waiting in the dr's office. I think it's the coolest gadget I've bought in a long while. My husband is jealous and is hoping Santa will bring him one for Christmas. I have an inside scoop from the North Pole and I'm sure he'll get his wish!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle and choose it over the Nook. I wanted to read outside and my research said the e-ink screens showed up better than the LCD (color) screens. I've been very pleased with it.

exactly. the nook isnt good in sunlight. i like to read outdoors(beach, park, at the mall sitting on bench waiting for people etc..) so Kindle was the best choice for me as well.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have had one for a year now, and absolutely love it. I'm actually thinking up getting the new Kindle Fire; but I need to do my research first.
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Kindle is great for reading text-based books.

Not so good for illustrated books and of course it can't do colour for colour illustrations.

I read lots of text based books (novels and things like that) and it's outstanding.

And all the other comments apply. :)

I can have a library in my handbag.

I have an Oberon cover for it which is beautiful and I skinned it with one of the skins from Decalgirl. So it's lovely to look at as well as super easy and useful for reading.
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Kindle. I have the second generation. I love the whispernet and the ability to download a book anytime anywhere in under a minute. Love the option to read a sample. I read so many books I sometimes forget that I read something. Sometimes I read the sample and realize I already read the book - paper version because if it was a Kindle version it tells me I already read it.
  • Doogieboogie
    Doogieboogie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love mine, but I would recomment you get the older model with the keyboard, as scrolling through letters with a little button seems cumbersome and time consuming. There's little difference in the weight between the two. Also, I'd recommend the 3G model, as you can download/browse on the go.

At first, you are very aware that you are reading off a screen, but as time goes by you forget you are reading off a device and you just feel you are reading off a page. The screen is amazing. I recommend you get a little clip-on book light, as in low light it can be difficult to see, and also some sort of cover - the kindle can slip out of your hand easily. I kept letting it slip and hitting the page back/forward buttons - irritating! I bought a cheap silicone cover for it and it's no longer a problem. Amazon do a leather case which looks great, it has a little light in it but it's a bit pricey. Maybe one of my kind friends will buy me one for Christmas!

The whispernet cloud storage is great too, I prefer browsing and downloading off my laptop, as it's easier to navigate, and anything I buy (from the laptop) is wirelessly transmitted to my kindle. Technology? I like to think of it as wizardry! Battery life is good too.

I would highly recommend!!!
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have had my kindle for a little over two years and I love it! I have over 100 books, and a few e-blogs and e-newsletters as well. You can also subscribe and download newspapers and magazines. True, it's not in color, but as others have said, it's good for reading outside. I also like the pre-order option, where you can order a book before it even comes out, and have it download the day it goes on sale! I have taken it on vacation and read on the beach and poolside and never had a problem. Plus, it's much easier than lugging around books you want to read. My husband has ordered me the kindle fire, which I am looking forward to trying out. My only fear is that I won't be able to see it outside as well, but I will keep my older, tried-and-true model for that! ;-)
  • vizamy
    Options
    Just coz I love it.

This is my Kindle 3 in its Oberon cover, lying on top of my Kindle DX in its M-Edge cover. I had the Kindle DX first, choosing the larger Kindle so I could read work documents - I read a lot of journal articles in pdf - but it's also good for reading other books. It's not as easy to slip into the handbag though so I bought the K3 about a year later.

K3andDXincovers.jpg

Here they are showing their skins.

K3andDXcoversopenoroff.jpg
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Kindle vs. Nook: e-ink B/W ereaders
    Kindle Fire vs. Nook Color, Nook Tablet: back-lit color tablets/e-readers

Depends on whether you're looking for a dedicated ereader with e-ink or a multipurpose tablet/ereader that's going to be back-lit. I own both - a Kindle ereader and an HP tablet. I use the Kindle as my primary ereader and my tablet more for web stuff.

Since most of these are sold in-store (the KF will be out this Tues.), try them out in-store first and see if you like it. Also, if you have a friend who owns an ereader and/or tablet, play with theirs. Once you figure out whether you want an ereader or a tablet, then you can narrow it down to Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

If B&N, I'd suggest getting a refurb, since they come with the same warranty as new and are practically in new condition.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I just bought one today and I love it already! I commute quite a way to work so I get through probably at least one book each week so it is going to save me a fortune in money (cheaper or free books) and also storage space (in both my home and my bag - more room for my gym stuff!). I got the new one, without the keyboard and I still thought it was reasonably quick to set up. To be honest, I don't see myself needing to type anything on it again because I will just go on my computer to find new books (much easier to look through the lists on there!). Oh and I figured for me that 3g was a waste of money since I have a good wifi connection at home and can just download a bunch there, ready to go for when I need them :)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Oh and I figured for me that 3g was a waste of money since I have a good wifi connection at home and can just download a bunch there, ready to go for when I need them :)

Yes. The 3g on the Kindle Keyboard is too slow for any kind of web browsing, let alone checking email. There are plenty of wifi hotspots. I think the 3g on the Kindles without keyboard is only for downloading and purchasing books? No web browsing. I don't think you can browse the web on any of the Nook e-ink ereaders as well.
  • vizamy
    Options
    I do use the 3G on my Kindles for looking things up. For example, a person or a thing or a historical period I want more information on, that has come up in my reading. Both the DX and K3 are useful for that.