oatmeal -mushy or watery

Options
I have made oatmeal twice this week. First time in the mircowave and it was too much liquid even though I kept cooking it longer than I was suppose to. This morning I made it on top of the stove and it was too mushy.

Is it suppose to be like soup or mushy?

Replies

• TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Depends on preference. More water = watery, less water= mushy. I prefer the latter.

ETA: This is how you can control the level you want it at. Boil about a couple cups of water (or however much you usually do plus an additional cup). Once hot/boiling, pour some water over the oatmeal and let it sit for a minute. If it's too mushy for you, add a little more until you get it where you like it. Experiment a bit. :-)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I like mine thick.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just depends on how you like it! that is the great thing about oatmeal! I like to make it thick and then add milk and when i eat it I like a little milk on the spoon with a little hunk of the oatmeal, my husband likes his thick and then he adds milk and stirs it around and makes it really thin so he could probably drink it! (but doesn't)
  • klutzydreamer
    klutzydreamer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like mine thick but if you adjust the water levels this controls how it comes out. It might take a few trial and error tries to figure out what you like. Hope it helps!
  • Kaytee233
    Kaytee233 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just depends on how you like it. I make mine with half milk half water and I like it watery! :)
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It can be either way- I like mine kind of watery
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    Like it thicker
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I only use Quaker Oatmeal, 1/2 cup oatmeal to 1 cup of water, I always microwave for 1:30 to 1:33 some days maybe little more or less watery may depend on how cold the water is to start. If it is too thick I add just a touch of skim milk. I could eat it twice a day!
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I like it right in between -- and usually just boil the water and then pour it over the oatmeal until it's the consistency I like.
  • runningto130
    Options
    I like my oatmeal thick too. I cook it using water not milk as I am lactose intolerance. Also I cook in the microwave as I never have time in the a.m. for stovetop, though it is probably healthier. Look on internet for ways to beef up the oatmeal with toppings that are good for you. My favorite is to make regular oatmeal, add a tablespoon or two of unsweetened applesauce, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a few crushed walnuts. Yummy. There are a ton of different ways to top oatmeal so it doesn't get boring :)
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I actually ate at a restaurant once where they put very little water in the oatmeal and then pan-sauteed it into these awesome, delicious triangles... omg.... so yummy!

All a matter of personal preference!
  • suzbluz
    Options
    I can't get past the smell of oatmeal. I love oatmeal cookies, but oatmeal in any form is a problem for me. I wish I could figure out a way to eat it because it is really healthy. Any suggestions? I have to get to the taste before I can work on mushy/watery. :wink:
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel like the instructions for oatmeal have you using waaay too much water, even if you like it on the thinner side.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Are you using instant or normal? I usually use instant and that cooks up just fine...I just cook it a little past recommended time.
  • Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like mine thick enough that the spoon stands up straight in the middle. Weird I know but I am also switching from milk to water and i'm not sure how everyone does water. I like the creaminess of the milk!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Ooooh!
    I like mine to be thick, but smooth. I don't like it when it looks chunky and I don't like it when it is watery.
    If I had to choose I would do more chunky though than watery. The thickness is easier for me to eat, I hate watered down food.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Science lab in the kitchen! Awesome
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I like it thick because that's how my mom always made it. I just boil some water with the electric kettle and pour in however much I want.